Career Corner Blog Posts
Blog posts are a great way for SAP, customers, and partners to share advice, insights into career trends, new opportunities, and personal success stories.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mynynachau
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

mynynachau_0-1670423158832.png

With SAP TechEd kicking off many news and new opportunities to learn, this was for sure a highlight in the last quarter for everyone who wants to upskill. I believe: For your personal and professional growth, you should never stop learning. So I have ambitions and a list with all the things I want to learn. The other day I reviewed that list and my instant reaction was “It’s already December, where did the time go?”. I can cross off learning a new instrument, but then I also see how my ukulele now sits in the corner of the room, dusty and waiting to be played. I probably forgot already how to play that one simple song. My motivation was high when I started but now it almost feels like I need to start over again. I don’t really care if it’s December already. If learning is key for my personal and professional growth (and again, I do believe that), the time is not 2023 or tomorrow. It is now time for making my aspiration a new habit. So, I want to get it back to the list and instead write, “Continue to play”. But how do I continue to play?

According to behaviour scientist B.J. Fogg, it’s “the small changes that change everything”. When it comes to changing your behaviour, he explains that motivation is only (and even the least reliable) one of three factors that need to come together with your ability to do so and the prompt (trigger) when to change. In his book “Tiny Habits”, Fogg is certain that these tiny habits follow a cycle that when they are incorporated into your life, this success is boosting confidence and motivation that even will make you want to aspire for more challenging new habits. The simplicity of this formula shows as it follows: Fogg introduces the ABC-method in which an anchor (A), something part of your daily routines should prompt a new behaviour (B) and lastly be celebrated (C) right after you performed on your new behaviour. So, the effort you invest in creating tiny habits around a new behaviour (could be something you learned new) have more lasting results towards even becoming an expert than the focus on learning something new on its own. So in my example, my ABC-method implementation could be something like this: When I had my Monday dinner (A), I play the ukulele (B) and then I will celebrate it by listening to ukulele music over a cup of tea (C). Now, that’s how I’ll reword my list of things I want to learn new.

Lastly, I agree with Fogg, that it is even more effective to adapt your new habit when surrounding yourself with others who share the same interest and by sharing with them what you learn. Learning together is also much more fun and rewarding when exchanging on aha-moments or helpful tips. Not only is it motivating but also essential for your own personal growth to receive positive or constructive feedback from peers. What are you currently learning or want to learn new? Feel welcome to share with this group where you’re at and ask for help during your learning journey or starting points. You can also share your rephrased list of what you want to learn, maybe by already using the ABC-method by Fogg. One thing you can be sure, when it comes to learning SAP, you’re all set with the community.

IMG_9538.jpg

... and have fun! 

Here are some starting points:
More from 24 Days of SAP Community!
Join a group!
How about the SAP TechEd group?
Learn more about Coursera, SAP’s new partnership
Get started in the Career Corner