Career Corner Discussions
Join the conversation in the Career Corner group to ask career-related questions, find approaches to building skills, and seek career advancements.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is most important to you when interviewing a job candidate?

kaitlingorman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

In my past retail and recruiting experiences I would conduct interviews daily. I learned that past experience is important, but also adaptability, empathy, and leadership skills go a long way in the positions. I found that if the job candidate had these skills they ended up being the most successful.

I feel like every person, company, and position has their own criteria of what would make the best candidate. What is most important to you?

Thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts!

Explore our Career Corner Job Opportunities!

8 REPLIES 8

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

I think it's a combination of being able to answer people questions - for example "what would you do in this situation?" and also technical skills. 

I also think it is important for a candidate to ask good questions, to show that they did some homework on the company.

kaitlingorman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@TammyPowlas I agree with your combination and importance of prior research. Thank you for sharing!!

I believe that adaptability, empathy, and leadership skills are important qualities for a successful candidate to possess, in addition to relevant past experience. Every company and position may have different criteria for what makes a great candidate, but these qualities you mentioned are often valued by employers as they can contribute to the candidate's ability to perform well in the role and adapt to the company's culture. In addition, the ability to work well in a team and to be a good cultural fit can also be important factors that employers consider when hiring. Thank you for sharing!!

I agree teamwork and company cultural fit are 2 very important factors. Thank you for sharing!

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

I also watched a video last night about how to prepare to answer the question "tell me about yourself".  The speaker suggested you should be able to explain your resume in chronological order in 45 seconds, tying to how you are a good fit for the job.

kaitlingorman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I like to think of it as you get stuck in an elevator going to the 10th floor...now 'tell me about yourself'. Thanks so much for sharing!

RichDBlumberg
Participant

Great question! Agree with your point on the "homework." I was on a career panel this past week at Drexel University... the same question came up... As an employer, who's done hundreds of interviews (or more), my team and I look for 2 simple core points from the candidate...
#1: Are they prepared? Did they do their research
#2: Do they have thoughtful questions and engage us based on the job description and adding value
Yes, we look for all the other things such as GPA (if an intern or recent graduate)...work experiences, skills, and education... along with outside work or school activities such as community groups, associations, civic engagement, etc.

However, if #1 & #2 are not met it's a show stopper.... As consultants or employees we prepare for each of our meetings... We expect the same from candidates!:-)

BTW - We give our canidates an email with the types of links that are relevant to us based on SAP and what we do... We make it very easy for those willing to put in a small amount of effort. 

kaitlingorman
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I agree with your #1 and #2 show stoppers. Especially because you make it very easy for them to follow the links to learn more. Thanks for sharing!