Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

24 Days of SAP Community - Door 10: Board Game Season

LauraPD
Community Manager
Community Manager

LauraPD_0-1670617316093.png

December in Germany. The days are very short, and it becomes dark early, outside it is cold and rainy. For some people this is not their favorite time of the year, because outdoor activities like hiking, swimming, and generally spending a lot of time outside are not that pleasant anymore. For me as a board game nerd, however, it's a different story. It is the perfect time to start the board game season 😉

Apart from the day-to-day outdoor activities with our dog Balu, who by the way is a much bigger game fan than we are, the evenings and weekends are now often a bit quieter with family and friends playing board games at home.

From an early age, my dad was a big fan of board games and passed this hobby on to me and my brother at a very early age. The first real strategy games were of course classics like Settlers of Catan and Carcassonne, as well as card games like Canasta and Skipbo. Over the years I have then pursued this passion more and more and introduced many friends to the board game hobby. My game cabinet with 100+ games grows accordingly more and more and new games must be tested immediately. Depending on the group and the mood, even complicated and lengthy expert games may be brought to the table today.

LauraPD_1-1670617349943.png

Besides my job, this is the perfect hobby for me, because board games mean spending quality time with friends and family in which you can talk about everything and at the same time have fun while playing and thus also must think creatively and strategically.

As I mentioned before, I have over 100 games, and it's not exactly easy to pick favorites, but if I were to choose the perfect family games and starter games, they would be …

my top 5 all-time classics for families:

- The Settlers of Catan
- Risk
- Carcassonne
- Skipbo
- Rummikub

… and if it can be more strategic and complex, here are …

my current favorites:

- Ark Nova
- Everdell
- The Cartographer
- Isle of Skye
- Cascadia
- Brass Birmingham
- Terraforming Mars
- Living Forest
- The Isle of Cats
- 7 Wonders Duel

What do you associate with board games? Do you share the same passion? And if so, what are your absolute favorites?

If you have another hobby and would like to talk about it, this post might be interesting for you as well : Whats your Hobby/Passion

Stay tuned for interesting topics in the days to come bring on #SAPCommunity24.

Wish you all a great boardgame season.

4 REPLIES 4

lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Wow - pretty cool @LauraPD! Over 100 board games? The first question that popped up in my head was: where do you store them? I don't have too many, but really like "The Settlers of Catan". Looking forward to play that very soon again with my family 🙂

Join or subscribe to SAP Community Groups to stay up-to-date, including SAP TechEd Group.

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
0 Kudos

I am happy that I at least have 4 of your 5 top classics for families @LauraPD  😁

- The Settlers of Catan
- Risk
- Skipbo
- Rummikub

I also like board games and used to play with my daughter and when we can convince them, with my son and my husband, too 😅

Thanks for sharing! 😊

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

mynynachau
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I love playing boardgames too! I'm excited to try out some of your favourites, they sound interesting. Thanks for sharing, Laura! 

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

I love board games, too!

I purchased this one on this day in 2019 (while holiday shopping with my family at the mall). Consider it a little tease for my Day 21 contribution...coming next week!

game.jpg

Make sure to subscribe to What's New!