Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cryptic Crosswords – submit your SAP-related clue

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

Cryptic crosswords are the best type of crosswords. Maybe you've seen in them puzzles in the Times of London or the New Yorker (how anyone does those I don't know). I've also seen them in Israel papers occasionally (even more difficult for me since those are in Hebrew). But I rarely find people who do them, even though they are really fun.

What are cryptic crosswords?

All cryptic crossword clues appear as a single phrase/sentence but are really made up of 2 parts: a definition and then a description of the spelling of the word. But which side of the phrase/sentence is which – that, you have to figure out. The best clues are those where the phrase/sentence seems like a normal phrase/sentence.

Every clue also shows the number of letters in the answer, very important, since many answers are anagrams of parts of the clue.

For example:

Preppy shirt emplem upset a girl a lot

"Preppy shirt emblem" refers to the Izod Lacoste icon, which is an alligator (really a crocodile, but forget about that). The second part of the clue, "upset a girl a lot", refers to how the word is constructed – "upset" suggests an anagram and "a girl a lot" is an anagram of alligator.

There are other types of clues:

Praise one-time tax out loud

Here, the definition is "Praise" and the answer is "extol". The second part of the clue is a homonym, suggested by the words "out loud", with "one-time" = "ex" and "tax" = "toll" – meaning, the answer sounds like "ex" + "toll".

Scoundrel with Irish accent to be beheaded

Here, the definition is "Scoundrel" and the answer is "rogue". The second part of the clue mentions an "Irish accent", or "brogue" which is "beheaded", that is, the first letter is removed.

All of these are from the latest issue of Games magazine, which I've been reading off and on since college, and which now includes 4 cryptic puzzles.

5478-games-world-of-puzzles-cover-2022-january-1-issue[1].jpg

My first SAP-related clue

OK, it's easy but it's just the beginning. Here's my first SAP-related clue.

Pa’s mixed up about cloud software company (3)

One more thing: You cannot be credited with solving any cryptic crossword clue unless you can decode the 2 parts of the clue, and understand why the answer fits the clue.

Happy solving, and send in your SAP-related cryptic crossword clue.

--------------
See all my blogs and connect with me on Twitter / LinkedIn
13 REPLIES 13

mmcisme1
Active Contributor

This is easy?   I need training wheels.  OK 3 characters.

Pa's - is mixed up version of SAP.   Cloud software company is SAP.   So my answer is SAP.

Sorry for the delay in answering ... not sure how to get email notifications for group messages. Feel free to let me know how.

@Former Member nice going 😀 I'll try to make them a little harder next time. New one coming this week.

--------------

amauryvanespen
Active Participant

Hello @Dan_Wroblewski 
some hints about front end consumer API ?

Really got stuck here 😃 looking for a 9 letters word

Thank you

Amaury

jacobahtan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

stucked here too. managed to solve it? any hints? 😅

4 words - User?

how about question 8?

thank you!

0 Kudos

stuck on 8 and 9 🙄

0 Kudos

8 is related to BTP

9 is a clue I like, but remember to enter it with the hyphene: XX-XXXX

--------------

Question 8 is related to BTP

--------------

jacobahtan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

i've completed! thank you so much for the hints @Dan_Wroblewski i just felt smarter already..

What’s another way of saying an app front end?

--------------

jacobahtan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

ok i just slapped myself in the face!!! haha

hokandil
Explorer
0 Kudos

It is been three days now and I am still stuck on number 8 😩

jacobahtan
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

don't give up! check the hints given by dan!~ i'm sure you will be able to crack this one! 🙂

let me help by giving you more hints:
.. in there you can define auth methods too!

- Question 8 is related to BTP

hokandil
Explorer
0 Kudos

I have reached 😊 , it was hard but fun.

crossword.JPG