Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FIFA World Cup 2022

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor

As we approach the biggest sporting event in the world, the FIFA world cup in November. I would like to see who is a soccer (football / futbol) fan and who are you cheering from if another country besides your own.

63 REPLIES 63

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor

I normally would cheer for Mexico but we have never gone past the top 16 teams. I really enjoy watching great countries such as Brazil, Italy, Spain, Germany, England

Marssel700
Active Contributor

I am from Brazil. We are strong to fight for the title this year. I believe Argentina and France are also good candidates, but besides Brazil I would like to see a fresher champion. May be from Mexico or US. It would be greate because 2026 edition in North America. Let's see 🙂

agalal1
Active Participant

Would really love to see Brazil back in the game! they are much stronger than the results they got in 2018!

agalal1
Active Participant

Well, I would cheer for Egypt, but that's out the window since Senegal kicked us out (or we can say Mane kicked Mo Salah out ðŸ™„), so I'll probably cheer for France since that's where I live now. 

My only concern is that cheering for a strong team is not fun at all, there's no real challenge ðŸ˜Ž 

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

there are various strong teams... so the best should win. France c'est a super equipe. J'aime futbol et AP Gignac du France joue au mon equipe du Mexique, Tigres. 

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

@agalal1  France is doing very well, even with Benzema out before the WC started. I look forward to their next game.

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

US and Mexico are not at the required level and discipline 🙂 (although I wish we were) That's true 2026 will be hosted in Mexico, US and Canada. 

agalal1
Active Participant

Let's not forget that Croatia was surprisingly in 2018 final!

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

here are the groups btw - in case anyone wants to see the brackets

https://www.fifa.com/fifaplus/en/tournaments/mens/worldcup/qatar2022 

RaDominguez
Employee
Employee

🇲🇽 , 🇺🇸 , 🇨🇦  from 💙

🇦🇷 , 🇫🇷  from 🧠

0 Kudos

the teams with the brain are giving you the right results so far. Argentina will have a though last game vs Poland. I think that would be a great game.. they will need to do their best and give it all since Group C is very though

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor

not surprised about the top 10 FIFA rankings. I think Brazil will lead this list for many many more years

https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/men?dateId=id13687

Belgium as number 2 is surprising to me. what country do you think has a good ranking and what country has had a better ranking with the years?  I believe USA has earned the spot, while Mexico continues to be in the top 15 but I do not think they have gotten better IMHO.  109 days to go but I am not counting 🙂

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

I don't mean to be a spoilsport but I may well boycott watching this event, because it should never have been given to Qatar in the first place. These will most likely end up as one of the most unsustainable such events ever. The stadiums will have to be air conditioned due to the heat and have you heard about the hotel & accomodation shortage in Qatar because much of the promised accomodation isn't available? So they are planning/suggesting to house the fans coming from across the globe in neighboring countries and flying(!) them to the games and back on a daily basis. From what I read, these commuter-flights can already be booked. It really beggars belief to even come up with such a plan.

And on top of this are all the issues with how the needed infrastructure was built with cheap labor and bad - and often deadly - working conditions.

So, for me, not really an event to look forward to (even though I usually like to watch at least the games of the German team).

0 Kudos

thanks for the feedback. I did not hear this part of flying people from neighboring countries. it sounds like a pain. Maybe you can still enjoy it from TV at home. In 2026, the FIFA world cup will be hosted in 3 different countries, Canada, USA, and Mexico. I feel like they are also doing this to spread the fans and allow the economies to spread in different countries rather than waiting that much longer to allow some countries to host. As a soccer fan, I am looking forward to watching it. 

As of right now, I haven't watched any of the games and only saw some snippets here or there in the news where it's unavoidable. So I'm somewhat aware of what's happening. I however don't plan to actively watch tonight's "almost final" between Germany and Spain as I don't really care if the German team survives the first round or not.

The blame for my disinterest in the event lies squarely at FIFA's feet, first for giving the championships to Qatar, now trying to greenwash the event as climate neutral (what a farce!) and then with forbidding armbands or clothing with "one love" or pride symbols and colors at apparently Qatar's orders.

Yesterday, I watched the latest episode of John Oliver's Last Week Tonight show which was all about the FIFA soccer world cup and does show some of the images, neither FIFA nor Qatar want people to see or talk about, namely the abusive working and living conditions of the workers building the stadiums. John Oliver makes it clear who is to blame (not the players, but FIFA) and also admits that he'll be watching the games regardless because he's a fan:

My take: At the very least, the players and soccer associations should turn over most if not all of whatever they get out of the world cup to an international fund to support the thousands of migrant workers and the families of the workers who died. That way, at least something good would come out of this.

thank you for sharing your opinions @BaerbelWinkler I also noticed some inconsistencies on the coverage, event and what is going on around the WC. Personally, being a soccer fan I am trying to focus more on the actual game than the politics around it (I know it is very difficult to oversee what is going on around it) but as a true football/soccer fan, I am here to enjoy the great plays, players, the way this sport brings people from all over the world together. I was very pleased by the Japanese fans cleaning the trash from the stadium - I have not seen this in any other fan from any other country. I think some people are still good in the world and we have to see it to appreciate it and hopefully others follow the example. 

RaminS
Participant

I've been a Holland fan since the golden days of Johan Cryuff and Johnny Rep back in the 70's... 

Go Oranje !

maxresdefault.jpg1_P3zUR_W2hTLOFi89LNqNZA.png

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Holland... the orange machine!  I have not been a fan lately since they beat Mexico in the last WC 🙂 with a doubtful pk (Robben).. but they have great players.. the one I remember was Edgar Davids back in the 90s/early 2000s. 

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

I don't really follow football, but incidentally I've been playing the original Commodore 64 Football Manager game from 1984 lately 🙂 It's mainly text-based with animated match highlights and it's really quite addictive. A true "just one more turn" game. Here's a gameplay video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ej3zs7PB-QQ

0 Kudos

lol that is awesome. The game seems legit for being from 1984 (before I was born) lol seems like a predecessor to FIFA now. thank you for sharing this game. I wonder how many other people knew about this one. I didn't but will check it out.

Hahaha... Classic! ðŸ˜…

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

the first game of the world cup is in 10 days!!!! of course next week will be busy at #SAPTechEd... but shortly after everyone goes home and has had enough time to focus back on life, we will ALL be watching the FIFA world cup whether you'll be watching a specific / favorite team or cheering for a favorite player. I am so ready as this is an event that happens every 4 years and it is one that I look forward to. How is your team doing lately as we get closer and closer?  In my opinion Mexico does not seem to be ready ... except for their last night win 4-0 which was surprising. I am not sure if I should be happy or not... new players have just been added to the roster but I am having mixed feelings... what are your thoughts? and are there other countries doing the same thing 10 days before the biggest sporting competition in the world???? give your honest feedback

rcaziraghi
Participant

This time I'll be cheering for Portugal too!

0 Kudos

Portugal!!!  they have an interesting game today vs Uruguay. I am still wondering about the PK on the first game.. .was it or was it not??  either way, it made the game vs Ghana very close and almost ended up with a tie.

ChristyQ
Explorer

I am excited for the World Cup to start . To be honest , we do not watch many matches outside the World Cup,  It creates such a positive and exciting atmosphere .   By default and the homeland of my husband, I always start out supporting Mexico.  Of course , the US  - until both are eliminated.  Maybe this is the year  🙂  they make it 

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

that's great!  Thank you for sharing your team! I am excited it is now 2 days (sunday). Mexico's first game is on tuesday so I will be wearing my jersey soon

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor

wow - today is day 2 of the FIFA world cup and I have seen good soccer already. First of all congratulations to Ecuador on their win to Qatar on the opening game yesterday. Enner Valencia started with 2 gols.. I did not like the new tech that they used for the offside on the goal they called back at minute 3 of that game. I understand that is playing fair and everything but it was probably one of the fastest goals in a WC game. I know Enner Valencia because he played on my favorite soccer team from Mexico, Tigres UANL.

I didn't get a chance to watch the England game vs Iran but I am amazed of so many goals they had. Congrats to England on their first win as well

Today, I woke up at 445am to watch the Argentina game. I wanted to cheer for them, however, Saudi played tough and deserved the win. I really enjoyed watching the second goal... what a kick!!! and all the way across and into the back of the net. Now, I am preparing to watch the Mexico game. I hope they can defend themselves. #VamosTri  

sgmx.jpeg

Group C about to get very interesting as the team moving towards to the last two matches; I was the 4:45am crew as well 🙂

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Mexico vs Poland!!!!   we tied.... but it feels more like a win bc of the missed PK from Poland. I am biased but I think Mexico had more chances in this game.. however, they could not score. Now, they need to prepare and get better for Argentina's game on Saturday.

samarjitsingha
Participant

This time, I hope Brazil wins.

0 Kudos

yeah - Brazil came and did what they do best...   pass the ball, open the field.... and then score.. they are so consistent and such a talented group of players... that's the reason they are ranked number 1 in the FIFA rankings. (not just this group but throughout history of the WC)

0 Kudos

so far they have scored the best goal in the world cup (second one from their game yesterday)

RaulH
Newcomer

Hi Everyone

It is a world event, very interesting and I hope to see excellent matches and interesting game proposals.

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

what team are you following? what's your prediction and what is your experience watching so far?

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I am a little behind on the different games. I am surprised Japan beat Germany. Everyone is probably surprised between that game and also the one from Argentina vs Saudi.

Portugal was closed to being tied by Ghana. Ghana is also such a strong team from Africa and they have been demonstrating the high level of soccer they have. I enjoyed watching that game, I am still not sure if the PK given to Portugal was really a PK or just gave it to Ronaldo bc of who he is. My main complaint about these soccer stars is that they fall too much (Ronaldo, Neymar, Messi) and the fans want to see their great potential in every game...  I hope they can do better in their next game.

Ecuador has been playing good and they continue to be strong and scoring on every game.

I am preparing to watch the USA vs England game. So much history and so much expectation, in the USA, there are tv commercials debating whether it is called soccer or football 🙂 everywhere in the world, it is called football (futbol) but in the US, there is another sport called (american) football. go #USA

Devraj
Active Participant

Quite a few upsets this year so lets see how this goes. I am supporting Germany and England as India is not in the global league.

Morocco v Belgium was a great game. It was awesome to see Morocco win their match.  Another upset and well deserved win 

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

thanks for your comment @Former Member  Germany has a though chance as they are currently 4th place in their group (same with Mexico), however England put themselves ahead with their win against Iran and the tie against the USA. I agree with @ChristyQ  that this WC has had a few upsets which is making it difficult for some of the expected teams to be doing better. I think it also makes it competitive and gives a chance to the lesser known countries to have some recognition for their efforts in such an important world event.