Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Speak for the Trees! Share Your Fav with Me!

jerryjanda
Community Manager
Community Manager

OK, I don't actually speak for the trees, and my poetry leaves a lot to be desired. I confess I'm not much of a Dr. Seuss. I'm not much of Lorax (who, thanks to Seuss, famously declared, "I speak for the trees. I speak for the trees for the trees have no tongues") either. But I do love trees. 

As I chronicled in a separate post, I was a long-time city boy who fell in love with the trees on SAP's Newtown Square campus (as it was once an arboretum). And when it came time to move out of the city for a house in the 'burbs, I was happy to find a place with plenty of trees on its modest property.

My favorite tree rises up next to my pool, and once the weather gets a little warmer, I look forward to floating out back and staring up at it. 

tree.jpg

Which got me thinking: We are currently celebrating Arbor Week, and for each comment, like, question, etc., in the community from now through April 28, SAP will plant a tree. And a discussion about trees would be the perfect opportunity for activity!

Arbor Week is part of SAP Community's 20-year anniversary celebration, and our goal is to plant 20,000 trees -- 1,000 trees for every year of our existence. You can help us hit that number by joining this conversation (or, shameless plug, by giving it a like at least -- because every click counts!). 

Here's what you need to do: In the comments below, share a picture of a favorite tree on your property or in your neighborhood. (Think of it this way: One comment with a tree pic will lead to one real tree planted!)

Live in a relatively tree-free area? No problem. Share a picture of a favorite tree from where you grew up, beloved television show or movie (The Wizard of Oz, maybe?), painting, whatever. You can even leaf this site for a minute to branch out to the Arbor Day Foundation (see what I did there?) where you'll find a great database of tree information that you can use to identify and post a picture of your favorite type of tree. 

Am I barking up the wrong tree by asking you? Well, you could share a picture of your favorite plant instead. (If it's on your desk, you don't even have to get up. Snap, post, and we'll plant!) We just want you to participate, because your participation helps make the community better (and the planet greener!).

Please share below -- and share this conversation on social media. The more engagement we get in our online community, the more good we can do in the communities where we live!

Make sure to subscribe to What's New!
12 REPLIES 12

StephanieMarley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

IMG_2931.jpeg

My evening walk #growtrees

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

VXLozano
Active Contributor

I'm bad at poetry too, but there are people who are not.

poe-tree.jpg

by JT and Nancy Newman (on sale at a place called society6 -not sure if I'm able to put the link, but I must give credit to its authors)

Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Wow you have a pool! We don't have the right climate for a pool here in Ireland - but we certainly have the perfect climate for growing trees. It's sad to think that Ireland had 80% forest coverage once upon a time - oak, hazel, ash, yew and so on.
Like you Jerry, I enjoy the trees in my garden and community. The large tree in your garden is impressive! I took some photos while out walking at the weekend that I can share with you here.

Arbor Week KK.png

At this time of year, the cherry blossoms are in full bloom and just stunning - but the wind is starting to take the blossoms now. We have a woods nearby and I love to see the bluebells thriving in the partial shade of the trees in springtime.

So happy to see this initiative for Arbor Week and looking forward to reading posts from everyone else!

#arborday #gotrees #showlovefortrees

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Beautiful @Katherine_K and so greeeeeeen 🌳🌳🌳 😍

Same here with the pool, although in summer it gets really hot and I see in the neighbourhood many people start building up "flexible" pools in summer 🏝

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I am also so jealous of your pool @jerryjanda 

😎😁😅

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

Here's a picture of trees on a walk home from the Fall:

falltrees.jpg

Anaer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

My favourite tree is the Huyang tree from where I come from (also known as the Populus euphratica). It is the only tree species known to be able to survive the extreme conditions of the desert. Its nickname is "desert hero” — fittingly describes its amazing ability to endure severe cold, wind, drought and sandstorms...  Let's celebrate trees - join Arbor Week with us! One click = One tree!

Screenshot 2023-04-28 at 08.35.22.png

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

There is something really special about the trees in South Africa - at times on our tour, we would stop and watch the sunset:

southafrica.jpg

Photo by Ingo Hilgefort

johna69
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

IMG_0642.jpeg

Grizedale Forest is close to where I grew up and a place I try to visit each time I go home. A picture doesn't reflect the magical smell and feeling of the forest unfortunately.

Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I'd love to walk there @johna69 - what kind of wildlife is there?

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Tree_Madeira.jpg

This was my favorite tree on Madeira island. So beautiful 😍
That day it was quite foggy so it was really magical. These are old laurel trees and the forest there is called "fairy forest" 😊🌳

Wow, that's enchanting! Love it.