Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The best Movie Ever!

former_member27
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Everyone,

I had an interesting question from my son a few days ago and wanted to share:

He asked what do you think is the best movie ever... 

My first response was without thinking TheGod Father..The Good the Bad and the Ugly and I think I kind of revealed my age here 🙂

He is a little bit over 18 so he added a twist to the tale and said No: Only after 1995,

I started mentioning movies not all after 1995 by the way:

Shoshnek Redemption, The FugitiveGoodfellas A Few Good Men  An Unfinished Life, and  Pretty Woman

So i thought I will ask: what is your favorite movie 
And feel free to add categories as well and of course, the date is not that important 🙂

Looking forward to your thoughts

Dedi

Regards,
Dedi Metser
41 REPLIES 41

mmcisme1
Active Contributor

I have to say The Duke is my favorite.   And my favorite is the cowboy movies and not the army.  

1.  Big Jake

2. Spoof - Blazing saddles, Space Balls ( you have to have an off sense of humor for these)

3. The Cube

4. The Shining

5. The new Wonder Woman

6. Red Sonia

7. Resident Evil

And you can mix up the order.  Truly it depends on the day to what my answer will be. There are so many great ones!

PeterMonaghan
Participant

This is such an impossible question to answer because I have so many based on my moods. My Top5 are movies that changed the way I viewed cinema like no other:

1. Miller's Crossing

2. Raiders of the Lost Ark

3. Saving Private Ryan

4. Pulp Fiction

5. Shawshank Redemption

...and about 100 movies fill in spots 6-10

So many and here are some that come to my mind quickly😊

1. Witness

2. Meet the parents

3. Silver Lining's Playbook

4. Big Momma's House

5. The Sound of Music

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

That's exactly how i felt when asked which is why i brought it up 🙂

Regards,

Regards,
Dedi Metser

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

After 1995 would be really tough!

Overall my favorite movie is 1983 Robert Duvall's Tender Mercies.  What a beautiful movie.

Now there are certain movies if I come across I will stop what I am doing and watch them, no matter what:

1. Dirty Dancing

2. Rush Hour

3. Wedding Singer

4. White Christmas

Not sure they make the "favorite" list; that I reserve for Tender Mercies.

You got me with Dirty Dancing 🙂

Regards,
Dedi Metser

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

Here are a few post-1995 favourites off the top of my head:

Scott Pilgrim vs. the World (2010): Hilarious and very, very geeky. Directed by Edgar Wright of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End fame.

L.A. Confidential (1997): Amazing noir crime movie that I've watched so many times I've lost count.

The Dark Knight (2008): Probably my favourite comic book movie.

Sicario (2015): Fantastic thriller by Denis Villeneuve who later did Arrival, Dune and Blade Runner 2049.

V for Vendetta (2005): Probably my second favourite comic book movie.

Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018): Funny and just incredibly cool. It won the Oscar for best animated movie.

manfredKlein
Participant

Classics:

• Conan the Barbarian: "What is best in life?"
  • Gladiator: "Are you not entertained???"
  • 300: "Spartans!! What is your profession??"
  • Pulp Fiction: "This IS a tasty burger!"

Newer:

• Sin City: "Nice coat."
  • Guardians of the Galaxy: "I am Groot."
  • The new Star Treks: "Why do You always have to shoot??"
  • The Expendables I-III: "I heard You were bitten by a Snake?" - "Yes." ... "And after 5 days of agony  ... the snake ... has died."

Hi Manfred,

I was thinking about the Godfather in terms of famous quotes: "Some Day, And That Day May Never Come, I Will Call Upon You To Do A Service For Me.", “I’m Gonna Make Him An Offer He Can’t Refuse.” 
Regards,

Regards,
Dedi Metser

300 and Gladiator are two movies that I have also watched numerous times. Thinking back, Gladiator was actually the first DVD I ever bought. I didn't even have a DVD player yet, in fact 😄

My loving wife once bought me 'Wasabi' with Jean Reno. Turned out it ws a Blue Ray. So we went to the store and got us a Blue Ray player, first.

So we had it similar 😁.

Comments from the crowd:

• The Fast and the Furious: "You can't outrun your fate."
  • Matrix: "There is no spoon."

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

It's really really hard to say, but I definitely like classics like Dirty Dancing, Pretty Woman, Footloose... these movies I loved the early days.

But let me share that I recently read the book "The Help" and by coincident I found out that there is also a film [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Help_(film)]... I really loved that story and also the political background in the US around 1962/1964!

Anyone read or seen this?

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

DellSC
Active Contributor

When my youngest was in college, she had to read The Help.  She liked it so much she passed it to me to read.  I loved it!

-Dell

former_member208
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hey Svea,

I have to say, I liked the book more than the movie. 😄 

I agree with you 100% on the Dirty Dancing one though!

0 Kudos

Hi Svea,

I know Dirty Dancing was about Patrick Swayze 😉 but wasn't Jerry Orbach the best? Did you know he was a song and dance man on Broadway before being the gruff detective on Law and Order?

Daniel

--------------
See all my blogs and connect with me on Twitter / LinkedIn

0 Kudos

I did not! I even had to google Jerry Orbach 😅
I loved the whole firm, the time, the story, the music, the dances... it wasn't just Patrick Swayze 😆

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

NTeunckens
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Topspot for me is a Classic Hitchcock, "Vertigo", a movie that has a plot in a plot with an early twist and then someting else going on ... Watched it many times in a cleaned (digitally mastered) version and I always found something new to focus on. Spot 2 and 3 are more recent movies ...

1. Vertigo
  2. American Psycho
  3. The Big Short

JimSpath
Active Contributor

Dedi (et al):

At first glance, this sounds like one of those "security" questions, like what was your third-grade teacher's name, except the answer might be transient, as what my favorite is now is different than when I was in third grade (that would have been one of The Marx Brothers movies, probably At The Opera).

But digging back in my memory, I have watched many, many movies. When Netflix was running a social site in their rental platform, I not only rated every movie I watched from them, I screen-scraped them into a spreadsheet with thousands of rows.  I started a once-per-year list of my favorite movies. When that platform shut down I moved those posts to a blogging site. For 2021, I will probably have 2 best-of lists, for reasons to be revealed later.

Picking 2010 at random, my favorite movie that year was Inception.

20100714.jpg

Top 10 in 2010 

Per my notes, I saw Inception 3 times that year.

0 Kudos

Hi Jim,

You set the bar way too high 🙂 this is very cool 🙂

Regards,
Dedi Metser

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

Well, I know it falls slightly out of the time frame of "later than 1995", but my all time favorite film is "Dances with Wolves" which I've seen multiple times including the loooong directors cut since it came out in 1990.

Apart from that, I also really like The Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter series which I consider very good adaptations of the respective books.

On the other hand, it has been "ages" since I last watched a movie ...

Cheers

Bärbel

former_member27
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

one more movie that should be somewhere in the top 3-5 by far: The Usual Suspects.

Regards,
Dedi Metser

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

Here's at least some after1995:

1. Arrival

2. The Sixth Sense

3. Titanic

And a few before:

1. Ordinary People (Robert Redford's first film as director)

2. Splendor in the Grass (Warren Beatty's first movie and a breath-taking Natalie Wood)

3. Bonnie and Clyde (Warren beatty again and a radiant Faye Dunaway in one of the best New Hollywood productions) 

--------------

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

Another favourite which also came out after 1995: The Big Lebowski 😄 It's a movie I can watch regularly (in practice it's probably around once a year) without ever getting tired of it.

craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

So hard to say “favorite” - favorite what? Best what? With such subjective choices it’s hard to say but my all time favorite is Casablanca (1942), one that speaks to me “professionally” Pump up the Volume (1990) but to choose a post 1995 one I would say Hackers - which I think was supposed to be thriller/drama but it’s so much more or how about Johnny Mnemonic ?

Wow, I thought I was the only person who enjoyed Johnny Mnemonic. Must be because I was such a huge William Gibson fan back in the day...

Make sure to subscribe to What's New!

0 Kudos

There's a show based on The Peripheral on its way from Amazon. I'll have to get an Amazon subscription by then 😄

DellSC
Active Contributor

My favorite would have to be LoTR.  During US Thanksgiving week just about every year I like to do a 12+ hour extended editing movie marathon of all three movies.

Suryaji26
Participant

muqaddar ka sikandar

0 Kudos

From reading online the story sounds interesting

JimSpath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Drat - unavailable here on Netflix, Hoopla and/or Kanopy. That's the extent of my streams.

yunutuzun
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

My top 5 movies are the followings 🤗

1- The Shawshank Redemption

2- The Intouchables

3- The Green Mile

4- Le fabuleux destin d'Amélie Poulain

5- La vita è bella 

Thanks a lot for sharing:). I will those I didn't watch yet to my watch list.

juliusterry
Newcomer

Thanks !!

FxGk
Participant

That is really good question. 
One of my favorite movies is Forrest Gump but the best production of all time in my opinion is the The lord of the rings trilogy.

RAHEEL_BABAR
Active Contributor

My best movie in childhood is Baby's Day Out 😋

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

The most fun I had at a movie (excluding dates) is a tie between Strange Brew (“You hosers!”) and Airplane! (“And don’t call me Shirley)

--------------

0 Kudos

Meet the Parents always makes me laugh. There are so many good movies. Looking forward to seeing others!!

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

greg_not_so
Explorer

Eurovision, for the joke about Starbucks.

cristineyoungj
Newcomer

"Eurovision" sure has its memorable moments! That Starbucks joke definitely adds to the fun. Speaking of which, have you checked out any of the best recent movies? There might be some hidden gems waiting for you to discover!