Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unveiling the Traveler's Mindset: How Not to Be a Tourist

mynynachau
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Traveling is an exciting experience that opens doors to new cultures, breathtaking landscapes, and unforgettable memories. Yet, there is an undeniable stereotype attached to being a tourist, often associated with cluelessness, cultural insensitivity, and the inability to truly immerse oneself in the local environment, nowadays searching for the best 'instagramable' photo shots. The thought-provoking documentary "The Last Tourist" sheds light on the concept of being a traveler rather than a tourist, inspiring us to rethink our approach to exploring the world. Now, in times after covid-lockdown and as many are longing for their vacations, I want to delve into the key lessons from the documentary and explore ways in which we can embrace the mindset of a true traveler.

1. Foster Curiosity: To break free from the tourist mold, it is vital to cultivate curiosity. Embrace the unknown, seek out authentic experiences, and be open to learning about different cultures. Ask questions, engage with locals, and show genuine interest in their way of life. By approaching each destination with a thirst for knowledge, you can gain a deeper understanding of the world and the people who inhabit it.

2. Embrace Spontaneity: The documentary emphasizes the importance of letting go of rigid itineraries and embracing spontaneity. While planning can be helpful, leave room for unexpected encounters and serendipitous moments. Explore hidden gems, and interact with locals to gain unique insights into the destination. Some of the most memorable experiences happen when we allow ourselves to deviate from the planned route.

3. Show Respect: One of the crucial aspects of being a traveler rather than a tourist is to exhibit respect towards the local culture, traditions, and customs. Educate yourself about the local etiquette, dress modestly when required, and be mindful of local sensitivities. Treat the local population with kindness, and avoid behaviors that may be considered offensive or disruptive. Remember, you are a guest in their country, and respecting their way of life is essential.

4. Seek Authentic Experiences: Touristy attractions are often crowded and can feel artificial. Instead, strive to seek out authentic experiences that allow you to connect with the local culture. Dine at local eateries, visit lesser-known landmarks, participate in cultural events, or take part in community-based initiatives. By doing so, you not only support the local economy but also create meaningful memories that go beyond the surface-level tourist experience.

5. Be Mindful of Sustainability: Traveling responsibly and minimizing our ecological footprint is crucial for preserving the beauty of the destinations we visit. The documentary encourages us to be mindful of our impact on the environment and local communities. Opt for eco-friendly accommodations, reduce plastic usage, support local businesses, and respect wildlife and natural habitats. Avoid visiting tourist attractions that involve activities with animals for your entertainment. By making conscious choices, we can contribute to the preservation of the world's wonders for generations to come.

Conclusion: "The Last Tourist" documentary invites us to reflect upon our travel habits and challenges us to adopt the mindset of a traveler rather than a tourist. By embracing curiosity, spontaneity, respect, and a quest for authenticity, we can unlock the true essence of a destination and forge meaningful connections with the local culture. Let us strive to be conscious travelers, exploring the world with an open mind, a compassionate heart, and a profound respect for the places we visit. In doing so, we can create transformative travel experiences that leave a positive impact on both ourselves and the communities we encounter along the way.

I will never forget biking in the foggy dawn with a local through the empty streets of Beijing, the fisherman's happy smile when showing me his snapshots of whale sightings, the heartwarming welcome and meal by total strangers in the east of the Mauritian Island that felt like long lost family members inviting for dinner.

What were your best travel experiences? What are the fireside chat stories you'd tell your grandchildren about your travels? I'd love to see your reply below.

Feel welcome to also join or follow the discussion around the question: What have been your favorite places you travelled to and why? 

Lastly, as I publish this post on World Oceans Day, and you may plan your next travels at the beaches, some useful tips to protect the oceans should be mentioned: reduce single-use-plastic, choose ocean-friendly sunscreen that doesn't contain oxybenzone and octinoxate, support sustainable businesses. Or how about picking up some waste? Read here how my colleague Katherine took the initiative.

20230422_174603edit.jpgA beautiful sunset in Mauritius over the Indian Ocean

5 REPLIES 5

Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

That's a great read @mynynachau!! Sounds like you've had amazing travel experiences. A lot of it reads like common sense, but at the same time you're thinking - do we do this enough?

One of my favourite travel memories is deep sea fishing with a local fisherman off the northern coast of Norway. We were a small group, freezing cold of course with lots of clothing layers on us. We had a bbq after with complete strangers (locals) and none of the fish was wasted. It was a long time ago but I remember catching cod and rock salmon. It was difficult for us with the language barrier but then I guess "hmm" yummy can sound similar in any language 😊 so we bonded over late supper with the beautiful midnight sun as a backdrop to our dining - a very unique experience.

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

Lovely, thanks for sharing Katherine! I can totally relate to the moment there is no language barrier anymore as soon as there is a common understanding, oftentimes in relation to our basic human needs 🙂 

Vitaliy-R
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

Knowing someone local is one of the best ways to turn from a tourist to a discoverer 😉 

VitaliyR_0-1686501636572.jpeg

100%!!! 🍻 😃 As it was also the first time for me to have tartare and a pinky-red vodka! Thank you also for your craftbeer wisdom and being such a welcoming host in Wroclaw, Vitaliy!  🤗 🤗🤗

This is so true @Vitaliy-R !! Any time you know someone at the place you get the best tour! I visited Vancouver once and met up with an old work colleague of mine - got the best free guided tour ever!

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----