Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who rides?

craigcmehil
Community Manager
Community Manager

So we have a thread for cars, food, cycling, lego, contributing to a virtual band, so why not one for those who ride?

Do you ride? I recently decided to get back on the two wheel scene - having had my first bike when I was like 10 (paid out of my own pocket even) up to leaving all motorcycles behind 20 years ago when I moved to Germany to finally this year deciding why not…

F499077D-F0D1-4F7F-8366-2F1F755FED65.jpeg

Of course I went in a completely new direction for myself and went full electric. So what do you ride?

17 REPLIES 17

PierreCol
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I ride motorbikes for more than 40 years now.

After having started with 2 Hondas in the 80s-90s of last century, I moved to Ducati almost 25 years ago: I had the chance to ride some of the most exciting sportsbikes from that italian brand, including 916, 998 S, Desmosedici RR, and now a Panigale 1299 R Final Edition:

1299RFESaint Clémentsous Valsonnedroite.jpg

Happy to meet other bikers from SAP Community!

Nice! I was dirt bike kid when I was younger but moved on to cruisers after that - and now I am an oddball cruiser electric person lol

Hi Pierre! Pretty cool!

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

former_member208
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Wow Craig, that thing is both weird and awesome! I hope you don't mind, I have many questions 🙂

1. It looks to me like it has a motor in the rear hub with the battery pack placed in that lower black bit, is that correct?

2. How much torque are you putting down?

3. What is the top speed? I would be more than a little concerned with riding at higher speeds with all that air moving through the frame.

I currently ride a new Africa Twin. I started my riding career late in the game, at 30 actually. I have gone though 4 bikes since starting. All naked bikes until this one 🙂PXL_20210709_155446104 (002).jpg

Surprisingly the battery is actually in the bottom of that big open space where an engine normally would be and yes it’s a rear hub mounted motor.

The motor is 2000W that’s regulated to 50KMh with a solid 50km range (for me) someone lighter would get upwards towards the max range of 75km. It’s a 60V 30Ah battery.

If you were to remove the regulated speed control (which is possible) as some EU countries have different limits for this classification of road legal bike - I’ve heard of them going as fast as 75KMh. Since here in Germany it’s only legal at 50KMh I’ve not bothered to fiddle with it and have been content with the speeds I’m getting and the distances.

In terms of torque I had to just grab a screenshot from a Youtube video review I did - must have deleted the image after I uploaded the video. Hopefully not to grainy as you can see though the specs are slighly off. The one I have is basically a Gen 2 model and I’m not sure they updated the manual it came with (which was labeled with the Gen 1 model name)

It’s got a kick right off and quickly hits top speed but it’s no racer 🙂 one of the funniest stories so far I’ve had was being stuck behind a caravan of tractors and farm vehicles and having a guy on a motorcycle ride up next to me and then stick with me asking questions while we wound through the curvy roads stuck going around 20KMh

C5A4FAE7-771A-44F9-A05E-1287C11E2865.jpeg

audreystevenson
Community Manager
Community Manager

@former_member208 I think I have you beat: I started riding my own when I turned 40 (I rode pillion many years prior to that). One of the best decisions I ever made. 

I've had my R1150RT since 2004, and it still purrs like a kitten when I take it out for a spin. This photo is from a ride about a month ago; my husband and I rode from our home in Santa Rosa (north of San Francisco) out to Tomales Bay on the coast to grab some oysters and clam chowder for lunch.

AudreyMC_2.jpg

I guess it's never too old to learn a new skill or hobby! 🙂

I am jealous of your location for sure, you get extended riding seasons! I am located in Southern Germany and it's currently -2C....fingers crossed for a late November hot spell?

AndreasMuno
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

We must be NorCal neighbors, Audrey, and share that we got into riding bikes "late in life". I've only been riding since 2011 myself, then 39. My husband and I come through Tomales Bay and the Santa Rosa area probably a dozen times per year, lately on a 2019 BMW R1250GS. When you see two orange helmets on a blue bike, that's us.    

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

I am not a biker at all but this one looks so cool, @craigcmehil  😍

(you know already that I like it, right? 😅)

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

You might have mentioned it once before lol

MortenWittrock
Active Contributor

Does riding a motorcycle in Cyberpunk 2077 count? 😄

Does it feel exciting and fun?

It kinda does, yeah 🙂 It also feels more cyberpunk-y than driving a car.

I did strike me as odd how many of the vehicles have combustion engines. Surely by 2077 that would not be the case.

0 Kudos

Now that I personally have an electric one there have been several games and movies that the combustion engine ones stand out now as odd lol

Riding in memory of Jackie Welles... 🙂

(I hope that isn't a spoiler at this point.)

Make sure to subscribe to What's New!

AndreasMuno
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

I had no idea you were a rider, Craig. I love your bike style, used to ride a Harley but converted to adventure and electric. Can't wait for Zero or BMW to make a truly capable electric adventure bike some time soon...

Electric bicycle (in-frame batteries), near Palo AltoElectric bicycle (in-frame batteries), near Palo AltoICE 2019 BMW  R1250GS, off  9  Mile Canyon Road, CAICE 2019 BMW R1250GS, off 9 Mile Canyon Road, CADeath Valley, at Eureka Dunes, ICE 2013 BMW F800GS (sold)Death Valley, at Eureka Dunes, ICE 2013 BMW F800GS (sold)2019 Zero FX electric moto2019 Zero FX electric moto

That first dirt bike was when I was 10 living in Italy, then on from there in the US with cruiser styles until Germany in the 2000s where I just didn't really bother to do it anymore until last year 🙂 Counting the days now to decent weather and I can haul it out of the basement, dust it off and check everything for the first ride. March 1st to get the new license can't come fast enough.