Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your hobby? What's your passion?

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone,

Here's the definition for "Hobby" from Miriam-Webster's site:

1. Small Old World Falcon
  2. What a person does outside of his routine, especially for relaxation.

In this post I would like to focus on the second definition 🙂

When the kids were younger I had less time for hobbies but in the last few years they became more independent and that freed more time for me to do things that I like. Also, in the last few years we all had more time at home and it was essential to keep everyone in the family busy so the time stuck together went by nicely:).

My hobbies include:

Cooking- I've been cooking since I was little. Recently I was into making dreams come true where I made my childhood's favourite snacks that you would buy in a store such as chips (also sweet potato) , Bisli (spicy fried pasta snack) and also other finger food such as Falafel, Hummus, Pita bread, Sushi and more. You can check out the pictures and other great stuff that people made in this very popular and tasty thread.

sweetpotato (1).jpg

Hummus (2).jpg

Falafel2 (1).jpg

IMG_20220118_113237.jpg 

Carpentry- I was fortunate to take a carpentry course recently where we made unique shelves. I also bought my own tools so I have the flexibility to create more things at home. I love working with recycled wood which turns things that were doomed to be in the garbage to things that make my kids happy.

IMG_0202.jpg

Sports- Sports really makes feel better and calmer. I love the most a long walk on the beach but also my 6 KM outdoor run once in every two days also makes me very happy.

Poetry- Sometimes in the right mood I love to write to have a souvenir of a special moment or feeling. When I was younger I wrote a daily diary and it was really good for the soul.

Dancing- I love closing my eyes when in a festival or a party, concentrate on the music.

Well, these are (also) my hobbies? What are yours? What makes you happy? Feel free to share in a reply just the name of the hobby, a picture, a couple of lines or even tips for first steps for other community members interested in it.

88 REPLIES 88

0 Kudos

Looks amazing. Did you use a ready plan or came-up with one of your own

JimSpath
Active Contributor

Moshe:

Plan? Probably not detailed schematics, but since this project was done over 30 years ago I am not certain. I believe I took the angles from a writing desk design, increasing the height to what you see.

I was fortunate enough to meet one of my mentors around that time (I was the only one who brought one of his books to be autographed).

CIMG0028.jpg

0 Kudos

Really Its nice one..

0 Kudos

@JimSpath Will you rate the new Top Gun movie that will hit the box office this weekend?

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

@Steph I won't be rating that film as we won't be attending this almost-terrific line-up at the one-and-only local drive-in movie theatre. Let's just say we will be remembering the dearly departed and not celebrating anything to do with force and violence. I will be working at a small venue that is having a *bleep* short film festival [ Calendar here: creativealliance.org ].

bengies-mem-day-2022.jfif

kaviarasan
Explorer

Poem makes a new world a perfect  better world. Its also a way to fullfill our birth reason and peaceful path to reach the god,

regards,

kaviarasan.( king of poet )

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for sharing. Anything special you would recommend? 

Anything on the ocean!!! 

Leslie Lessig

IMG_0574.JPGIMG_2144.JPG

0 Kudos

Nice! Looks amazing. Where were those pictures taken? Have you been diving for many years? What is the most special place you have ever dived in?

0 Kudos

@former_member7147 

Really Its so amazing , Nice click ... 

0 Kudos

Dang! That looks so interesting. 

I have it on my ToDo list already to do scuba diving. 

0 Kudos

wow~

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

former_member4251
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Homebrewing, Cooking and Sailing

Luis Felipe Lanz
SAP BTP Customer Success Partner

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot for sharing Luis:).

What kind of brewing is your favorite? Any pictures of yummy dishes?

former_member4251
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Osh, check out http://www.infielbeer.com is for social, not for sale 🙂

Luis Felipe Lanz
SAP BTP Customer Success Partner

Looks super cool and the type of Beer I would enjoy:)

former_member8821
Active Participant

I love dance, Music, Poetry and making a NEW Friends,

I can totally relate. What is your favorite music to dance to? Any favorite artist? 

@moshenaveh 

I would love to dance with my local "Ras-Garba", In india we are celebrate one festival its call Navratri and it going on around 9 days and we are doing "Ras-Garba" at night only.

Thanks a lot for sharing:) I'm now listening to a clip on YouTube with this kind of music. Thank you!

NTeunckens
Active Contributor

For me, it's Sports and Beer.
I know, not the best combination to pursue together but great separate hobbies ...
I mainly do some Roadcycling, Running, and the odd MTB trail ...
And as a member of a local Beer-tasting-club, I like to discover new, local (Belgian) Beers every once and a while.

Come to think of it, I'll just have a nice Beer after the SAPCommunity-Run on Wednesday ... so in fact I dó combine both hobbies, haha!

Sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing. The tasting club is where people bring Beers they made to get feedback?

Well, that can be the case, allthough it usually revolves around Tasting a particular Style of Beer, or perhaps a range of commercial Beers in the same Region or from a specific Brewery ... Sometimes, there is a running Theme, such as a Halloween or Winter Theme ...
We're trying to be Creative and low and behold, we always find new Themes or interesting Angles to talk about and taste them ... 😁

0 Kudos

Very interesting. Can already think of stories that can be told on specific regions and yes, I think about the special snacks they eat accompanying the beer:)

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

Not sure if "hobby" is the correct term, but I'm a bit of a science nerd albeit without having a background in science. Some of you know that I'm involved with the website Skeptical Science and via that involvement I even have a few peer-reviewed papers as a co-author - something I never really thought would happen! I also like to attend science conferences every once in a while and one I regularly participate in is the annual General Assembly of the European Geosciences Union (EGU) which - unless Corona interferes - takes place in Vienna. This year it was organized as a hybrid event from May 23 to 27 with 7,315 attendees from 89 countries participating on site in Vienna, accompanied by 7,002 virtual attendees from 116 countries. There were 12,332 presentations in 791 sessions and I picked about a dozen or so which were mostly related to science communication and education. I also had a short presentation about the Cranky Uncle game in a session called "Games for Geosciences". In case you'd like to read a lot more about the conference and my activities there, please check my personal diary published as a blog post on Skeptical Science.

EGU22-ShareGraphic.png

Cheers

Bärbel

Looks fascinating. Thanks for sharing.

Do you remember when was your first encounter with this majestic topic?

Thanks, Moshe!

The tl;dr version: I really got interested in the topic of climate change after watching Al Gore's An Inconvenient Truth in 2007 when it became available in Germany. The long version is here.

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I've probably shared this before but one of the things I enjoy most is dancing! It can be any kind of dancing. Dancing in a party/festival, contact improvisation,  dancing with my children (great trick to lift their spirit and energy) and also salsa:

IMG_0702small.jpg

I've been trying to learn how to dance Salsa on and off for the last 20 years. The problem was that I was never consistent. But this time it's different. It has been a couple months now and I'm really enjoying it. It's a great way to meet people and I can't wait for the moment where I will be able to remember all the names of the moves naturally and dance freely like I do free style:).

Anyone here dances? Salsa? Happy to hear your experiences and even pictures of you in action:)  

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello Everyone,

Today I would like to share with you an amazing long weekend I had which ties to one of my biggest passions, dance.

After spending amazing time with kids traveling, I had a couple of days for myself at the end of my vacation. I randomly saw an ad on Facebook for a modern dance retreat. A couple of minutes before I saw the ad I thought to myself how I would like to get more into dancing so it was a perfect match.

The weekend was mind-blowing. We learned different dance techniques and met amazing dancers and friends.

One of the activities I enjoyed most was a dance we did in the local skate park where we combined elements of dance and skating:

skatepark.jpg

How about you? Did you have a chance to experience any new hobbies recently?

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Dancing sounds great, Moshe 😃
Glad you find a new hobby.

For me it's Yoga. I have been doing sports all my life, beginning with playing handball as a child, teaching my cardio classes for more than 25 years, running, mountain biking, snowboarden and many more. Since the beginning of the year, I am doing an education to become a Yoga teacher. I will finish my qualification for the 200 lessons in September. In the beginning I wasn't sure if I ever want to teach or if I only want to experience and learn the Yoga philosophy. End of July, by accident, I got the opportunity to teach Yoga classes during a tennis tournament here in my city and since then I proceed teaching it once a week. It's so amazing and I am thrilled how many people like it and join my classes. I'll definitely will continue that 😆 And what's best - at the moment it's under the blue sky! It's so beautiful to have Yoga classes outside. I enjoy it so much! Here is one impression of one of the last sessions (it was during the introduction 😉😞 Yoga_1.jpg

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

Well done! I'd imagine you are a great teacher. So many health-focussed hobbies as well, sounds great.

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

Thank you Katherine 😊

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

@sveabecker  Looks amazing! Can't wait to attend a Yoga class by you in the real world:)

Thank you - I wish that would be possible sometime 😊

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

I'm debating whether what I'm about to share today classifies as a hobby but it does pass the criteria I listed initially "What a person does outside of his routine, especially for relaxation" so I will go ahead:

I love volunteering. There is something really spirit-lifting when you give from yourself to others without expecting to get something in return. I thought of sharing an amazing experience I had yesterday as it might inspire others to share also recent volunteering experiences which can enrich us all.  

A couple of weeks ago I saw an Ad on Facebook by an organization that help couples celebrate their wedding, even if they cannot afford it. They were looking for volunteers to wash dishes, serve food and to dance as one of the guests and make the couple and their friends happy and make it an unforgettable night. Well that exactly what happened:) Was great seeing everyone so happy and knowing I had a part in a happy first step in their life together.

Be sure to check out SAP TechEd 2022

lenastodal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Awww - that sounds lovely! I can imagine why it makes you happy!

Join or subscribe to SAP Community Groups to stay up-to-date, including SAP TechEd Group.

Wow, that is great  @moshenaveh and so sweet. Thanks for sharing! I would love to volunteer for these kind of things too 😍
I oftentimes do volunteer when it comes to society events like baking a cake or selling cake for a good cause.

When my children play soccer and have a league match, we offer/sell coffee, snacks etc. for the watchers but never been dancing or serving on a wedding 😅

@sveabecker  Thanks Svea. Sounds really fun what you are doing:). Besides making people happy you are setting a great role model for your children which is not less important!

pawelwiejkut
Active Participant

Hello all 😊

My free time I'm spending backing a bread. I started this in March, and now I make one only from flour weather and salt.

IMG_1967.JPGIMG_1966.JPGIMG_2078.jpegIMG_2079.jpeg

Yummy... I need breakfast now 😄

No serious - it looks just amazing! Well done! 👏