Coffee Corner Discussions
Get to know other SAP Community members during your coffee break. Join discussions on a variety of topics in a casual environment.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your hobby? What's your passion?

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hello everyone,

Here's the definition for "Hobby" from Miriam-Webster's site:

1. Small Old World Falcon
  2. What a person does outside of his routine, especially for relaxation.

In this post I would like to focus on the second definition 🙂

When the kids were younger I had less time for hobbies but in the last few years they became more independent and that freed more time for me to do things that I like. Also, in the last few years we all had more time at home and it was essential to keep everyone in the family busy so the time stuck together went by nicely:).

My hobbies include:

Cooking- I've been cooking since I was little. Recently I was into making dreams come true where I made my childhood's favourite snacks that you would buy in a store such as chips (also sweet potato) , Bisli (spicy fried pasta snack) and also other finger food such as Falafel, Hummus, Pita bread, Sushi and more. You can check out the pictures and other great stuff that people made in this very popular and tasty thread.

sweetpotato (1).jpg

Hummus (2).jpg

Falafel2 (1).jpg

IMG_20220118_113237.jpg 

Carpentry- I was fortunate to take a carpentry course recently where we made unique shelves. I also bought my own tools so I have the flexibility to create more things at home. I love working with recycled wood which turns things that were doomed to be in the garbage to things that make my kids happy.

IMG_0202.jpg

Sports- Sports really makes feel better and calmer. I love the most a long walk on the beach but also my 6 KM outdoor run once in every two days also makes me very happy.

Poetry- Sometimes in the right mood I love to write to have a souvenir of a special moment or feeling. When I was younger I wrote a daily diary and it was really good for the soul.

Dancing- I love closing my eyes when in a festival or a party, concentrate on the music.

Well, these are (also) my hobbies? What are yours? What makes you happy? Feel free to share in a reply just the name of the hobby, a picture, a couple of lines or even tips for first steps for other community members interested in it.

88 REPLIES 88

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

You can see my talent show entry here: https://blogs.sap.com/2021/10/04/crochet-everyday-sap-community-talent-show-entry/

My Roseanne afghanMy Roseanne afghan

This afghan was patterned after the crochet afghan on the TV Show "Roseanne"

Amazing! Looks very similar to the original.

How long did it take you complete it/TV episodes:)?

My mom made my children such blankets when they were born.

What would you recommend those interested in starting to crochet? Any recommended sites for beginners? 

0 Kudos

I think this YouTube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAxGTnVNJiE is a great start!

During summers, if I was crocheting everyday, it would take a few weeks.

Now I only crochet before work so a scarf could take MONTHs...

allietrzaska
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Tammy - Since your talent show entry, you've inspired me to put more effort into my crocheting hobby!! Here is a little raccoon I made for a friend whose birthday is coming up. She loves raccoons 🙂 This was my first time attempted the amigurumi method of crocheting. 

66804338580__A26BB8D0-75B3-479C-94CC-0D9595640A26.jpg

Now, I'm attempting my first afghan!

OMG. This is amazing. So cute.

Cute 😍

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

I'm so impressed and that you did this by hand 🙂

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

Go Allie!  

Related to raccoons, have you seen this? https://nypost.com/2022/03/05/nyc-raccoon-tried-to-invade-kitchen-through-light-fixture/  

I shared it with @jerryjanda since he is a fan of horror films.  This would be my personal horror film/nightmare.  I did think of this article a few times before going to sleep this past week.

@TammyPowlas @allietrzaska Maybe combine the two into a horror film where Allie's raccoon comes to life and sneaks into people's houses. I wouldn't advise that her friend watch though. 🙂

Make sure to subscribe to What's New!

allietrzaska
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

@TammyPowlas @jerryjanda 

Why must dangerous animals look so cute! that video is crazy. Looks like we need to pitch a raccoon horror film to someone... 😃

0 Kudos

Beautiful Tammy. 

----- Find out What's New in SAP Community - click on "Options - Subscribe" today!-----

StephanieMarley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

A hobby of mine is seeing new places, often on foot 🙂 This picture was taken after hiking to the top of Hunter mountain in Vermont. Hunter is far north in VT and near Burlington, also the home of the University of Vermont. As you can see the view is breathtaking. 

Hunter Mountain VermontHunter Mountain Vermont

Wow. Breathtaking indeed. I was in the New Hampshire and Vermont area 4 years ago and I really enjoyed it.Can't wait to visit it again.

It's beautiful! I notice this is how it looks in Austria, too ... you wouldn't see any difference, I swear!😎

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

Wow - we only really have hills here in Ireland, compared to your mountains and spectacular views. I too love hill walks and coastal walks - and sometimes like to take some nice snaps of the scenery along the way. I've always loved walking - I find it very relaxing. Another hobby I only took up during the Covid lockdowns is rock painting and pebble art - also very calming. 

Connemara.pngDiamond Hill.pngLahinch.png

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

0 Kudos

Beautiful. I've never been and it is on top of my list!

0 Kudos

Well if you ever come to Galway, Diamond Hill is a lovely walk I can show you in Connemara 😉

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

DellSC
Active Contributor

As I've mentioned before, I'm a fiber artist in my (not so) copious spare time.  I spin yarn, knit, weave, teach others how to weave, make various forms of lace, and make dorset and zwirnknopf buttons, quilt, sew, embroider, etc.

This is the first part of a large blackwork sampler called "Save the Stitches":

Blackwork.jpg

And this is an in-progress photo of small tapestry I've been working on for the Prism weave-a-long from Mirrix looms.  I call it "A River Runs Through the Prism":

A River Runs Thru.jpg

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

Beautiful. Art at its best.

How do you keep the desired pattern/design? Do you use a printed image on the back?

DellSC
Active Contributor

For the blackwork I have a set of charts that show where the stitches go.  For the tapestry, I have a kit and some basic instructions that were released every week as part of the weave-a-long - the color interpretation and details I'm developing as I weave it.

-Dell

SvenS
Participant

I've been doing power lifting for a few years now as a hobby, and last year during covid boredom I started doing digital painting and drawing. Here is my most recent work, which is still a work in progress:
 cat.png

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

Really cool! I can imagine my older son loving this as wall decoration for his room. What software do you use? Do you have any art background?

Since I'm only doing it as a hobby and I don't have a lot of time for it, I use a free software called Krita with a small Wacom pallet that you have to attach to your monitor (some really cheap things just to try it out :p). I don't have any art background, I just look at tips from my favourite artists on YouTube and go from there. However some of my friends do have an art background and they give me advice and critique on my works, which helps a lot.

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great tips. Thanks a lot. I'll look it up. When I was sixteen I had my try with designing psychedelic T-shirts and it was fun:)

Yeah it's a lot of fun and I already tried it, it works perfectly fine as long as you set the dpi of an image to at least 300 and use a t-shirt printing company that has high quality material for shirts.

mmcisme1
Active Contributor

I'm tame.  My favorite is going outside, finding the perfect spot with my dogs and reading a book..  I'm glad to have a Kindle with over 7000 books.   I believe I've only read about half of them.

I used to be more interesting - riding and competing with horses.   Those were some crazy days.

0 Kudos

Reading books is not being boring at all:). I wish I had more patience to read more books, but when I do I really enjoy it. Especially in a small, boutique Coffee shop with a nice cup of Coffee in a rainy day.

Speaking of horses, I live in the desert, I suddenly saw yesterday seven beautiful horses riding freely. It was mesmerizing and felt like a movie. The horse races sounds very interesting. How does the training process goes? I'm sure it involves both the skill of the horses and the rider.

vipinborole
Explorer

I have hobby of keeping natural aquarium. (Father Fish system).

Below is his youtube channel where all the information is available

https://www.youtube.com/c/FatherFish

It's very relaxing to watch the fishes in the natural system.

For the below two natural Father Fish aquarium minimal maintenance is required.

Aquarium1.jpegAquarium2.jpeg

0 Kudos

Very cool. Thanks for sharing. I already feel calmer from looking at the pictures.

How did you get exposed to this? How frequently is it recommended to change the water? How do you select the fish in your aquarium? Are there specific rules? 

0 Kudos

Q: How did you get exposed to this?

My hobby started in 1982 when I was 9years old by catching few guppy and keeping them in beer bottle 😂, all died

Then in 1986 my father gifted me 10 gallon aquarium with some fishes like molly and goldfish, again they died

In 2017 again I tried and again all the fishes died.

Then I came across walsted method where Father Fish has enhanced it by his own experience of 70 years.

This is how I got exposed to natural aquarium

Q: How frequently is it recommended to change the water?

I only top up the water since there is evaporation.

But if water changes are required then only 10% of water is changed otherwise no water changes

Q: How do you select the fish in your aquarium? 

Any tropical fishes of your choice can be selected.

Q: Are there specific rules? 

Rule1 : 1 inch of mud, cover this mud with 2-3 inches of sand and plant heavily, add few fishes

Rule 2: Do not feed your aquarium at all, it will feed itself

and there few more which can be checked in Father Fish youtube channel.

0 Kudos

Wow, amazing. Great story and info. I've learned a lot from you.

For sure if I try having an aquarium again (I had a few failed attempts as well as a child) I will try this method.

JimSpath
Active Contributor

I also do a little carpentry, but here I'll share a bit about movies, which hopefully we'll also talk about with the SAP Champions in our next informal get-together. First, I've had a Netflix account for years, back to when they had their own online community (which was closed down because running that site needed moderators, didn't scale, etc.). I rated movies I rented. Then I decided to rate movies I'd seen in the past. I've got a spreadsheet of my scoring from a few years back after someone posted a script to download the content, somewhere. I did find an early HTML file snagged after I rated the first dozen or so. That was 2006.

movies-youve-seen.png

Their UX had changed a lot since then, though the page title remains:

fotor_1652320621014.jpg

That's 2,545 ratings, a few days ago; I ranked a few more since. 

The related "hobby" is taking pictures of the nearby Bengies Drive-In Theatre, which boasts having the largest screen in the United States. Here is a recent bill:

bengies-20220504-crop.jpg

And, "CUT!"

0 Kudos

Amazing!:)

So you're number 1# movie is Chasing Amy?

JimSpath
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Moshe:

No, that is not how I would interpret that screenshot from my initial ratings attempt. I had rated 17 movies so far, and that one was not yet rated. I cannot tell now how that list was sorted.

I did rate the movie in 2006...

chasing-amy-rating.png

What was my favorite movie in 2006? 

1. The Devil Wears Prada

source: https://jspath55.blogspot.com/2010/03/lists-of-movies-that-played-at-bengies.html

For 1997, I don't have a list handy.

0 Kudos

This is cool Jim. I'm looking forward to hearing more. Devil Wears Prada is one of my personal favorites. I especially enjoy a good comedy like Meet the Fockers. 🙂

0 Kudos

Ah, well, I have that one as 3 stars.

meet-the-fckers.png

History 

• Disc shipped to you on 12/01/05
  • Disc returned on 12/06/05
  • You rated this 3 stars on 12/21/05

I'm more "This Is Spinal Tap!" humor.

JimSpath
Active Contributor

I built a toy box for my sibling's child, who now has children of their own. The design was sturdy!Fotor_165350134851929.jpg