cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Marketing Cloud - Twitter / Facebook Integration

Hello everyone,

I am SAP Marketing Cloud consultant and interested in Social Media Integration (especially: Twitter and Facebook).

In the past, SAP provided Standard Integration Content to establish the integration. More precisely, there are the following Integration Packages (for SAP Cloud Platform Integration, short CPI):

• Facebook Page Integration with SAP Marketing Cloud
  • Twitter Integration with SAP Marketing Cloud

Yesterday (2020-02-03), I realized that the Integration Guides (within both integration packages above) have been changed to deprecated:
https://help.sap.com/viewer/25af8a58fb4a4b3287714902f73e6079/2102.500/en-US/b6e1852a2a39466eb1ce0f49...

What is the reason for the deprecation? Does SAP Marketing Cloud not provide Social Media Marketing in future anymore? Where can I find the "new" integration guide (if it should exist)?

I realized some month ago that the App Sentiment Engagement (for visualizing social postings and creating target groups) has already been removed from SAP Marketing Cloud (without providing a new app that replace this one), but what does the deprecation of the integration guides now precisely mean?

Would be great if somebody could give me feedback on this question.

Thanks and best regards,
Denny

BACKESSI
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Emilia, Do you use SAP Marketing Cloud? Could you please elaborate on your question? Kind regards, Silvia Backes

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

former_member226
Employee
Employee

Hello,

I am not an expert in the topic but my assumption for it would be, as the Sentiment Engagement app is deprecated hence it makes no business use case to pull the information from an external system (like TW/FB) to SMC because its main use case was around analyzing the sentiments for the posts and then target the customer. Since the app itself it removed hence no use case can be built around this.

However, if needed, you can still copy the standard package and import the interaction using it to the marketing cloud system but keep in mind that you will not get any updates for security from SAP in future.

BR

maik_bosch
Contributor

Totally right 🙂

In addition the problem with the social media integration in the past years was always that data is the new oil 😉

So you won't get an identifier from Twitter or Facebook which you can use to match it to your existing contacts (like mobile, phone or email)

Hi Saurabh, hi Maik,

many thanks for your answers. Could you please check and confirm that following statements are correct (from official side of SAP)?

1. The Sentiment Engagement App has been removed. Updates are not planned for future releases. Right?
  2. The Integration Packages
    - Facebook Page Integration with SAP Marketing Cloud
    - Twitter Integration with SAP Marketing Cloud
    are deprecated. Updated are not planned for future releases. Right?
  3. SAP Marketing Cloud will not support Social Media Marketing anymore in future releases. Thus, components like "Sentiment Score", Campaign Template "Facebook Campaign", etc. will be removed in future releases. Right?

I need an official confirmation from SAP on all of these questions.

Which alternative solution for Social Media Marketing does SAP officially suggest (or provide)?

You should know, that many of our clients are currently asking for social media integration. Despite this, SAP seems to be starting to remove all Social media components from SAP Marketing Cloud - at least from my point of view. Therefore, bad news for everyone who want to perform social media marketing via SAP Marketing Cloud, right?

Best regards,
Denny

maik_bosch : Yes, you are right. We need an (unique) identifier of the Facebook user who posted a comment (to some post of the company). Best case would be to get Email on that user from Facebook to possibly merge them with an existing contact in SAP Marketing Cloud (provided email address is a unique identifier for contacts). However, how this has been handled in the past? I'm sure that you had at least something like a Facebook User ID or Facebook User Email Address in the past, right? Does Facebook not provide this information anymore or why it is NOW not possible anymore to mach them?

former_member226
Employee
Employee

Hello Denny,

SAP Community is not the right place to get an official statement from the SAP. I would encourage you to open a support ticket with all your queries to get an official confirmation 🙂

My personal opinion/comment would be:

1. Sentiment Engagement App --> Yes removed from the catalog hence no point of any update.

2. Integration Package --> Yes deprecated and will continue to work but no updates will be provided by SAP in case there is a change in the way how TW/FB API returns the result. Additionally, SAP can completely remove the deprecated functionality/feature in the future.

3. Partially yes...As of today, FB campaign template is supported by SAP but no one can say anything about the future deprecation roadmap.

Hi Saurabh,

many thanks for your answer. Well, I will open a support ticket now to get an official answers on this topic.

Best regards,
Denny

SCHNEIDERT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for that question and the information guys!

0017629228 it would be great if you could keep us updated here if you got some feedback 🙂

Kind regards

Tobias

Hi everyone,

I got an official statement of SAP on that topic that I want to share with you. Here it is:

(...)
For Sentiment Engagement app, it has been deprecated with no replacement in SAP Marketing Cloud and no updates planned in the future. For more information on available alternatives for customers, please refer to the Sentiment Deprecation document I have attached to the ticket.

The integration packages for Facebook Pages and Twitter have been deprecated and there will be no updates planned in the future. The reason around the deprecation was well described by Saurabh Kabra in the SAP Community post. With the deprecation of Sentiment Engagement app, there was no business case for these integration packages. The customer can take up the iflows and apply any necessary changes when the social network changes their interfaces.
SAP Marketing Cloud continues to support Social Media Marketing, specifically through outbound engagement, where Facebook campaigns are a good example.
(...)

Moreover, they send me a "Sentiment Deprecation External Information" PDF document (17 pages, 2.16 MB). But unfortunately, the SAP Community does neither allow to attach PDF files nor files with file size larger than 1 MB. Therefore, I am not able to share it with you here in this post, sorry. If you need the document, please send me a private message via SAP Community here.

Best regards,
Denny

PS: Thank you all once for your helpful support.

SCHNEIDERT
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi 0017629228,

thank you for sharing that information. It would be great if you could share the document with me using PM 🙂

BR Tobias

vervinckt_joyca
Active Contributor

Hmm.

Strange SAP strategy.

Because indeed as you indicate 0017629228 , "many of our clients are currently asking for social media integration".

I wonder if the Emarsys acquisition will bring any changes in this area.

biamat
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello all,

There are several options made available for customers after the deprecation of the Sentiment Engagement app and the social media iflows, including leveraging a partner solution such as Khoros (available on SAP AppCenter) or the SAP Cloud for Service solution, which has social channels integration (Facebook, Twitter, WeChat, YouTube, or create a custom social channel).

Hope this helps.

Best regards,

Bianca

Answers (0)