Dallas Discussions
Welcome to Dallas discussions, a space to discuss local events, network, and share your favorite spots around DFW. If you're not from Dallas, ask us about it
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thanksgiving Traditions

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor

Hello Dallas group. I hope you’re doing well and getting ready for the start of the holiday season. I am writing this blog this week because next week, I will be in Las Vegas attending SAP Tech Ed. As we’re getting closer and closer to the end of 2022, we have a few weeks to wrap up the year. In our country, we have a major holiday coming up, Thanksgiving. This year it will fall on November 24th. (last Thursday in November). Every city around the country has different celebrations and traditions. In Dallas, we have a few yearly celebrations happening:

1. Dallas Cowboys game happening on Nov 24 at 3:30pm. This year, the Cowboys are playing the NY Giants. This year both teams are doing really well and have a winning record so far. The game is supposed to be a good one as both of these teams are also in the same division and makes it a rivalry.

2. Another traditional celebration in Dallas is the Turkey trout run.  https://www.ymcadallas.org/turkeytrot  This run is a 5K or an 8-mile run. Thousands of people participate in this race every year. It is a popular one every November.

3. In most homes, there is a Turkey meal where people bake, grill, or fry turkeys. In my family we have always done a baked Turkey. Our family members usually gather at my in-laws house and we bring sides to go with the turkey such as green beans, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes, gravy and some pie.

4. In our family, we also look at the newspaper ads to see what will be on sale the Friday after thanksgiving – I think this is a tradition around the USA.

If you have been in Dallas for a few years, have you participated in any of these traditions?

What other traditions do you or your family have? Please share and let’s see how many we have in common.

3 REPLIES 3

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

These are cool traditions. We don't really celebrate that in Germany but some go to attend church. I remember when my children were in kindergarten they had a little celebration, too, and they collected food for poor people.

Curious about what others might share 😊

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----

SergioG_TX
Active Contributor

The real celebration has to do with giving thanks for the year. In the early days of our country, this holiday was to thank for the harvest and some prayers. It is a holiday where families gather and enjoy each other's company. One year our family went around the table and everyone shared what we were thankful for that year. I believe that our current world and our lives is going so fast, sometimes we forget to slow down, enjoy and appreciate each other. I am thankful for my health, my family, my colleagues/co-workers and my friends.

That's wonderful. Thank you for sharing! It's always good to take some time for gratefulness, may it be Thanksgiving or year end holidays. 🙂

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----