Devtoberfest Blog Posts
Got something to share with your fellow Devtoberfest participants? Write it up and share it in a post here!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
By popular demand, we will once again have a contest aspect to Devtoberfest. In 2021 we introduced the idea of earning points from a variety of different activities. This expanded the contest to a much greater number of community members.  Therefore, this year’s Devtoberfest contest will again use the same basic structure.

2023-08-18_08-57-30.pngIt will be a points-based contest.  Points are awarded for things like attending one of the educational sessions, completing certain developer tutorials tied to the topic weeks, or other activities that contribute to the SAP Developer Community. Prizes are awarded based upon SAP Community badges which you earn and you must have a public Community profile to participate.

The listing of activities, points, and other contest details is Coming Soon.

But the fun doesn’t end there.  We brought back the animated Contest Gameboard to help you track your progress through the contest.  Just add your SAP Community Profile ID (the one from people.sap.com - https://people.sap.com/#personal_info  - the value you want is the #personal_info part of the URL) to the end of the following URL: https://devrel-tools-prod-scn-badges-srv.cfapps.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/devtoberfestContest/scnId.Her....

And if you are curious how we built the animated gameboard, we have also released the whole thing as a Sample Code repository here.

IMG_7028.JPGWe also have digital prizes that you can win this year. But most exciting, we have a genuinely great grand prize again this year. It's an all-expense paid trip (see details below) to SAP’s Newport Beach office in California to meet with SAP leaders, product experts and an VIP experience at one of area's major tourist destinations. This grand prize includes:
  • Economy round-trip airfare during event specific dates
  • Single Occupancy Hotel Room during event specific dates
  • Airport transfer fees to and from major gateway airports during event specific dates
  • Meals during event specific dates
  • Theme Park ticket, meals, and transportation on specific date
You will need to earn points to qualify for a prize tier and then to be as fair as possible we will perform a random drawing amongst everyone that qualified for that level.  And as always be sure to review the legal terms and conditions. We also have an FAQ About the Grand Prize Trip.

All the possible points for earning activities and the value of each activity are detailed here (Coming Soon).

Complete tutorials, attend sessions, and solve code challenges you might be sporting a nice pair of mouse ears on your VIP prize trip!
118 Comments
Dpacheco
Explorer

Hi! I'm from Venezuela, I try to see my Contest Gameboard, but something is wrong, I've already subscribe to Devtoberfest.

Dpacheco_1-1664661443021.png

Dpacheco_0-1664661422912.png

Dpacheco_2-1664661739091.png

Pleace any advice?
thanks!

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@Dpacheco - when did you register?  The registrations is done via batch load. We pulled the first batch on late Thursday and loaded that Saturday morning. If you registered after that, then it won't be added until a batch load early this week.  But don't worry. Any points you earn will still be counted.  Once your registration is loaded, we will retroactively count any activities you did.

Dpacheco
Explorer

I'll wait then, thank you so much!

muralidhar2796
Explorer

muralidhar2796_0-1664766222470.png

Same with me as well..

Sathees_P
Participant

Hi @thomas_jung,

Able to see my game dashboard by using public profile username. Thanks!

- Sathees

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@Former Member - P924616 is not a valid SAP Community ID.  Make sure that you are using your SAP Community ID.  Go to the SAP Community and click on the person icon in the upper right corner and choose "manage my account".  This will open an URL to people.sap.com.  The SAP Community ID will be displayed in the URL and in the header of the information there. 

Purvang24
Explorer

Cool stuff, already excited to participate 🙂 Cheers!!

Premalatha
Explorer
0 Kudos

Registered today, facing the same issue. I may wait to see after sometime @thomas_jung 

itzmeprems_0-1665128026981.png

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@Former Member - If you just registered today, please give it at least one business day.  As stated, the registrations are loaded in batch.  Therefore, there is some lag between registering and the gameboard showing you your progress. But don't worry, any points you earn during this time are still counted and will be shown retroactively once you can get onto the gameboard. 

raskolnico
Explorer

Hi @thomas_jung 
I am facing the same problem and i have registered a few days ago.
ID : raskolnico 

raskolnico_0-1665265841398.png

muralidhar2796
Explorer

Hi @former_member3183 

I am unable to view the Contest Activities and Points blog. It says Article not Found.

muralidhar2796_0-1665716811991.png

SyedAllaBakshu
Participant
swyng
Explorer

Hi @thomas_jung 

same problem here

alexis_0-1665729673570.png

Mohamed_Yousuf
Participant
0 Kudos

+1

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

Link is fixed and the contest page is available again. Sorry for the inconvenience. 

_Satish_
Participant
0 Kudos

Surprisingly, I'm still unable to track any progress on Contest Gameboard . My community id is m_satish. Although I can see my progress/activities when I login to the community profile (https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/38938) using my email id , I cant see any subscription/activities/badges/progress on my public profile account page  https://people.sap.com/.  Hope to get some clarity regarding the same.

However, none of the above is stopping me to participate in the fantastic set of sessions and exercises as part of Devtoberfest! 😁 

marcobuescher
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

I think I have more than 10k Points and I´m still in level 1. Is it right? I think I had to be a level higher... @thomas_jung 

Regards

Marco

Bildschirmfoto 2022-10-29 um 11.58.18.png

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
Sathees_P
Participant

Hello @thomas_jung ,

I have been completed the all SH Tutorials but #96C587 Bonus Mission Completion badge is neither showing in my profile link / nor reflects in my gameboard link

I would like to complete all the tutorials, and where I could see what are all badges/tutorials I have not been completed yet from Devtoberfest2022 contest. Which may help to reach the Goal (may be needed feature of gamification! )
Please support.

-Sathees

Sandra_Solis
Participant

"I am on the cover of a magazing" !!!

I'm very glad I was there, It still feels as if it just has happened yesterday. Thank you !!!!

#devtoberfest #sap #abap 

creciapaola_ab
Explorer

This will be my first time at this event and I am very happy. I joined the community, I hope you can see my board when the challenges start.

Cheers!

KJara
Discoverer
Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi @KJara - I see that you just joined this group a little while ago. Please be patient and you will be added - registrations are uploaded in batches. Thanks for joining Devtoberfest - and best of luck!

Hi ,

I am facing the issue with Gameboard. I have already join the devtoberfest 2023 couple of weeks back and still having the same issue.

Is it due to multiple account conflict under one Universal ID ?

romil_agrawal_0-1693992611663.png

Regards,

Romil A.

Nidhi
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi ,

I am facing issue with Gameboard. It doesn't recognize my SAP Community Profile ID.

https://devrel-tools-prod-scn-badges-srv.cfapps.eu10.hana.ondemand.com/devtoberfestContest/Nidhi

@Katherine_K can you please help here?

Regards,

Nidhi 

Katherine_K
Community Advocate
Community Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi @former_member122296 and @Nidhi - I see you are both members of this group, although @former_member122296 you just joined on Friday. If it isn't resolved - I would recommend you log a support ticket here.

Rekha_DR
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi @Nidhi : Can you try https://people.sap.com/ . What is your User Name here ? Can you take screenshot and paste here ?

Shilpa_Shankar
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Hi @former_member122296 , @KJara : you should be able to see the gameboard now.. 

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@former_member122296 - have a look at your people profile: SAP People
It doesn't show that you have a Devtoberfest badge. If you have registered/joined the group, make sure that you use the same people profile that is linked to the account that you registered with.  If you have multiple accounts linked to a single Universal ID, it can get complex. However, you can request an account merger.  All of your Community Content (including badges) can be merged into a single primary account on your Universal ID. 

I checked and your Community Account is using an ID that has no connection to a people.sap.com profile. So you did use a different S-User or P-User to sign up for the Community Groups than what you used for your people.sap.com profile.  Therefore the badge isn't getting assigned.  It sounds like you have the situation with multiple identities/profiles under your Universal ID and would suggest that you consider the merge option. Information about Account Merge (sap.com)

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I registered for virtual TechEd, but don't see it reflecting in the Gameboard. 

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@SandipAgarwalla What is the ID you are using in the Gameboard?  Have you received the email that your TechEd badge was assigned?

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello @thomas_jung 

I registered using - "sandip.agarwalla" ID. I can see the 'registered attendee' badge in my profile. 

Shilpa_Shankar
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@SandipAgarwalla : you should be able to see the gameboard with the registration points for TechEd and Devtoberfest.. 

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@SandipAgarwalla - your gameboard shows 1200 points - that's 200 for Devtoberfest registration and 1000 for TechEd registrations.  That's all correct.  I'm not sure why you feel it's not reflecting. 

SandipAgarwalla
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi @thomas_jung  - Somehow, I was thinking I had 1200 points before I registered for the virtual teched. My bad. It's all good now. 

Thanks

martinstenzig
Contributor
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung , I now have the TechEd (in person) attendance badge for this year and 3 other devtoberfest badges, but the contest dashboard only shows 200 points. Any idea what the issue could be? 

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@martinstenzig - I hadn't expected that they were going to use two different badges for TechEd (Virtual & Bangalore).  The original one just said SAP TechEd.  But it's all fixed now as I've added the other badge to the gameboard. Yours reflects 1200 points now correctly.

satya-dev
Participant
0 Kudos

satyadev_0-1694716278509.png

PuntoABAP
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi,

I'm having this issue. How can I resolve it?

PuntoABAP_0-1694748001843.png

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@PuntoABAP - I checked that account on people.sap.com and you have no badges earned. I also checked the member list of the Devtoberfest group. Your ID doesn't show that you've joined the Devtoberfest group yet.  You can register for the Devtoberfest contest (and receive your badge and points) by joining the Devtoberfest group.  Just press the "Join" button on the group home page. 

0 Kudos

Hi @thomas_jung ,

As per your suggestion i have merged my accounts and i can also see the devtoberfest badge assigned to my community profile, still gameboard is not working for community profile.

romil_agrawal_0-1694765929390.png

romil_agrawal_1-1694765987986.png

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@former_member122296 - you have one of the contest Devtoberfest badges but you don't yet have the Devtoberfest registration badge. Your badge is for the tutorial, Create an ABAP Trial User

thomas_jung_0-1694766392686.png

You need to join the Devtoberfest Group in order to get the Participation badge that mades the contest entry possible.

Radhey
Explorer
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung 

I already joined with user  P601242. The join button also disabled but not able to see my points.

Radhey_0-1694769303556.png

PuntoABAP
Discoverer
0 Kudos

@thomas_jung I was already registered in the group

PuntoABAP_0-1694770361459.png

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

@PuntoABAP & @Radhey - I do see you both in the registration list now. But recent additions.  The badge assignment isn't automatic unfortunately. It requires a manual upload that we do every few business days. Most likely yours just aren't upload to the badge system yet, but I pinged the person responsible for that task to double check.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

We just loaded a batch of badges
@PuntoABAP  - I check and your gameboard shows correctly now

@Radhey - You didn't state what your Community ID is so I couldn't check your gameboard.  But let me know if it doesn't show up for you now. 

ALEJONO
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi @thomas_jung .

Greetings from Argentina!

Could you check if my gameboard score is right? ID:alejandro.jose.onorati
The reason of request is I've earned 6 DevtoberFest badges but current score is 1200. Is it correct?

• Devtoberfest 2023 Participant
  • #DAA520 - Devtoberfest 2023 - Create an SAP BTP ABAP Environment Trial User
  • #008B45 - Devtoberfest 2023 - Sign up for an SAP HANA Cloud Trial account
  • #EE9A49 - Devtoberfest 2023 - Start Using SAP HANA Cloud Trial in SAP BTP Cockpit
  • SAP TechEd in 2023 Registered Attendee
  • #228B22 - Devtoberfest 2023 - What is SAP Build and How to Start Your Journey

Kind regards,
Ale.

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

@ALEJONO - that is correct. The contest has not started so no points announced or awarded yet for anything except the TechEd or Devtoberfest registration.  You could see badges already if you completed these tutorials previously.  As soon as we set up the new badges, they automatically grant to anyone who complete the tutorial in the past.  You can't complete a tutorial more than once, so we err on the side of granting these badges retroactively.  On Monday the event will officially start, we will announce all the activities and point values for week 1 and at that time we will turn on those points values in the gameboard. 

ashweyth
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi @thomas_jung,

Real excited, cannot wait for Monday!

Just curios how much longer before our registrations show up in the gameboard?

Top kudoed authors