Devtoberfest Discussions
Join in the conversations with your fellow participants, on anything and everything to do with Devtoberfest!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

🟡 Devtoberfest 2023 Foodtoberfest!!!

josh_bentley
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

Thanks for participating in this Devtoberfest 2023, week 3 activity.  No new responses are being allowed now so we can tally the points earned.

So many great ways to earn points this year.  And now in addition to some fan favorites like Game Night and ##Petoberfest we are launching this special week 3 item:  Foodtoberfest for 500 points!

So this group is a place for you to post a picture, a recipe, a comment, anything you want on the items of food you love.  Something you snack on while coding (energy drinks and bananas come to mind).  Or maybe a family favorite you like to cook, mine is Shakshuka. (pic here, but I will post the recipe in the comments below.  Can't wait to see what everyone else post to earn their extra 500 points in the contest!

shakshuka with feta and eggsshakshuka with feta and eggs

113 REPLIES 113

josh_bentley
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
  • Here is a video I made of me making shakshuka.  Shakshuka is a Northern African/Middle Eastern dish consisting of tomatoes, peppers, onions and spices. A few other items can be changed and woven into the dish.
  • Here are the ingredients and recipe:
  • 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used Spanish)
  • 1 large onion or 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
  • 1 large red bell pepper, remove stem and seeds and slice same as onion
  • 3 garlic cloves, sliced
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1 teaspoon paprika (not smoked, regular or sweet)
  • ⅛ teaspoon ground cayenne (red pepper)
  • 1 (28-ounce) can whole san Marzano plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped, keeping liquid from can as well
  • kosher salt (as needed, at least 1.5 teaspoons)
  • black pepper (as needed, at least 1 teaspoon)
  • 5 ounces plain crumbled feta cheese
  • 6 large eggs
  • Chopped cilantro and hot sauce for garnish (both optional)
  • Bread for dipping (like pita or naan)
  • Step 1 Heat oil in a large skillet (cast iron or anything that can go into oven later, over medium-low.
  • Step 2 Chop onion and bell pepper and add to pan. Add pinch salt and pepper to taste. Cook gently until very soft, about 20 minutes.
  • Step 3 While peppers cooking slice garlic thin and chop tomatoes into chunks.
  • Step 4. Add garlic at end of 20 minutes for about 2 additional minutes or until fragrant.
  • Step 5 Add cumin, paprika and cayenne, and cook 1 minute until all mixed into the onion/pepper/garlic mixture.
  • Step 6 heat oven to 375 Fahrenheit
  • Step 7 Pour in tomatoes and season with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; taste and see if more seasoning needed. Be aware of spice from cayenne when tasting. Simmer on low to medium heat, it should be bubbling but not boiling until tomatoes have thickened, about 10 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if needed. (If waiting to serve later you can stop here and even keep mixture a day or two before continuing to step 8, just reheat on stovetop and continue. Spices will actually be stronger if you do this).
  • Step 8 Stir in crumbled feta.
  • Step 9 Crack eggs into small bowl and then place into a small depression (divot) in tomatoes mixture but not touching bottom of pan. Repeat until all 6 eggs in pan, . season eggs with salt and pepper lightly. (as I mention in video, you can add meat, tofu, anything pre-cooked you want at this step instead of eggs)
  • Step 10 Transfer pan to oven and bake until eggs are just set, 8 to 10 minutes.
  • Optional Sprinkle with cilantro and serve with hot sauce. Serve with pita/naan bread if you like.

@moshenaveh thought of you when I watched the video from @josh_bentley - you might like this Foodtoberfest challenge as well 😊 😋

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

Thanks a lot @Katherine_K ! I love this thread:) Maybe it will inspire to cook this week:)

SMaaLL
Participant

Ma favorit food is beer and pork knuckle 🤤photo_2023-10-02_21-35-29.jpg

photo_2023-10-02_21-35-23.jpg

hac
Explorer

If I were to choose, then this is my favourite dish. Plenty of ways to make it

Sarmale 

Source: WikipediaSource: Wikipedia

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

@hac What are the elements here? Creme and?

in this particular instance you have: cream, polenta ( boiled corn/maize flour) and boiled cabbage leaves filled with minced meat, rice and some seasoning 

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

@hac Thanks! I know polenta from when I made Tacos:) The boiled cabbage leaves is a great idea. I will actually try making it after I make rice-filled Grape leaves (so good!!!). 

Julio
Participant

My homemade sourdough bread is delicius

pan.jpg

moshenaveh
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow! Perfect shape!

ajmaradiaga
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

That is a proper sourdough! Congrats!

gphadnis2000
Participant

Eatble birds nestIMG-20231003-WA0007.jpg

@gphadnis2000 Amazing! What are the eggs made of? 

0 Kudos

😮

homecooked indian delicacies

Rosogulla

RosogullaRosogulla

Onion Kachori

Onion KachoriOnion Kachori

I miss India!:) Looks amazing!

seVladimirs
Active Contributor

Even though summer is over - my favorite dish is Latvian cold beet soup. Frankly, many countries has its own variation, e.g. here in a tweet from @ajmaradiaga https://x.com/ajmrdg/status/1705176676819173594?s=20 you can see the Polish version 🙂 

Here is receipt - https://eng.lsm.lv/article/culture/food-drink/we-hereby-declare-cold-soup-season-open.a458409/ 

seVladimirs_1-1696323286514.png

I was there with @ajmaradiaga and I must say it was one of the best chłodnik I ever had!

Yum! IMG_0206.jpg

maulikparekh
Participant

foodtoberfest indian thali 🙂 

1696326574310.jpg

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

Nothing beats Kansas City BBQ:

kcbbq.jpg

ok, now I'm hungry 😅

Looks Delicious 😋

0 Kudos

Mouth-watering @TammyPowlas 😋

----- Check out the SAP Community events today! Don't miss out on new insights. -----

0 Kudos

Looks awesome 🤤

0 Kudos

I can't say until I try!

Dharinisap
Participant

Dharini_19_sap_4-1696331225721.png

Some of my favourites...

ClaraDiana
Explorer

Food.jpeg

South Indian feast for festival #Foodtoberfest

0 Kudos

Would love to have an Onasadhya.. if possible every day!!

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

I'm going to share some food pictures from last year's Devtoberfest winner's retreat. In case anyone needs extra motivation to try to make it to the top tier to be entered for this year's grand prize.  Good food was a big part of the experience. 

IMG_E7081.JPG

IMG_E7051.JPG

IMG_E6716.JPG

IMG_E6680.JPG

PXL_20230425_005353863.PORTRAIT.jpg

     

The Quantum Pretzel tooThe Quantum Pretzel too

FullAuto
Newcomer

9c958ab6-f0c4-4a1b-b24f-cd0b70e7ee2c.jpg

This is my favorite !!!!!
Oak smoked and grilled pork ribs and cold beer.
veggies are also wood smoked!! 

VladiE
Participant

food.jpeg

DanRo_Chavarria
Discoverer

I love Red Vines, while i'm coding....redvines.jpg

0 Kudos

Red Vines are the best!!! 😊

SyambabuAllu
Contributor

my favorite breakfast ...Pongal (one of the popular south Indian breakfast recipe)

Foodtoberfest.jpeg

Looks good !!  Would love a vadai to go with it 😀

0 Kudos

Thought the same here. The setup looks so good. Only vada was missing! 😉

Sherine
Participant

food.jfif