Devtoberfest Discussions
Join in the conversations with your fellow participants, on anything and everything to do with Devtoberfest!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Build Cryptic Crossword – Can you complete it for 400 points?

Dan_Wroblewski
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

This year's SAP Build cryptic crossword is much better, but also a little harder. All the answers are related somehow to SAP Build.

You can find all the clues, and a little background on cryptic puzzles, in this tutorial: https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/devtoberfest2023-scavenger-cryptic.html

Grid.png

Remember, cryptics are slightly different from regular crosswords, in that clues are made to look like a single phrase or sentence but actually are made up of 2 parts: a definition (like regular crosswords) and then a part that tries to describe how the word is constructed/spelled.

Just enter the answers in the tutorial, no spaces, and see if you can complete the puzzle. If you have any questions or difficulties, post them here.

Good luck 😺

--------------
See all my blogs and connect with me on Twitter / LinkedIn
88 REPLIES 88

0 Kudos

Congrats 🥳

--------------

VladiE
Participant

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-27 um 16.04.06.pngBildschirmfoto 2023-09-27 um 16.06.05.pngI can not log in to the learning hub anymore, login -> it's nothing happens, 

but if I log in in another tab, it seems that all of the questions are answered, but I did not answer the 5. step 15 (5.Down)

0 Kudos

I don't guarantee how the community / learning system works ... but you finished it one way or another 🙂

Did you get your badge?

dan_wroblewski_1-1695823928724.png

--------------

ok, I'm waiting, I did not answer this question, I'm sure.  And I can not really log in to the learning hub, if I open the Task of Devokober, I don't see the state of my answers anymore. I have tried on two laptops (edge (Windows) and Chrome(Mac)).😥

The points for the Crossword I don't get... 😥

0 Kudos

who could help me with the learning hub? My user ist active, but I can not answer the questions...

;(

Just wait. I thinks everyone has a technical error

SMaaLL_0-1695827000085.png

0 Kudos

It works again 😍

0 Kudos

Are you able to do the tutorial now? And when you say the learning hub, not sure what you mean ... you call it learning hub because it has SAP Learning in the top left?

--------------

harsh_itaverma
Participant

Still wondering if the puzzle was difficult or now that it's done, was it easy!!! But no doubt, it was really fun! IMG_20230928_011123.jpg

VijayCR
Active Contributor

Hi All,

its very tough one can someone provide clues on 16,17,19 Steps .Left with only those 3

Thanks,

Vijay

0 Kudos

When you say 16, 17, 19 do you mean "Step XX" or "XX Across/Down"?

---

16 Across is an anagram clue (see here for words that indicate an anagram clue: https://www.crosswordunclued.com/2008/09/anagram-indicators.html) -- I think this was is very doable

17 Down

19 Across 

--------------

I mean 8 down,9down and 12 down 😀

8 Down is an anagram clue (see here for words that indicate an anagram clue: https://www.crosswordunclued.com/2008/09/anagram-indicators.html) -- I think this is very doable. It relates to Build Apps but also applies to Build Process Automation and most programming languages.

9 Down is also anagram clue, and of course relates to Build Apps -- also reasonably doable

12 Down is a hidden clue, where the answer is hidden in the clue

--------------

That's it for now 😺

--------------

Thanks for your clue I could clear the crossword finally 😁 i broke my head for almost 12 hours , however the answers were pretty simple than i expected . Please don't make this complicated in future 😂Capture.PNG

It seems that 12 is too much for my head! I just can't figure it out. I hope it's not too obvious, otherwise I'll be very disappointed.

To anyone wondering: yes, it was obvious! 😅

chaiphon
Contributor

Difficult but Fun 😀. I wouldn't be able to complete it without all hint from comments in this blog. 

chaiphon_0-1695913000611.png

aancos_id2
Participant

Is it still active or is it over?

Yes of course … you can do this until the end of Devtoberfest … lots of time … check out the contest rules … https://groups.community.sap.com/t5/devtoberfest-blog-posts/devtoberfest-2023-contest-official-rules...

--------------

you made it!

It was a personal challenge!

deepan_v_s
Active Participant

Finally, it's over!!

@Dan_Wroblewski It was really good and interesting. I had to admit, I read about lot's of things and some of which were not even linked to the crossword.

By the end of the puzzle I got to understand some new and very interesting things

DevtoberFest_Cryptic.png

@Dan_Wroblewski Forgot to mention, your hints were really helpful.

Without that am not sure how long it would have taken me to crack this. Thanks !!!

ashweyth
Explorer

My goodness that gave me a run for my money! What a good challenge @Dan_Wroblewski Screenshot 2023-10-01 at 3.27.21 PM.png

Thanks for all the tips and thanks a ton to the community too!

MAHERG
Explorer

It Was very entertaining! Thank you @Dan_Wroblewski 

IMG_2512.png

vishalakshmi
Contributor

Hello Daniel,

I am stuck with 10 Across answer, Can you please provide me any clue? 

Thanks,

Lakshmi.

Vishalakshmi Namuduri

vishalakshmi
Contributor

Hello Dan,

I have completed finally...

@Vijay: Thank you for the clue.

vishalakshmi_0-1696438013464.png

Vishalakshmi Namuduri

Julio
Participant

Hi @Dan_Wroblewski 

17 down is making me dreaming with Obama doing illegally things 😄

Can you please gime me a clue?

Thanks and regards!

0 Kudos

One of my better, simpler clues.

"Holds" or "Contains" and similar words indicate a hidden clue where the answer is hidden in another word or set of words.

I see I left off the length of the clue ... it is 4 letters long. I have updated the tutorial to add the word length.

--------------

0 Kudos

Thanks @Dan_Wroblewski 

Only 10 Across is missing and I will finish it. 

Is funny because I have 50% of letters but I don't get it..... any clue please?

Thanks and regards!

0 Kudos

This clue, right?

Obama illegally holds message (4)

So holds is the clue that indicates the word is hidden inside whatever the set of words that's doing the holding. This is related to SAP Build Process Automation, and one of the things you can add in the middle of a process

--------------

Julio
Participant

Blood, sweat and tears.....

Julio_0-1696520294348.png

Thanks @Dan_Wroblewski for the tips!

But it was all about SAP Build!!! Congrats 😼

--------------

vivekprabhu13
Participant

The first time I saw the questions I hardly could get any. I closed the tab and went back to other topics. But today I took it as a challenge and gave it another go. I went through couple of hints and figured out how to tweak my brain to solve it 😅.

Thanks for the little push and the hints. I am all done but one - Step 10 : 22 Across
Need one last nudge !

cryptic.png

Thanks and Regards

Vivek

That is exactly what makes the puzzles so good!! I do the 2 cryptics each issue in Games magazine, and I get abou quarter to a third the first sitting, and then I put it away and somehow ideas get mixed up in my head and the next time I can do more.

22 across answer relates to both Build Apps and Process Automation, but it's a more general topic for all software developers ... it is a double definition ... that should be enough to figure it out.

--------------

Ah ! This was so easy... Thanks so much !!! Completed all of them now 🙂

Regards

Vivek

nicolasgoris
Participant

Together with the help of some colleagues I managed to finish the crossword as well. I really get frustrated if I can't find the solution but when finding it I have the 'Aha-erlebnis' and am happy 🙂

0 Kudos

IT's good knowing I could help make you happy ... thanks for participating 😺

--------------

Foxi
Participant

Great idea!