Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Manuelli
Participant

Background

After having an S/4HANA Cloud system running in productive mode since January, 2019, I want to share some recomendations about what you need to consider if you are going to undertake an S/4HANA Cloud implementation project.

The recommendations below belong to S/4HANA Cloud Multi-tenant, as well known as, S/4HANA Cloud Public Edition, as well known as, S/4HANA Cloud Essentials. Different names for what, now, is known as S/4HANA Cloud. From my point of view, S/4HANA Cloud is the ERP for companies who quickly want a robust, working and stable ERP to run their business and not dedicating time to re-invent the wheel. S/4HANA Cloud is a system for the future that you can use today.

Note: another business scenario where S/4HANA Cloud will be very helpful is the Two Tiers ERP

Recomendations

The below points are what I would have liked to know before starting an S/4HANA Cloud implementation proyect:

1. Follow the compass: SAP Activate methodology, SAP Roadmap viewer and SAP Best Practices. They are great guidance for project implementation and there is a lot of content ready to use: test cases, training, templates,...

2. Change Management is instrumental for a successful implementation. Stakeholders need to accept the changes caused by the project and you should inform to stakeholders in advance the impact on them, when things will occur, when they will have to work and what they will have to do. It is also important that they understand and adopt the cloud mindset

3. Ensure the people/company you hire to implement the project know about S/4HANA Cloud

4. Enable your employees (IT and business Teams) participating in the project - give them an S/4HANA Cloud training.

5. Start with role definition and data migration from the beginning (fit-to-standard).

6. Keep in mind the releases calendar in your planning because for three weeks you will be unable to: Transport changes, request new system, request new scope item or country activation, and other restriction might apply.

7. Avoid developments/extensions wherever you can. Fit-to-Standard approach. Reduce total cost of implementation and total cost of ownership. But also, if you need to extend, do it right and be aware of the different extension options: In-app (new fields, new logic, substitutions, validations,…), side-by-side (BTP) and the new Developer Extensibility.  See SAP Extensibility Explorer for SAP S/4HANA Cloud

8. Leverage custom CDS, custom queries and embedded SAC. Ensure consultants know well these capabilities to offer solutions to your reporting requirements.

9. Consider implementing SAP Cloud Integration to connect your S/4HANA Cloud to other systems. Integration is limited to the published APIs and CDS. Ensure you have consultants with relevant knowledge on SAP Cloud Integration.

10. Consider to build automate testing for regression testing using the Test Automation Tool included in the license.

11. Consider to request and use SAP Cloud ALM. I find this tool very useful for implementation and later for operations.

12. SAP Customer influence program does not work to solve a problem during implementation. It might take months/years to have a new feature implemented. 2963059 - How to Submit Feature Requests for SAP S/4HANA Cloud Product

13. Data archiving: might not be necessary but there is not much documentation. Archiving jobs are executed weekly by SAP weekly so process is slow.

14. Be ready for the cloud latency, system time response is bigger than on-premise and you can do nothing.

Useful links

Here you have a list of links which I think you need to have at hand in your every day work with S/4HANA Cloud.

I hope these points help you in identifying the skills and size of your team, in planning and executing your project and to save time and headaches in your S/4HANA Cloud journey.

I would like to ask you to add in the comments of this blog any other lesson learned you might have or chime in any of my points above. Discussion will be helpful to others.

If you want to know more you can join to the Linkedin group S/4HANACloud

6 Comments
Bobby_Byrne
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Great summary @manuel
Suma_cg2022
Explorer

tryfailtrybetter

Hi Manuel,

Nice summarized view for starters.

I see that you have not mentioned about DDA - Digital Discovery Assessment . For S4HANA Cloud Implementations , SAP typically does the initial assessment to assess a customer's requirements and match them with the best SAP S/4HANA Cloud solution available. Based on the features within the S4 HANA Public Cloud product (and the latest version) compared together with the business scope requirements at the customer side, it helps arrive at the scope items and the list of gaps . Hence it is a tool that helps us to evaluate if the S4HC is the best fit for the customer indeed.

So I would put DDA on the top of the list to help Customer / Service Integration partner to help in Scope understanding and the foundation of Solution architecture – Solution scope in terms of fulfilling gaps, workload/estimation, staffing, pricing etc

DDAs done for different type of entities (in case of deployments to large no of entities) will help arrive at the kind of extensions needed, Pilot choice, Deployment strategy etc.

Refards,

Suma

Manuelli
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks, Suma, for the recomendation. I haven't used the DDA so I cannot talk about its benefits but, as per your comment, it is another point to consider.

Manuelli
Participant
0 Kudos

Related to point 2 and cloud mindset, look at the blogpost The Cloud Mindset by rbyrne

tonjakehrer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Great blog post manuel_lozano! Unfortunately I only found it now. Do you mind adding more tags so others can find it more easily as well? Tag recommendations: SAP Cloud ALM; SAP Activate ...

Manuelli
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks, Tonja. I added you suggestions.
Labels in this area