Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nadine_huelsen1
Participant

Integrative PLM is your magic one-pot recipe for success

The other day, my family hosted a party for a larger group of people, which of course left us with the question of how to feed everyone at the same time, and as the host, not having to stand in the kitchen most of the time and keeping an eye on all the pots. We wanted to have time for the most important thing: chatting with our guests. Not an easy thing to do!

I thought to myself: somehow, manufacturing companies face a very similar challenge with product development. Their product data is spread across multiple data pots: in separate authoring systems, like CAD and ECAD systems, Adobe or MS Office. At the same time, all sorts of divisions in the company —from product development to manufacturing and service — need access to reliable product information. In this situation, it's not easy to keep an overview and make the right decisions. Instead, these companies would rather focus on what is most important to them: to bring great products to market as quickly as possible.

Wouldn't it be great if all product data was available in ONE system? Always up-to-date, always reliable, and easy to access? It's as if you have a magic pot at your disposal in which all the product data is simmering and ready for all business units in real time.

The good news is that such a magic pot exists. It may not be quite as spectacular as the cauldron in the Asterix comics, but it still gives your company a whole new set of powers.

With SAP Product Lifecycle Management, you can manage all your product data in ONE system. And with the help of SAP Engineering Control Center | SAP ECTR, you can integrate all your authoring systems directly into SAP PLM and link them with business data. Based on this, engineering processes are optimally supported and subsequent processes are also directly integrated into SAP. The user interface offers maximum clarity – tailored precisely to the needs of engineers. With this Single Source of Truth, manufacturing companies are ideally equipped for digitalization and lay the foundation for the Digital Twin.

Are you curious about what SAP ECTR can do? In his blog post What’s new in SAP ECTR 1.1 for SAP S/4HANA SP6 Release, my colleague Dominik Maier shares with you the top four highlights of the latest release and thus gives you an idea of what cooking with this magic pot looks like.

KUKA, the world's leading supplier of robotics and automation solutions, is facing the challenges of digitalization with the help of SAP PLM and together with DSC Software AG as their strategic solution and implementation partner. If you want to find out how KUKA is realizing their digitalization strategy and what the benefits are, you can read their story here.

And...

In case you are wondering how we solved the catering at our family gathering: with ONE pot. A so-called Dutch oven. It‘s a cast-iron pot in which you can prepare delicious meals over an open fire. With this, everyone was happy, and guests were constantly gathered around it and chatting.
2 Comments
agrawal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Thank you Nadine for articulating the challenges faced by product development teams when information is scattered and inconsistent with such spot-on analogy with cooking pots. Your insights have reinforced my belief that embracing a single source of truth is indeed an indispensable aspect of our journey toward digitization.
nadine_huelsen1
Participant
Thank you, Yash!
Labels in this area