Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
Dear All,

When We are Implementing SAP S/4HANA solution, We can migrate our master data and business data from SAP systems or non-SAP systems to SAP S/4HANA. By using  SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit.

The SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit uses migration objects to identify and transfer the relevant data. A migration object describes how to migrate data for a specific business object to SAP S/4HANA. It contains information about the relevant source and target structures, as well as the relationships between these structures. It also contains mapping information for the relevant fields, as well as any rules used to convert values that are migrated from source fields to target fields. SAP provides predefined migration objects that you can use to transfer your data.

The Tool used to perform Migration is LTMC – (Legacy Transfer Migration Cockpit)

You can access the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit by using transaction LTMC.

Note the following considerations when deciding on the most suitable approach for your project:

Consideration Files Staging Tables
Size Limit 160MB limit for SAP S/4HANA Migration Cockpit .* No Limit.
System Considerations None. Staging system uses an SAP HANA database.
Data Provisioning Enter data manually in each Microsoft Excel XML file. Fill tables manually or by using preferred tools (for example SAP Agile Data Preparation).

* For on-premise systems, parameter icm/HTTP/max_request_size_KB controls the size of the http request. The value of this parameter is the maximum size (in KB) of an HTTP request. This parameter has the standard value 102400 kb (100MB) but can be changed if required. For more information, see

https://help.sap.com/viewer/fe1dfb6e6c551014b6f1befabc903d5d/7.02.19/en-US/483e87b3ca6b72d0e10000000...

Steps to Use LTMC

1. Enter LTMC T.Code

2. LTMC Web page / Fiori App will get opened

3. Click on Create for Starting New Migration Project

4. Provide Project Title & Data Retention Time and hit Create

5. In the Search bar, we can look for an object which we want to use and upload data

6. Select Required Object and click open

It's just an information  and press ok

7.  Click on Download Template so XML file will be downloaded

8. A pre-filled Template with detailed of each field and business is available

9. In Field, List Sheet will find each sheet which and all are mandatory  based on that we will fill data and upload

10. In Basic Data Sheet highlighted column is mandatory and fill the remaining fields and sheets as per requirement.

11. In the last Sheet, “Maintenance Status Settings” Sheet will be activating which screens are required as per business.

12. Once the template is ready with all required data need to follow below Steps
A. Upload File

B. Activate

C. Start Transfer

D. Data Validate

E. Convert values

F. Simulate

G. Execute Import

13. Click Activate

14. Click Start Transfer

15. Data will get Transferred once its done Close button will get enabled

16. If any error or data is missing will get error hear if all data in templet is good we can proceed further

17. Click next

18. When we are executing for the first time particular object in a project we need to Map fields.

19. Click  each line item and do Mapping  of Values

20. Select Line Item and Click check once status turns in to Green Light click save so next time system will do the mapping automatically

21. Once all the mapping is completed and no open items click next to simulate Import

22. Similar to upload once its completed click close to proceeding further

23. Backed  Program  will execute and data gets simulated if any missing data of mandatory fields and fields Mapping is wrong

24. If any error go back and fix and  repeat same if no error click Next

25. If all the steps are completed without any error will get above message then click finish.

Migration Status is now Finish

1. Now Check whether Material is created or not

2. Go to Display Material Fiori App and Search with the Material Number which you created

3. Select required Fields

4. Material with all the fields got updated with Screens.

For uploading data without any error try with one material and will get a lot of errors when doing initially do trial and error so will get masters in LTMC.

137 Comments
jipsss4u
Discoverer
0 Kudos
The instance (let's call it AB3) where I am trying to load is a copy from an instance(let's call it CD2) where material master is previously loaded via LTMC. All master and transaction data was deleted in Instance AB3. I trying to re-load the same material masters in Instance AB3 but the warning message says. "material xxxxx is already transferred to target system".

I noticed that the previous loads in Instance CD2 shows-up in the LTMC screen of Instance AB3. 'seems like LTMC keeps a log of what has been transferred?

What's the best way to "reset" LTMC in Instance AB3 so I can load materials with the same files.? Is there a standard ABAP program to "reset" LTMC such that it will not have any record of previous loads?
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Create a New project and load materials because LTMC keeps log at project level only
MRobalinho
Active Participant
Nice document Ruthvik. Thanks for sharing.
former_member727433
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ritivik for such a detailed blog on LTMC. I  tried to create BP (supplier) following your steps via LTMC and when I am uploading the file I get the below error (attached screenshot).

'Upload canceled; field definitions of the upload file Example Supplier Master Upload S4HANA.xml are out of date'

Thanks,
Can you please help with the root cause of the issue? My file is saved with file type 'XML spreadsheet 2003'.

Thanks,

Pooja

gattumahesh_at
Explorer
0 Kudos
In S4.Hana 2020 is it Product instead Material ?
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Can you please ask your question a bit in detail gattumahesh_at

Ruthvik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Once check with your Basis team looks like file type is not getting supported
gattumahesh_at
Explorer
0 Kudos
When i look into LTMC for Material i don't find template for it. Instead i see Product . Just checking is it changed in S4Hana2020 ?
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Yes in 2020 LTMC its changed as Product
former_member655472
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Ruthvik ,

Thanks for the blogs. I have one doubt result file. how to download the result file in LTMC. After uploading Master data (1000 line).

Thanks

kumar
Venkatakrishnan
Participant
0 Kudos
Dear Kumar,

why do you want result master data file,

Uploaded data views available but it is not downloadable

Thanks

Venkata Krishnan S

0 Kudos
Good Day,

Can any one please suggest me can we load material master data loads internaly using LTMC.

We are using 1909 version in SAP HANA.Please let me know can we load Material Master internally in SAP HANA 1909 VERSION.

Thanks

srini
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
yes we can by mapping internal or external during loading
former_member638484
Participant
0 Kudos
Dear Sudheer,

I have the same issue. Could you Please tell me how you solved this issue?

Regards,

Abdelrahman
abhishek_kumar34
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Ruthvik,

Can i get a sample uploadable temple or GL Master with jus few entries for each account type?

Ruthvik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi abhishek.kumar34

As I'm not from Financial background I'm not aware of it
but you can refer to 9 tips for a successful S/4HANA Data Migration | SAP Blogs written by 197f0f77709544a3bdebe98a55f527bb
sambit_sahoo
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi ruthvik.chowdary2 ,

Can you help me to suggest some tool like LSMW / LTMC for the below details.

I have a huge data which need to be loaded on the system at one go. Kindly help me to provide the tool for the below details.

Create Equipment BOM
Functional Location BOM
Create Equipment Task List
Functional Location task List

Thanks

Sambit Sahoo

Mob- 8886051114
Raje1
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Very Nice informative good explanation about the steps for data migration in blogs keep it up
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
Thank you rajeshsharma.s4h
gnanu8055_62
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi , could you please let me know which migration data object to use for " conversation - tax depreciation "   I could see there is no migration data separately available for tax depreciation
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
I think its not there till 1909 version
venkateswarareddy_medam
Active Participant
Hi Ruthvik,

Excellent document.

I have a small doubt in Material Load. My question is if we are loading different material types then we have the different views( Raw Material - No Sales views required, FERT - required all views). How to handle this in a single file?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Venkat.
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
LTMC will automatically detect views based on material type no need to maintain manually based on information we maintain views will get selected
papri_rudra29
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Ruthvik

I need a way to create QM views for a bunch of materials in mass.

Is there a standard template available for the same?

Under the older LSMW, I would have created a recording of MM01, where I select the QM view for the required plant and proceed with maintaining the fields which I wish to update for my materials.

In fact, I need to update only these four fields for my material-plant combinations:

MARA QMPUR QM in Procurement is Active
MARC SSQSS Control Key for Quality Management in Procurement
MARC QMATA Material Authorization Group for Activities in QM

MARC KZDKZ Documentation required indicator

Can you guide me as how to go about it? is there a standard way to extend a particular view in MMR , in my case , the QM view?

Any inputs will be appreciated.

0 Kudos

Hi Ruthwik

LTMC is out good old friend. Quite innovative one is it, indeed.

I just looked at CVT_MATNR, starts with statics: ... well, I am prepared to find go to as well.

We still have a bad clue that 65% and 83% are somehow hardwired...

Regards

Janos

Hi Ruthvik,

This is is awesome & excellent  information.

Thank you.

Best Regards

Mahi
soniazbidi1995_72
Discoverer
Thank you 🙂 very helpful
deepkrishna81
Thanks.. Very Nice n very informative...
Excellent content, it was help full  Thanks .
Hi Ruthvik,

Thanks for the detailed steps...

Question: Do have any blogs/YouTube Videos to build an LTMC object to update a specific filed??

For example we have list of Materials that are already exist in S4 that we need to update Purchasing Group.. how can I build a LTMC Object to update Purchasing Group on given materials??

Thanks in advance...
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi padmanabharao.mahisarla

Glad you liked
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
former_member183909
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Ruthvik

when I run LTMC and it fires up webdynpro.... There is a message that says

It is no longer possible to migrate data using transaction LTMC. It is still possible to display existing projects, but new projects cannot be created.
You can use the app Migrate Your Data – Migration Cockpit to migrate data to SAP S/4HANA. You can access this app in the Fiori launchpad.
Why is yours working and mine is not ?  I must be on 2021 version as Create is not available.  
I want to migrate from R/3 to S/4.  What do you suggest?.
Also
You have not explained the process to get the source data? So I have 300,000 Customer records. How I am expected to fill in that spreadsheet.  Seems to have missed a major part of the whole process. How can I fill the spreadsheet. Are they expecting a custom ABAP development to get data from a R/3 system into these spreadsheet formats and then run this little tool ?
Ruthvik
Active Contributor
Hi jonny.wellard

the Blog I wrote with SAP S/4HANA 1909 from 2020 version LTMC is replaced with Migrate your data app

reffer

LTMC replaced with Migrate Your Data | SAP Blogs

LTMC replaced with Migrate Your Data (2/2) | SAP Blogs
zunaid_hingora2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Ruthvik,

Can you please help this guy? i dont have system to check and respond him.

Thanks for this very useful article. First time I read this, and I find it useful.

I have a query, you mentioned for now you haven't attempted 'changing existing objects' via LTMC.

We are in 1709 version, and I need to modify Internal Order settlement rules specially adding additional rows with revised validity, having modified Profit Segment and COPA derivation based on customer specific attributes.  Is there any predefined template as a mass change available?

I tried using our custom-developed mass change program, however, I observed we can add new rows with new From/To Year/Period only, without any changes to Profit Segment at each IO level.

After uploading the new row, we are obliged to manually edit the profit segment for fresh derivation, where not all key fields are derived, certain fields are left out.

Any clue how to go about it? I thought of enhancing the existing custom-program, but meanwhile, trying to see if there is an alternate workaround.

Please advise from your experience.

Regards, Sivasankaran S

@sivasankarans
vijaytaak
Newcomer
0 Kudos
Hi Ruthvik,

Very helpful & excellent content. Thanks
Mary2024
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi Ruthvick

Thanks for share, please, could you help me, please?...I am trying to upload a template for movement class 561 but it generates an accounting period error, I checked in MMRV and it is correct. Appreciate your help

Mary2024_0-1714673272462.png

Mary2024_2-1714673336369.png

Mary2024_0-1714673538839.png

TEMPLATE

Mary2024_0-1714677965391.png

Mary2024_1-1714677996345.png

Thanks for your help!!!

Labels in this area