Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by Members
Gain new perspectives and knowledge about enterprise resource planning in blog posts from community members. Share your own comments and ERP insights today!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
former_member651353
Participant

Hello Manufacturing experts,

Here I am going to explain the sub-Item concept in BOM. Sub Item is not a component it just represents the position where component to be installed in Assembly /Sub assembly that means the subitem help you to identify exactly, where to use (to put) the material in your product or in the production (in the assembly) process. The largest use of this functionality is assembly companies (vehicles, machines, computers.)

How to Maintain the sub-Items in BOM?

Here I am going to maintain the BOM for Bicycle with below components

Component number Object description Comp. Qty (CUn) Component UoM
RM190 Seat 1 EA
RM190_1 Chain 1 EA
RM190_2 Wheel 2 EA
RM190_3 Handlebar 2 EA
RM190_4 Frame 1 EA
RM190_5 Break 2 EA
RM190_6 Pedal 2 EA

Let’s take Break (RM190_5) as example for Sub item functionality. Out of 2 Breaks, one break to be fixed as front brake and another one as rear brake.

To maintain the sub items, Select the component and click on sub items icon. you will get the new window, where, you have the Option, to specify the Subitem details (Like, Installation Point, Sub-Item Qty, Sub item Text.) Here I maintained installation point with quantity and description for sub item.

The components which are having sub items will be having sub item indicator as highlighted in below screen shot

As per the standard SAP, Below Highlighted Item categories support “Sub Item” functionality

Note: Sub-items have no operational function in the BOM. They are not copied to the production order. However, you can use sub-items to help you create programs for your company (for example, automatic assembly programs)

Regards

Hanumanth.C

SAP SCM SME - Presales
2 Comments
VigneshV
Participant
0 Kudos
Good one & useful one.
grzslo
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Thanks, very good explanation 🙂