Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HenrikeGrötecke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
In this blog, we differentiate between two types of Design Studio apps:

• SAP Design Studio apps: These are the apps that SAP used to deliver with SAP S/4HANA Cloud. In SAP S/4HANA, they will be removed in next year’s release called SAP S/4HANA 2022.

• Custom Design Studio apps: These are the apps that you created yourself based on the SAP Design Studio technology. You can continue to use them.

We announced in the What’s New information for SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2102 and SAP S/4HANA 2021 that most SAP Design Studio apps would be removed and replaced with successor apps in the following releases:

Most SAP Design Studio apps belong to Finance, and all of them were deprecated in 2102 and 2021, respectively. Other areas followed or will follow a bit later. Please refer to the SAP notes for a list of the deprecated apps.

Since we’ve announced the deprecation, we’ve received several questions. We hope to answer these questions in the following SAP Note:

3112220 - FAQ: Web Dynpro Apps and Design Studio Apps in SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud - SAP ONE....

If you’re still uncertain about some aspects of this change or have specific questions, please add them in the Comments section.

We’ll answer them and add the questions and answers to the SAP Note.

Here you can see the questions and answers that we’ve collected so far:

When will the SAP Design Studio apps disappear in SAP S/4HANA?

They were deprecated in SAP S/4HANA 2021 and will no longer be available as of SAP S/4HANA 2022.

Which apps do I use instead?

In most cases, you can use the corresponding SAP Web Dynpro apps. The SAP notes list the SAP Design Studio apps and their successor apps. In addition, you can find app-specific information in the SAP Fiori Apps Reference Library.

When did the SAP Web Dynpro apps become the default apps?

The SAP Web Dynpro apps became the default apps in SAP S/4HANA 2020 and SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2102.

Can we continue to use our custom Design Studio apps?

Yes, this is possible. And you can also ask SAP for support in case there are issues (under component BI-RA-AD). However, the Design Studio technology is no longer supported. This means that new features will only be added to the SAP Web Dynpro Data Grid technology. Therefore, we recommend that you move to Web Dynpro as soon as possible.

Are our custom Design Studio apps migrated automatically?

No, this is unfortunately not possible. You need to recreate them as Web Dynpro apps.

What's the status of the SAP Design Studio technology?

This technology is in maintenance mode, which means that only bugs are and will be fixed. New features are only added to the SAP Web Dynpro Data Grid technology.

What's the impact on SAP S/4HANA implementation projects in earlier releases than SAP S/4HANA 2021?

We recommend that you create custom reports as Web Dynpro apps right from the start.

For how long will SAP Design Studio be supported ?

You can continue using your custom Design Studio apps. There are no plans to discontinue our support for them. However, new features will only be added to SAP Web Dynpro. Therefore, we recommend that you migrate your custom Design Studio apps to SAP Web Dynpro.

Can we create new custom Design Studio apps?

In SAP S/4HANA Cloud, this is not possible.

In SAP S/4HANA, this will no longer be possible as of the 2022 release. We recommend to not create new Design Studio apps, even in lower SAP S/4HANA releases.

Can we use our custom Design Studio reports after the SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2108 release?

Yes, you can.

Can we make minor changes to our custom Design Studio reports?

Yes, you can.

Can we continue to edit/update our existing custom Design Studio reports after SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2108?

Yes, you can.

Will SAP continue to support us when we're facing issues with our custom Design Studio reports?

Yes, but SAP won't provide any enhancements or new features.

How can business users publish their layout variants (bookmarks) so that other users can use them?

To share bookmarks, you need to have the business catalog SAP_CORE_BC_UI_SHARE_PC assigned to your user (as of SAP S/4HANA Cloud 2108 and SAP S/4HANA 2021).

How do I display my queries in Web Dynpro apps?

In the View Browser, all queries of a user are listed and can be executed by choosing Open for Analysis. For more information, see Creating and working with Multi-dimensional Web Dynpro Report | SAP Blogs.

To use Web Dynpro apps in SAP S/4HANA, do we need to implement the SAP BW InfoProviders of Embedded BW Warehouse?

No, this is not necessary. SAP S/4HANA uses CDS-based cubes and queries, which are executed by the OLAP Engine. These CDS queries can also be run by Web Dynpro Grid (and also by Analysis for Office and SAP Analytics Cloud).

Where can I find more information?

You can find more information here:

6 Comments
paulblouis
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Henrike,

Thank you for this detailed blog!

I have a question though, I'm not able to find the Fiori IDs of the successor apps, that is the Web Dynpro apps. Is there a reason or is it common among Web Dynpro apps ?

Best regards,

Paul.
HenrikeGrötecke
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Paul,

As clarified in our email exchange, your question relates to two specific apps. I've asked the product owner of these apps to answer your question.

Best regards,

Henrike
0 Kudos
Hi Paul,

Did you find the alternative apps for Design Studio in Web Dynpro? If yes could you please help me out.

I have a similar requirement from my manager. As part of migration to S4 HANA 2021 from S4 HANA 2020 I need to replace 18  existing Design studio apps with new Web Dynpro Apps. Need your help with them.  Below is the example of 2 apps can you please help me out with their alternative Web Dynpro apps please.

Fiori ID Design Studio App Name Successor App Application Component Technical Catalog
F1615A Asset History Sheet (Design Studio) F1615 FI-FIO-AA SAP_TC_FIN_ACC_COMMON
F1617A Asset Balances (Design Studio) F1617 FI-FIO-AA SAP_TC_FIN_ACC_COMMON

Can you reply ASAP or at the earliest.

Regards,

Ranjith
0 Kudos
Hi Henrike,

I have a similar requirement from my manager. As part of migration to S4 HANA 2021 from S4 HANA 2020 I need to replace 18  existing Design studio apps with new Web Dynpro Apps. Need your help with them.  Below is the example of 2 apps can you please help me out with their alternative Web Dynpro apps please.

Fiori ID Design Studio App Name Successor App Application Component Technical Catalog
F1615A Asset History Sheet (Design Studio) F1615 FI-FIO-AA SAP_TC_FIN_ACC_COMMON
F1617A Asset Balances (Design Studio) F1617 FI-FIO-AA SAP_TC_FIN_ACC_COMMON

Can you reply ASAP or at the earliest.

Thanks,

Ranjith

paulblouis
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hello Ranjith,

A complete list of the deprecated apps and their successor apps is attached to this note by Henrike: 3081996 - Deprecation of SAP Design Studio Apps in SAP S/4HANA 2021 - SAP ONE Support Launchpad

Hope this helps!

Thank you,

Paul.
piotr_sobotka
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Paul,

That was a good Hint! thanx.

Piotr