Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Shilpa4
Advisor
Advisor
SAP S/4HANA CLOUD API package on SAP API Business Hub has been growing with OData and SOAP APIs since several releases now.  The one big question for some time has been… “Where can I find On Premise APIs, why is it not on API Business Hub?”. With this blog, I would like to introduce you to the new ‘SAP S/4HANA’ package on SAP API Business Hub.

With FPS0 2020, SAP S/4HANA OData and SOAP APIs are now available on SAP API Business Hub. The package is called ‘SAP S/4HANA’.

Let’s now explore the package. The structure of the package remains the same as SAP S/4HANA Cloud package.

APIs tab provides list of APIs, which can be sorted alphabetically. The APIs can be viewed as a list view or as Tile view.

The Details tab provides package information along with links to important SAP S/4HANA documentation.

Now let’s go one step further and explore the APIs. On selecting an API,

the API reference tab provides technical documentation of the API like the operations, mandatory and optional fields and API responses.

Please note: SAP S/4HANA package does not support API try out feature at the moment. Some of these OData APIs may also be part of SAP S/4HANACloud package. In order to test it using the try out, please search for the API in SAP S/4HANA Cloud package with API title or description. Also, take a look at the disclaimer for the limitations.

The Details tab provides the description of the API and details like the production URL, Authentication Methods and Business Object.

Most importantly, the API help documentation link can be found here. On clicking on the link, it navigates you to SAP help portal which provides the detailed API information.

But there is more good news !

In addition to SOAP and OData APIs, SAP S/4HANA Events are also now published with FPS0 2020. The events can be found in the package – SAP S/4HANA Business Events,

As of now, there are 61 events objects and 128 Events. Please refer the package to discover Events and understand its business and technical documentation.

Both the new packages can be easily discovered under the product 'SAP S/4HANA'

please refer to the help document for details on how to activate these API's in SAP S/4 HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud Extended.

Get started ! Explore the new SAP S/4HANA API and SAP S/4HANA Business Events packages on SAP API Business Hub. I hope you will find the content useful and stay tuned for further improvements.

Thank you !
12 Comments
Naveen
Participant
Thanks Shilpa,

I was just waiting someone will write a blog on this topic. and you did it.

Thanks a lot for sharing it.

Regards

Naveen Jain
bharatbajaj
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Shilpa,

Great post. thanks for sharing this update.

I would like to learn more about the S/4Hana business events, as I could not find any example or tutorials regarding that. is there any blog or wiki page that I can refer to?

Regards,

Bharat Bajaj
Shilpa4
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Bharat,

You can refer to the following links for more information on Business Events :

Cloud: https://help.sap.com/viewer/0f69f8fb28ac4bf48d2b57b9637e81fa/2008.500/en-US/8cbf952e55364254be2da77a...

OnPremise: https://help.sap.com/viewer/8308e6d301d54584a33cd04a9861bc52/2020.000/en-US/8cbf952e55364254be2da77a...

Hope this helps !

Best Regards,

Shilpa
0 Kudos

Hi Shilpa,

I have one question . Do we need a middleware for using API. How do source system send the information to the S/4 system. If you can provide a overall view as how we can make use of API for Integrating Engg system/BOM for example.

bharatbajaj
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Shilpa,

Thanks for sharing these links. The information in those links appears to be very high level and abstract.

Is there any document/blog with a sample scenario or sort of a quick demo?

That will help to visualize it E2E.

Also, is it mandatory to use SAP Cloud platform even of the On-Prem version of S/4 HANA?

I wonder if it is possible to expose the business events directly from S4 system over HTTP?

Thanks,

Bharat

BasanthSwain
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Shilpa

This is informative. However can I ask a question?

Is SAP API Business Hub offered as a service from SAP Cloud Platform (PAAS)

Thanks

Basanth
Shilpa4
Advisor
Advisor
Hi Basanth,

SAP API Business Hub itself is not offered as a service. It is a central catalog for SAP and selected partner API's. Developers can search, discover and test API's, they can also build extensions or integrations using SAP Cloud Platform.

Thanks and Best Regards,

Shilpa
Mou
Explorer
0 Kudos
fantastic thanks Shipa
Shilpa4
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Lalith,

Apologies for the delay.

Could you may be give some more details on your question ?

Thanks,

Shilpa
Fred_Gautier
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi Shilpa,

Why do we have less API's  on S/4 HANA  than on S/4 HANA Cloud? Do you know  what is the criteria to  publish an API  on the SAP API Business Hub. Are there specific requirements ?

Thank you.

Kind Regards,

Frederic Gautier
Shilpa4
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Hi Frederic,

S/4HANA APIs are planned to be published in increments. As of OP2020 FPS1, 41 new APIs are published, making it a total of 331 APIs.

Best Regards,

Shilpa

saurabhkumbhare
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Shilpa,

I have noticed that in the actual S4HANA on-prem system there are more events but those events do not refelect on the API Business Hub. Do you know why ? Is SAP still behind in terms of updating the documentation ?

Thanks

Saurabh