Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jensen
Employee
Employee
Hello,

we have just created a detailed slide deck which describes the transport functionality within the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit, direct transfer. This functionality is available since release 2020 OnPrem.

The slide deck also talks about transporting from client to client and system modifiability.

LINK to slide deck.

UPDATE 07/10/22

I want to share some more information about connected source systems. We have enhanced our docu with the following:

You may want to use a different client or even a different source system for test purposes. However, if you want to connect to a new source system or client, you need to create a new migration project.

When you create a migration project that connects the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit to a source system, the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit creates objects (for example ABAP dictionary and repository objects) in the source system. These objects allow the SAP S/4HANA migration cockpit to select data from the source system. However, if you simply specify a new RFC connection in the migration project, these objects are not created in the new source system or client. You therefore need to create a new project if you want to migrate data from a different system or client.

Note that if your migration project uses a source system that is refreshed with new data, you also need to create a new migration project as the objects mentioned above will not be present in the refreshed source system.

You are also welcome to visit our so-called landing page - you find there all externally available training material: LINK.

Heike

SAP S/4HANA Product Management, Migration Cockpit

16 Comments
0 Kudos
thnks for sharing this post
franz_schmauer
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Heike,

thanks for sharing the information about transport capabilities of LTMOM direct transfer projects.

We are using this transport capabilties under S/4 HANA 2020 SP 01 (02/2021) FP and do not find a posibility to set the RFC destination in the target client where we imported the direct transfer project.

The fiori app does not show a field where we could set the RFC destination.

We get the following message in Fiori: Before you can work with the project, you need to change the data connection. To do this, choose Edit Setting

When we change to edit mode, we can only set the company codes but not the connection (RFC destination).

Do you have a hint for this task
Jensen
Employee
Employee
Hello Franz,

pls. see the description below. If it does not work as described, pls. open a ticket so that we can investigate in detail.

Once you imported your project into a target system your project will be displayed in the project overview. In addition, the status of your project is “imported”.

The first time you select your project you will get the following message. Choose the marked “Edit Settings” link.

Now it is possible to change the RFC connection:

Hint: It is only possible to change the RFC connection once (after importing the project into the target system).

Best regards,

Heike
franz_schmauer
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Heike,

the field 'Connection to Source System' was not on the screen. After implementation of this note it works as described above:

3037759 - S/4HANA 2020 FPS01 - Migration - Field 'Connection to Source System' not visible for imported project [Front-End]

Kind regards

Franz
S0021935057
Explorer
0 Kudos
heike.jensen

i know that transport functionality for Excel Upload and Staging Tables is not available in release 2020.

My project is created in DEV System via Fiori APP Migrate Your Data and I exported it in ZIP file from LTMOM and trying to import the project in Quality System which is non changeable and it is not allowed to create and modify project using Fiori APP as SAP recommended.

This is a stopper to import the project in LTMOM, where I need to chose already created project via Fiori, not LTMC.

Could you please give me solution.

Thanks in advance!

Desislava Dimova
Kirstin
Associate
Associate
Hello Desislava,

with regards to the export/import functionality in SAP S/4HANA 2020 release for the staging table approach, we are working on a fix, so that it is possible to import the first project in the quality system. As a workaround you can use transaction SE38 an run the report /LTB/MC_PROJ_Q2P. You only need to do this once for the first project. If you create other projects you can choose the import function in the migration object modeler (LTMOM). Please find a detailed description in the following KBA 3081981.

Best regards, Kirstin
S0021935057
Explorer
0 Kudos
kirstin.siebenmorgen,

thanks for your help!

BR,

Desislava
loren_schmidt
Participant
0 Kudos
Please add the transport process to the SAP Help pages. I just spent several weeks trying to get my project from my 210 DEV client into the 230 client and finally ran across this excellent blog that describes it perfectly with the slide deck.
Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello Loren,

thanks for your feedback. I will talk to the docu developer.

Best regards, Heike
helmut_raschke
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have assigned a migration cockpit project to a WB transport request within LTMOM like described in information.

Then we have created a transport of copy TR and added the objects to this one.

After release and import into the other dev client with STMS (not SCC1!) there is no project imported, neither visible in LTMOM of target client nor in fiori app Migrate your data.

The transport includes all necessary technical objects from my point of view. Or is there anything missing or to check?

Please help with a usefull advice.

Regards, Helmut

Objects included in Transport of Copies

Jensen
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos
Hello Helmut,

pls. check again if you are checking the correct target client.

If the issue still persists, pls. open a ticket on: CA-LT-MC and mention the direct transfer approach.

Best regards,

Heike
GitteGreibe
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Helmut

We have experienced a similar problem recently. We found out that the transportation routes were not set up correctly. So we couldn't transport between the two clients on the development system.
In the Transport Log we got a success message, but nothing was transported.
Maybe you have a similar situation?

Best Regards,

Gitte Greibe.
helmut_raschke
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hello Gitte,

thank you indeed for your advice. That will be a sensefull check.

Regards, Helmut

GitteGreibe
Participant
Hi Heike

I just saw that you have made an update to this post regarding connected source systems.

How does this fit with the possibilities of transporting our migration projects from S/4 DEV to S/4 QAS and to S/4 PRD with the possibility of changing the RFC connection?
You will most likely have different source systems connected to S/4 DEV, S/4 QAS and S/4 PRD.
At least we have different source systems depending on whether we migrate to S/4 DEV, S/4 QAS or S/4 PRD.

It sounds contradicting that we need a new migration project if the source system change and at the same time it is possible to transport our migration projects and put on a new RFC connection.

I hope you can clarify the rules for me 🙂

Best Regards,

Gitte Greibe
Jensen
Employee
Employee
Hello Gitte,

in general: RFC connections are system and client specific, so it makes no sense to transport the RFC connection together with the MC project.

If you transport from DEV to Q/P, you can change the RFC setting exactly one time in Q/P. The background is that after the first import, nothing is generated yet in the source system. Only after the RFC is assigned, the MC DT generates the artefacts in the source system which are needed to know all current settings in the source system and thus be able to select the data correctly.

We have to be sure to know the current settings in the source system. This is the reason why you have to create/copy new projects each time you changed the source system (refresh it by system copy or connect any other source system). If you go ahead with existing MC projects (already existing in S4 before the source system change/refresh), either the artefacts might not yet be in the source (completely other system), or they might not be up to date anymore (refresh existing one).

You have to keep in mind that the MC logic must cover each possible scenario we meet at a customer.

I hope these background information help.

Best regards,

Heike
helmut_raschke
Explorer
0 Kudos
Dear Gitta, Dear Heike,

We found out in the meantime what has to be considered in Transaction STMS to get a successfull transfer of Migration Projects by Transport into another client (non modifiable) on dev level.

When choosing the TR for import within STMS Transaction, a lot of options should be flagged, to ignore unclassified table transfer, replace objects etc.

At least all of the flags excluding the first one will import successfull.

Yes also reimport flag should be flagged.

Very astonishing to us that no documentation is giving those details.

Regards, Helmut