Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tiju_thomas
Explorer

In this short blog, I would like to outline the Split Activate/Assemble/ Download feature available in SDK. This is a feature introduced to solve the common timeout issues encountered whenever assembling patches of large solutions.

Before explaining this, let me suggest you it’s always a good practice to perform a ‘Check’ at the solution level, prior to the assembly of any patch. This way, you could identify if there are any issues in the solution, which if not done here, otherwise would be identified only later during the assembly process.

Enable Background mode for Check-> Items and Runtime objects

Do a check on Items and Runtime objects.

Refresh the status to see if the check is completed. Once completed, go for ‘Display logs’ to ensure if the check has been successful.

If there are errors, rectify them first, before proceeding for the assembly of the solution.

Check for the successful message at the bottom left of the studio once the check is successful.

Until 1511, developers had a single option of ‘Assemble and Download’ in the Implementation Manager. This option had the timeout limitation whenever working with solution of huge size as this was purely a foreground job. As a result, partners couldn’t assemble a patch successfully and eventually ended up creating incidents to get the SAP support.

Starting 1511, SDK users overcome this timeout issue with the introduction of ‘Enable Assembly Split’. This will enable 3 different options in implementation manager viz; Activate, Assemble and Download.

Step 1: Activate

This triggers the activation of the solution, which is a background job and once completed an email is sent to the email address registered in solution properties. (Both Assemble and Download buttons are disabled until the Activation is completed).

Step 2: Assemble

This option is enabled once the activation is successful.

Once the solution is successfully assembled, an email is sent to the mail address maintained in the solution properties.

Step 3. Download

Perform the ‘Download’, once the solution is successfully assembled.

Thanks for your time to read through the blog. Hope it could help.

Best Regards,

Tiju

4 Comments
Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Tiju for the detailed information.

I have a clarification, Assembling is also a background job right in the same way like activation?

Is it necessary to login to the tenant (from SDK) while these background jobs are performing?

what is the possible time gap allowed between the process (Activation and Assembling).

Thanks and Regards

Hanu K

tiju_thomas
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hello Hanumath, Yes. Assembling as well is a background job. Hence, it isn't necessary to keep the SDK session active, once the assembly is triggered. Assembling can be started as soon the activation is completed. Tiju

ASanchezC1
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Thanks Tiju. This blog truly help many ISV partners on ByD active with SDK for add-ons extensions.

Antonio

Jayash
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Tiju,

Thanks for this info! Maybe you can help with a situation I have.

We have a an Old Dev system that is soon to be terminated and the solutions there need to be moved to a new Dev system. I tried to Download --> Upload (without Assembling) and it seemed to work fine (both solutions status are "In Development") - the only issue is that I was unable to fully activate or re-activate the solution after upload into the new dev system. I can see that the solution components are all activated and that I can see the relevant screen fields and work centres in the ByDesign system. The status of the uploaded solution is In Deployment and would obviously need to be Assembled before a patch could be done on it.

What I would like to know is, for this Dev to Dev move, should I have done (should I always do?) an Assemble & Download?

Is there a reason why activate / reactivate wouldn't work?

Thanks in advance!

Jay