Enterprise Resource Planning Blogs by SAP
Get insights and updates about cloud ERP and RISE with SAP, SAP S/4HANA and SAP S/4HANA Cloud, and more enterprise management capabilities with SAP blog posts.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
former_member317851
Participant

Introduction

In a manufacturing industry, other than raw materials there are number of things needed to manufacture a product. For example machinery, instruments, equipments, tools, documents, etc., some are stationary, big in size and some are movable, small in size, some are trivial but extremely useful.

Production Resources and Tools are movable/non stationary operating resource, that are required to perform an activity and can be used repeatedly during the manufacturing process.

Basics

In Production Planning world, Production Resource/Tool(PRT) is a kind of master data. It is categorized under 4 umbrellas

1. Material PRT : Material Master Data

2. Equipment PRT : Equipment Master Data

3. Document PRT : Document Master Data

4. Miscellaneous PRT : PRT Master Data

This means Master data related to Material, Equipment and Document can be used as PRT and any resources or tools other than these can be categorized as Miscellaneous or Other PRT.

Usage

PRT can be used in many processes. For example

1. In Production Planning (PP) - PRT can be assigned in Routing and finally taken into Production Order.

2. In Plant Maintenance and Customer Service (PM & CS) - PRT can be used by the operations in Maintenance Task List and finally taken into Maintenance Order.

3. In Project System (Network and Activities) - PRT can be used by certain activities in Network to calculate how many PRTs would be needed.

Master Data Structure

PRT master data consists of two part. One is Basic Data and the other one is Default Data.

Basic Data defines basic attributes of PRT. for example, the unit, location and authorization group of PRT.

Default Data defines attributes including scheduling data and formula which are used to control how a PRT is used in transactions( e.g. Production Order and Maintenance Order).

Material PRT

Material PRT is maintained by T-code MM01/MM02. There is a tab to maintain PRT info on a material.

Equipment PRT

Equipment PRT is maintained by T-code IE01/IE02. There is a tab to maintain PRT info on equipment.

Document PRT

Document PRT is maintained by T-code CV01N/CV02N. Document which is allowed to used as PRT can be customized! 

Miscellaneous PRT

Miscellaneous PRT is pure PRT master data and it is maintained by T-code CF01/CF02.

Closing

Now you know what is PRT and how simple it is. It can be any object like a screw driver, a plier, which are used repeatedly in process of manufacturing but are never delivered with the product. It can be a document, manual, guidelines, an equipment, portable machinery or a material.

Hopefully, this blog post can help you to start with using PRT applications.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Appreciate it if you have any comments, suggestions, or questions. Cheers!~
26 Comments
rupesh_brahmankar3
Active Contributor
Hello,

Informative, however, if you would explain how it can be used or integrated in the production process would be good.

Thanks a lot for sharing !!

Best Regards,

R.Brahmankar
former_member317851
Participant
Hi Brahmankar,

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

PRT usage and integration with production process is great idea for my next blog. I will surely post one soon.

Thanks, Charu

VigneshV
Participant
Hi cagarwal

Great blog.

Informative.Keep going.

Vignesh V

Very useful and concise article Charu. Keep going 🙂

Amit_SAP
Active Contributor
Very informative and  well explained blog

Thank you for sharing !!

Regards,

Amit

Hi and thank you for a great blog. I am currently working with a customer where we are investigating if we should recommend PRT or not. This customer is using Process order and not Production Order. Does PRT also work with Process order?

Regards, Tomas
OmarSaad
Participant
its very basic details, unfortunately PRT's can't be used with master recipe or process orders, please correct the blog
peter_atkin
Active Contributor

Charu,

I have been digging into the PRT functionality also..

You can also add a Measurement Point PRT by activating business functions LOG_EAM_CI_3 and LOG_EAM_CI_4 in SFW5. But I think this only works with PM orders..

I have a few PPT slides that maybe useful here if you want to contact me via the link below:

PeteA

former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Peter,

I have send you connection request on LinkedIn 🙂

Thanks,

Charu
former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Omar,

Thanks for your comments.

Thanks,

Charu

former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Amit for your kind words 🙂
former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for appreciating Roopika 🙂
former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks Vignesh 🙂
peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Can you please resend the request - I deleted it because I didnt recognise the name..
former_member697545
Discoverer
Hi Charu, I am in a project in Peru, where my client asked if it is possible to use PRT in the planning recipe and in the process order, in the S / 4 Hana 2019 version.

I would be very grateful if within the improvement that they are developing in SAP India for this requirement, you can share some progress later.

Thanks

Luis Pachas
govardhantmaile
Participant
Nice Blog... helps to rewind our selves, Mainly with miscellaneous PRT usage...

OmarSaad
Participant
0 Kudos
Thanks for your prompt feed back, if information you provided is right please ask concern department to change official note 350614 - Production resource/tool and process manufacturing
former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos
Hi Peter,

The request is pending, you can find me with name: charu26ster.

Thanks,

Charu

former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos
Sure Omar.

Will do the needful. Thanks.
former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos

Its not supported for Process Orders

OmarSaad
Participant
0 Kudos
So which release is supported?
former_member317851
Participant
0 Kudos
I regret to tell you that PRT is not supported for process orders.

My humble apologies. I have corrected the blog now.
0 Kudos
Hi Madam,

As per above the details we are given a PRT in routing for production order.So we will used to get a how many products, we are making by using a cooresponding tool.But we need to given  a the tool capacity (i.e the tool life time working hours).Kindly share a details to update the details anywhere in standard SAP ...
m_talaat1234
Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks for your wonderful document.
former_member853831
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Thank you Charu, that is very informative.  Where can I put the number of Tools available?  If I have for example 10 jigs for the a lathe, where can I put that quantity of 10?  Thanks
0 Kudos
Hi,

Thanks for your document.

Could you kindly explain how the PRT material is used in production,where the stocks are maintained, detail the availability check and the consumption aspects.

Regards,

Subramani