cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Development for new Users

oregonducks
Discoverer
0 Kudos

This is more general question; I am new to SAP 4/Hanna and beginner to ABAP Development. Anybody can give me a good idea where to start, or suggestions. I have over 20 years of experience programming in Java, C#, Linux Bash C. But I don't know much about ABAP development or SAP... would like to know where to start. Thanks

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (5)

Answers (5)

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

Hi Frank,

given that you already have experience in other programming languages, the website Exercism might provide a good starting point for you as it contains many exercises in different tracks, i.e. languages you can solve:

https://exercism.org/tracks/

Check out lars.hvam's blog post ABAP on Exercism to get an introduction or my own sort of fun activity recap about using the site.

Have fun!

Cheers

Bärbel

wolfgang_woehrle
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Frank,

Welcome in the ADT world 🙂

You can find here our ADT basic tutorial.

The SE80 FAQs may also help for transition.

Have fun working with ADT!

Kind regards,

Wolfgang

vitpilk
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Frank,

I would suggest that you start with installing SAP NW AS ABAP 7.52 S04 by following this guide to get yourself a dev env for some hands-on practice.

You can also install Eclipse with ADT (ABAP Development Tools) plugin to connect to that dev env which is a more modern way for ABAP programming as compared to SE80/SE38 in AS ABAP 7.52 S04. For the actual ABAP syntax learning I would suggest this Udemy course.

Good luck and welcome to the club 🙂

Best regards,

Vit

vitpilk
Participant
0 Kudos

PS - You can then export your VM as ova from Virtual Box and import it into a ProxMox hypervisor if you would like to run your AS ABAP server on a separate machine while having SAP GUI and Eclipse with ADT on your personal laptop.

TarunTakshak
Participant
0 Kudos
former_member184158
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi taruntakshak,

I think you mean Frank 😄

former_member184158
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello Frank,

I suggest that you read the book "Discover ABAP" by Karl-Heinz Kuhnhauser, as it can help you understand the ABAP syntax and get familiar with the ABAP dictionary, which is crucial for programming in ABAP.

Additionally, you can also use ChatGPT to learn more about the syntax differences between JAVA and ABAP. ChatGPT can assist you in writing code in both languages.

I hope this information helps you in your programming journey. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns.

Examples: Hello World in JAVA and ABAP

Sum 2 numbers

FredericGirod
Active Contributor

I am not sure to compare Java Class and Old School ABAP statement is a good starting point

There is object also in ABAP