Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ABAP Platform On Cloud

pramodu
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Dear SAP expert-

I am looking for an option to have ABAP Platform to managed on Cloud but HANA DB on Premise .

Example - we have three landscape ABAP Dev->QA->Prod and all these ABAP platform managed on cloud

and all three connected to respective HANA DB on Prem Dev->QA->Prod.

SAP ABAP on Cloud Platform to be continuously updated with new Support Pack managed by platform service provider and we focus on business transformation and data storage .

My understanding is that we can have ABAP Cloud Instance to be set up in BTP Cloud Foundry and have created 3

landscape. ABAP Instance on Cloud to be connected in Eclipse and developer can use ABAP Platform for custom development whereases all data storage on HANA DB on Prem.

https://developers.sap.com/tutorials/abap-environment-trial-onboarding.html#549bd64f-d29e-42f7-933f-...

All , I need S/4 HANA to be done with Cloud as platform services, but HANA DB on prem so we can manage data storage on prem.

Pls let me know your opinion.

Thanks,

Pramod

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

Andre_Fischer
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

The scenario that your are describing is not 100% clear to me.

"... and all three connected to respective HANA DB on Prem Dev->QA->Prod."

Are you talking about using SAP S/4HANA on premise systems in a 3-system landscape and have these system landscape connected to a 3-system landscape of SAP BTP ABAP Environment systems?

Then we would talk about a side-by-side approach where apps are build as an extension to your on prem system and these apps would run in SAP BTP ABAP Environment.

And yes you can store changed data back to SAP S/4HANA by calling appropriate API's such as OData services or RFC function modules.

But I would be careful with having the prerequisite not to store any data at all in ABAP in the cloud.

At least for performance reasons it might be a better approach to store certain data locally.

Side by side extensions have certain restrictions since you are limited to use only remote enabled API's.

Because of these we soon will offer the so called "embedded steampunk" approach where you can build ABAP based applications in a kind of steampunk sandbox on the same ABAP stack as the S/4HANA Cloud system that is able to use all locally released API's such as CDS views, classes, etc. which allows to read data from the SAP S/4HANA database much quicker than it is possible if you are limited to remote enabled API's.

Kind regards,
Andre