Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to change the order-unit of a PR

Sevin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

We have a very peculiar issue we are trying to resolve. Consider this situation:

- Purchase Unit of Measure (PUoM) = CS = 3 EA

- Base unit of measure = EA

- Purchase unit of measure is set to Active

When I create a PR for 1 EA (via a sales order), the source of supply is determined and the order unit is set to CS (as per above). When I create the PO for this PR, it is created for 0.333 CS. But my unit of measure CS does not accept decimal places.

I need to find a way to overwrite the order unit of the PR to be EA instead of CS (since the PUoM is set to Active). The vendor accepts that we purchase in EA instead of CS sometimes.

Any ideas how I can do this ? Which user exit/enhancemnt spot/BADI can be used with the old PR transactions (ME51) instead of the Enjoy transactions (ME51N) ?

Thanks,

Sevin

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sevin,

When you say: "sometimes", is this a high volume occurrence?  Are you only ordering in CS when you order amounts under 1 CS (1 or 2 EA)?

If it is low volume, you could simply set the Variable Order Unit (EINA-VABME) in the Purchasing Info Record (PIR) General Data view to "Active" (1) and have your buyers change the order unit manually in the purchase order before placing the order when quantities are below 1 CS.

If this applies to many suppliers for the same material, you can also set it in the material master (it will be copied to all subsequently created purchasing info record).

This keeps your solution standard.

- J

Sevin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi J,

The process that we have is for PRs created from sales orders and the PO is created automaticaly via workflow so no buyer actually is involved in the process.

Since the system determines that the PO quantity is 0.333 CS (since the ordering unit is CS) and that the unit CS does not accept decimal places, it performs rounding to the nearest integer- in this case, 0. So the PO does not actually get created. It only happens when the conversion factor between EA (sales unit) and the purchasing unit results in a value less than 0.5 (which rounds to 0).

I gave CS as an example but we have 5 or 6 different units that we deal with.

We need to have the ordering unit in the PIR to be CS because that's the case for most purchases from that supplier. But in the case of purchases for Sales orders, we need to buy in individual units (EA)- the purchasing unit is already set to be active. By changing the purchasing unit from CS to EA on the PR, there will be no conversion or rounding and the PO gets created correctly. It works when I manually change the unit from CS to EA. but this is not feasible because the PR is created from the sales order and CSRs are not familiar with this transaction.

The issue also is that the process when the CSR creates the sales order does not currently involve any validation that the PO was created. They only find out weeks later when the Customer did not get his product (because it was never purchased).

Thanks,

Sevin

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sevin,

Have you tried setting Rounding Values/Profiles in the MRP1 view for these materials to get the desired values?  Otherwise, I have an idea around a possible RICEFW but it's not desirable...

- J

Sevin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi J,

They are not using MRP at my client. But they are using rounding profiles. They have created one dynamic rounding profile that they use for all articles and in all areas (sales and purchasing) but it is managed via enhancements.

We have decided to use the user exit EXIT_SAPLMDR1_003 which is linked to our dynamic profile and simply round up the value (in my example: round up from 0.333 CS to 1 CS). This will bypass the rounding and will allow us to create the PO. We have another enhancements that will change the 1 CS to 1 EA so that we can order the quantity that the Customer requested.

Thanks for your help,

S

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sevin,

Glad to see you were able to solve your problem.

Please don't forget to close your thread (Question answered).

Best,

-J

former_member190537
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

As you mentioned In material Master maintain Alternate unit of measure like

1EA,------1EA

1CS--------3EA

As per std sap Valuation Price and  Base unit of measure copied from Material master , I mean

the PR is always in  the base unit of measure, you cannot change this.but in item detail source tab you can enter a desired order unit

SAP Note 493318 - FAQ: Purchase requisition (ME51N,ME52N, ME53N) Q&A.20

Thanks

mahesh naik

Sevin
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

I don't want to change the PR unit. I want to change the Purchase Order ordering unit (field BMEIN) that is on the PR (source of supply screen) from the ordering unit of the PIR to the Base unit of Measure.

Thanks,
Sevin