Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing capitalization date for a previous year asset #COE #MODPIZZA

former_member95896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hello,

We have assets created and initially capitalized in fiscal year 2020 where we need to change the asset capitalization date to reflect an update of when they were actually put in service. For example, an asset had the initial capitalization date of 6/1/2020 and needs to change to 3/1/2020 based on the new info on service date.

If the asset were a 2021 asset we know we could make the capitalization date change and the asset would automatically recalculate upon saving in Manage Fixed Assets (or after running a recalculation job). Considering that fiscal year 2020 is closed for assets and in general, I don't believe this automatic recalculation will correct these assets and book the change in 2021 as desired. I suspect we might unfortunately need to manually book correcting entries for depreciation to correct the calculations moving forward. I haven't found any documentation on how to do this type of entry in S/4HANA Cloud or what transaction/asset transaction code to use.

What are the steps to do this? Is there an automated way to get these assets to recalculate depreciation without opening 2020 for asset accounting?

Thanks,

Ryan

OwenLiu
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Ryan,

Suggest you to use tag SAP S/4HANA Cloud for Finance only.

former_member95896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for the comment owen.liu. The instance of S/4HANA Cloud ES we have isn't just Finance, are you saying that we should tag all accounting/finance activities that way regardless?

OwenLiu
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi rpmuller ,

If the question is about Finance, you should use tag SAP S/4HANA Cloud for Finance.
If the question doesn't belong to any existing area tags, you could use SAP S/4HANA Cloud.

Please also check https://community.sap.com/resources/using-tags:"The first SAP managed tag you select will be the one that triggers notifications for members who follow that tag."

NathanGenez
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I'd agree because the general Asset Accounting tag is for ECC or the S/4HANA OP solutions.

former_member95896
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I get the nuance of the S/4HC Finance tag being applied, it makes no sense why a functional area tag wouldn't homogeneously apply to any system being serviced by the community otherwise they should put the distinction ECC Asset Accounting or S/4HC Asset Accounting.

Disappointing the S/4HC community experience has gone from one where we'd generally get a response in a few days from experts, to now with the combined community getting more responses about semantics and tagging than to the actual question over the course of the several weeks (which do nothing for our end user that has the issue).

View Entire Topic
Mark_W
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi Ryan,

If you intend on changing depreciation from previous years, consider using the Post Write Up app.

"Write-ups can only be created for depreciation in the past (that is, depreciation from previous years). Various standard transaction types are configured for write-ups. These transaction types differ according to the depreciation type to be corrected (for example, ordinary depreciation or unplanned depreciation) and the depreciation areas to be posted (for example, book depreciation only)."

You will find an example in the best practices script. Let me know after you have tested if you have follow up questions and I'll try address them.

Thanks
Mark

former_member95896
Active Contributor

Hi Mark,

Doing a manual write up (or down depending on the direction of the capitalization date move) is the top option I presented our asset accountants for how I think it could be done. Really it is only option that lets you post depreciation correcting in both directions. You cannot use any of the manual depreciation transaction codes due to the depreciation key (SUL1 for book in our case), unplanned depreciation is an option but you can only add and it appears as it's own line forever with the asset. That's it, we're pretty limited based on my testing.

Outside the major time suck in individual manual postings to correct (we've got a few hundred to make this change to), write ups also don't post against the depreciation expense gl accounts but the gain/loss account for the offset to accumulated depreciation which means we'll likely need to do a manual reclass journal entry as well.

Thanks,

Ryan