cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Development, Quality , Production server

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am new to SAP HR , Can some one help to understand the following terms.

1. Development server , where it has more clients. I am not able to understand it , like why it is being used.

2. Quality server - What is the purpose of it ?

3. Production server - what is the purpose of it ?

As a SAP HCM Functional consultant, what is our role in this 3 server ? If we need to make some changes where we need to do the configuration ?

4. Also please let me know what is Transport request ?

Waiting for the valuable reply from you experts.

Regards

Bala

former_member786493
Discoverer

The procedure is called the Landscape .

1.Development server ( In development server you have to make configuration of SAP + Unit Testing)

2. Quality Server ( In Quality server you have to do again some configuration+ Unit / Integration testing )

3. Pre-production Server ( You can do general configuration + Testing)

4. Production Server ( Day to day Transactions posting / SAP End users activities )

Note : The configuration will be done in one client but testing will be done in other client while moving to next server .

ChrisSolomon
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Why raise a zombie from 2014 that was already answered!?!??!

nitish_g
Explorer
0 Kudos

I did not noticed the dates

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

Lkv
Active Participant

This message was moderated.

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

Former Member

Hi Bala,

In HR I don't have any idea But I will explain in Finance Area. Try to understand.

Development Server       : For Customization Purpose ( All the creation work will done here )

Quality                            : For Testing Purpose

Production                     : Live Data. Finaly out put. ( End used will access )

Quality check only in Quality server only.

Development only in Development.

Production Live only.

Transport Req. means, For simple under stand its like a Folder. While developing we will save all the activities in the Folder ( Transport Req # ) and we will move the folder in Qc for testing if testing successful move to production for live.

Regards,
KVSSAPFIN

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Sapfin,

Thanks for your response in making my query clear !!

Regards

Bala

former_member186667
Active Contributor

Hi Bala,

• In the Development system the SAP ERP is being configured: Customizations are done by the different processes consultants, developments are done by the programmers, etc.
  • The main system is the Production system - this is the system where the end-users work.
  • The end-user are required to perform checks and quality-assurance processes before the different programs and table are transported to the production system - these checks are performed on the Quality Assurance (QA) system.

Each system may have several clients, E.G., the Development system has the main client (usually its 100) - in which the consultants and developer perform the configurations, and another client (e.g. 110 or 120) - in which they can test the configuration.

Each system usually sits on different server. This is the call of the organizational IT department and the BASIS system. They will tell you how to logon to each system.

The transport request, his name suits him, is being used to transport customizations and developments from client to client and from system to system.

Regards,

Liran

Former Member
0 Kudos

Dear Azury ,

Thanks for your help in making me understand the concepts.

Regards

Bala

former_member47879
Active Contributor

Development- the configurations & coding done here

Quality is use for testing

Production is the live client- day to day transactions are performed here.

Transport requests carries the changes from development > quality > production

When the changes done in development will be saved in transport request and it is moved across the landscape.

Thanks

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Potnuru manikya raju,

Thanks for the feedback on my query and making it clear.

Regards

Balaji

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Balaji,

Please see if below links helps you,

SAP Library - Change and Transport System - Overview (BC-CTS)

Also see comments by Anand in below thread:

Regards,

Supriya

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Supriya,

Thanks for the feedback on my query.

Regards

Bala