cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

miniSAP discontinued? How to get alternative trial versions of SAP BW/ABAP?

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hello all,

occasionally I have used in the past miniSAP trial version with temp renewable license.

Yesterday I wanted to launch miniSAP after a long time and I had to renew the license-key. So I went as usual to the SAP license page to renew the key, however I noticed that miniSAP is not supported anymore.

So I tried to download the new edition of SAP software from this site:

https://www.sap.com/developer/trials-downloads.html

There are a lot of stuff, I’m not sure which one is the replacement for miniSAP.

1.SAP BW 7.4 SP2 on SAP MaxDB 7.9 (90 day trial edition)

2.SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.51 SP02

3.SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.50 SP02 and SAP Business Warehouse 7.50 on SAP ASE 16.0

4.SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.50 SP01 and SAP BW on SAP HANA

5.SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP 7.40 Developer & Trial Editions

6.ABAP Development Tools for SAP Netweaver

I tried to get the 1st one but it requires a cloud computing platform (Google, Microsoft, Amazon) which I don’t have. Actually I would like to install it on my local machine rather than having it on the cloud, if possible.

Then I tried the 2nd one, so I got to the following page:

https://tools.hana.ondemand.com/#abap

Now when I try to download 7.51 SP02 from “SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP Developer Edition” section, it opens the following page in SAP Store which is out of date:

https://store.sap.com/sap/cpa/ui/resources/store/html/SolutionDetails.html?pid=0000014493&catID=&pcn...

On this page is the new url for download:

https://www.sap.com/developer/trials-downloads/additional-downloads.html?tag=finder-technical:softwa...

When I open the link “SAP NetWeaver AS ABAP Developer Edition SP02 7.51” on this page, it opens a page with download links for “SAP ABAP AS 7.51 SP02” part 1 to part 10.

Finally when I try to download the 1st part, the license agreement dialog pops up and after accepting the license and submitting I get the message:

"Unfortunately, a technical error occurred when processing your request. Please try again."

So now my questions:

1.Which of the options 1 to 6 should I choose?

2.Is there a trial edition for SAP ERP with the three main modules (Financial Accounting, HCM, Logistics) + BI/BW + ABAP?

3.How can I get rid of the message described above and download the trial version?

4.What is the difference between Developer and Trial Editions?

I hope you can help me out with my questions.

Thanks in advance

Greetings

View Entire Topic
pokrakam
Active Contributor

Why not cloud? It's easy, and if you take care also not too expensive. 8GB is a little on the tight side for an SAP system

The way I see it, I could spend £1000+ on a decent machine, or I can have an SAP instance that:

a) I can set up with 10 minutes effort (+2 hours wait time)
b) is properly specced,
c) I can access from anywhere,
d) if something goes wrong, it takes a few minutes to delete it and create a new one

I used to have my own linux-based setup, but it took hours to maintain and keep up to date. Cloud instance is sooooo much simpler. You're billed for runtime, the ASE version costs around €0.50-ish per hour to run, so just start it when you need it, and shut down when you're done it's not that expensive. I use mine a lot, sometimes for a full workday and it still stays under $50/month most months. If you potter around on it a couple of evenings a week I recon you should come in at €20-30. Plus Azure gives you $100 credit when you sign up so you have nothing to lose by giving it a go.

The developer license lets you run the machine indefinitely as long as you keep renewing it each month. There are also some licensing differences - you're not allowed to develop a commercial application on the trial version, but I believe you can on the dev license.

Jean_Sagi
Participant
0 Kudos

Well, paraphrasing, one can say that "Expensiveness lays in the eye of the beholder"... ;).

I mean, even $200-$300 to $500 in let say 10 months for "learning" perhaps isn't affordable for everyone.
In this regard I think that "taking hours to maintain and keep up to date a linux-based system" is not that bad considering its costs.

For this reason it is important to have options, and the good thing is that SAP have several ones.
You know, "The more the merrier"... 😉

J.

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is it? That's why I compared it with the cost of a machine to run it. Some people - myself included* - would have to buy a new machine to run SAP. So break-even on a decent machine is close to two years, by which time we're probably up to 7.6 which needs more capacity etc.

The other factor is "time is money". I probably used to spend over 20 hours each month on tweaking, upgrading, installing, reinstalling, backing up, replacing drives, troubleshooting, blah blah blah. It can be fun, but when there are higher priorities in life it becomes a chore. Cloud buys me free time at under $2/hour. Bargain! 🙂

But I agree it's all down to individual circumstances. Cloud works very well for me.

*: My main working machine at home is a 6 year old MacBook that performs perfectly well for my needs. When I travel it's usually with just an iPad and a keyboard.

richard_gray
Explorer
0 Kudos

"Why not cloud?"

To test BC-XOM, SAP needs to be able to execute two of our programs, so we have to be able to install on the same system as SAP. I'm guessing this isn't going to work in the cloud? Also, we do RFC from other hosts. Again, this sounds like a pain to make happen (if possible at all) vs. running a minisap on a local server on a local network where we can freely install and test our software concentrate on the communications testing instead of fighting firewalls and such.

I'm currently on the search for a Windows Trial download. I posted the question

https://answers.sap.com/questions/740879/download-for-windows-netweaver-abap-trial-availabl.html

before noticing this page.

pokrakam
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The cloud version includes a windows instance, you can load software onto that. RFC is also no issue - I connected a NetWeaver 7.51 developer instance with another Netweaver 7.52 in order to set up a realistic Gateway / OData scenario. Worked like a charm.