Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

planning versus budget enterprise project

Rene_Vijverberg
Explorer
0 Kudos

Hi Community,

Can somebody explain to me the difference between budget (BUDGET01) and planning (PLN). Both are possible for to upload an excel sheet, but for the budget I can create an item direct in the system. I want to understand the SAP logic. If I see it correctly the PLN is used for the POC calculation, so is my understanding correct that you have to update you ETC via an excel sheet in Enterprise Projects (project with revenue)

Thanks,

Best regards,

Rene

View Entire Topic
johannesh1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Rene,

the planning categories are basically related to different use cases. PLN planning category is to plan project values and to compare them to actual bookings in the multiple reports we have available. BUDGET01 planning category is related to budget availability control so in case you want to block e.g. actual cost postings because the budget is exceeded. PLN is typically "just" used for comparison reasons, it doesn't have technical effects on follow-up processes. 

Practically, if the budget availability control values are identical to your plan values, you could also just use BUDGET01 as the planning category field is available to select in most of the reports that we have available. Nevertheless, best practice recommends to distinguish PLN from BUDGET01 with BUDGET01 being solely used for availability control which is delivered through SSCUI Maintain Budget Availability Control Profile for Projects (102413).

Hope that helps
Johannes

Rene_Vijverberg
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks Johannes but the PLN data is used for revenue recognition or can I change this?
johannesh1
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos
Correct, PLN is pre-maintained and unchangeable according to the revenue recognition settings from SSCUI Maintain Settings for Event-Based Revenue Recognition (102530)
Rene_Vijverberg
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Johannes, another question related to this, is it possible to change the system (exper config.) to create a budget document for plan category PLN
johannesh1
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hi Rene,

this is part of the Revenue Recognition SSCUI that I was mentioning. From Configuration Expert perspective, we cannot change this and I haven't seen this being changed in customer projects yet. However, you can try to raise this topic via Expert Configuration (WCR Request). If you are not aware how to do this, please contact your Enterprise Customer Success Partner.

Kind regards
Johannes