Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

User Friendly Custom Mobile Solutions - Plant Maintenance

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Dear Experts,

I am a Business Analyst and we are looking for some Custom Mobile Solutions for Plant Maintenance in the market.

Does anyone have personal experience with any Custom Mobile Solutions for Plant Maintenance

that you would recommend?

Regards

Kottana

Tim_DB
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Kottana,

Where are you located?

Paulo_Vitoriano
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Is that a new edition of 2019 question? 🙂

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tim De Bock,

Located in Germany.

Regards

Kottana

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi paulo.vitoriano,

Sorry but yes, we tried to manage with screen personas and slipstreams

but we are looking for ready-made solutions with more capabalities. So posting this topic again to get some insights 🙂

Regards

Kottana

former_member224809
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Siva,

Technically building a custom mobile solution is not a big challenge. F

1. Process should be very simple (like fiori apps) if you bring too many options designing from scratch & testing will be a huge challenge for functional team

2. Online & Offline functionality of app

3. If backend system is S4 data transfer from & to is not a problem. If its ECC we need a gateway server for data exchange

4. Its also related to above point: Platform on which we are mounting the app need to discussed with technical team (for S4 & ECC)

Regards

Varun

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Varun,

Thank you for detailed suggestion on alternative approach .

Our priority is to find out ready-made solution due to shortage of time,

hence developing an app was not an option.

Regards

Kottana

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (4)

Answers (4)

peter_atkin
Active Contributor

Siva,

Do you need offline capability, or is this an always connected (e.g. via wifi) scenario?

PeteA

Oscar_DC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This is really the question to answer. If I had to do my implementation all over again, I wouldn't do it using work manager.

People think they need offline capabilities ... But if you use offline capabilities too much you end up with plenty of syncing issues in standard SAP. For example, you end up with a user trying to update an operation which someone in the backend manually Tecoed.

Personal opinion ... If you can have a device using a celular connection and have a good method to authenticate to your SAP system, then you could just use any online app. It'll be cheaper and more stable than using work manager / asset manager in offline mode.

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Both. At some places inside the plant there is really no good connection of wifi , hence offline capability is needed along with online.

Regards

Siva

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

There are few apps on the SAP Store which offer both online and offline capabilities. But the usage of offline Capability compared to Online is little low at our Organization.

Is it not a good move to use both capabilities? just like @Oscar Del mentioned.

Regards

Siva

peter_atkin
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Siva,

It depends on you business requirements..

You certainly need to consider this on/offline capability during your product evaluation.

PeteA

peter_atkin
Active Contributor

Kottana,

"user-friendly" is very subjective.. It depends on what you want from the mobile solution.

Asset Manager is SAP's current solution, but it's basically a mobile plant maintenance module, and could be considered too complicated for some business requirements.

I've been on 6 projects now which have included a mobile solution, and in every case the client has decided to simplify the standard software front-end to suit their specific business needs.

I'm sure there are other client who use the standard "out-of-the-box" product.

PeteA

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Peter,

Understood, many thanks for sharing your experiences and opinions.

I will close this thread. Much appreciated

Regards

Kottana

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

We use SAP Gui XT by Synactive - we have used it for several years

I believe SAP offers Work Manager/Asset Manager as well

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Tammy,

Many thanks for the suggestion. Will add to my options

Regards

Kottana

Oscar_DC
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

We use SAP Work Manager, but you shouldn't try that anymore. The newest version is asset manager. There's a ton of similar offerings out there.

former_member631022
Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Oscar Del Castillo,

Many thanks for the response, SAP Asset Manger is under our consideration 🙂

Regards

Kottana