cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using Product Master vs. Material Master in S/4 HANA

I have read numerous discussions regarding the use of the Product Master Record in S/4 HANA, but the decision points as to whether a Product Master or a Material Master are not discussed.

The only benefits I have found to using a Product Master are:

- the PMR is supported by a Fiori App (not sure if the MMR is)

- the PMR must be used to support EWM and some SCM functionality, but the MMR can still be used with reference to the PMR for all other item data.

First, are my points above correct? Second, are there any other benefits to using the PMR or the MMR?

View Entire Topic
former_member355989
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Hi James,

In Past, often Material and Product have been used as synonyms but S4Hana distinguish these two terms to avoid anomaly.

"Product" refers to any object that includes materials, articles, and services while "Material" is a tangible product such as a sell-able article, packaging, auxiliary material and expendable supplies.

Fiori app offers the possibility to access Create, change and Display Material directly or you may click on "Manage Product Master Data" for all kinds of products. Please have a look at this blog for detailed explanation: ProductVsMaterial

For comparison between PMR and MMR please refer to Feature Comparison for Apps in Product Master

To know everything that Manage Product Master offers, Please refer here

Regards,

Shraddha