cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAP Client Copy - Database Size

dustinkredmond
Explorer
0 Kudos

We recently took a client copy from our PRD ECC database of 222,040 MB and copied to a test system.

The resulting total size of that test database after the copy was 257,972 MB. We are on MSSQL, with the test database set to Simple Recovery Model. Has anyone experienced such a dramatic increase in size of the database in the target system. If so, does anyone know what the reason for this is?

clas_hortien
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi,

have you checked the table compression for both of the systems, maybe you have PAGE in PRD and ROW in DEV ?

Why are you using the r3load approach, why not the backup/restore or detach/attach approach, which are much faster and less error prone?

Regards

Clas

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

S_Sriram
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Dustin,

Have you checked the table VBTP size before doing the client copy? or on the target system are you having more than one client after performing the client copy?

Regards

SS

mamartins
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The PRD size you mentioned is from the running DB or is the backup size? Usually, the backup is always smaller than the size of the running DB because of the space that the engine needs to operate.

The recovery model doesn’t impact the DB data size.

You can take a report from the top 50 tables using Management Studio on both servers and compare.

dustinkredmond
Explorer
0 Kudos

I've run several queries to analyze the largest tables in both the test database instance and the production instance. Many of the tables that were copied from PRD appear to be using more space in DEV.

One example, VBRP in PRD is 3,741 MB, but in the test system it's 4,080 MB. There has been no user activity since the client copy. I'm not sure how, but the row counts in those tables are different as well. We only have one client on the test machine, so the rows aren't from a different client. I'll continue to do some research here.

mamartins
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Perhaps you have jobs on production for archiving and/deletion, and on the test system there aren’t jobs running.

on PRD DBACOCKPIT you can view DB size history and compare with the moment where the copy to the test system was made.