Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem in adding dimension to a cube with data

Ankur_Jain
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi,

I am trying to add 2 dimensions to a model in BPC 10.0 which is having approx 60 Lacs records. When I add dimensions to the cube and click on Save, the process goes on and on. I have following queries:

1. Can this activity of adding dimensions to a model (with data) be scheduled as a background job?

2. When I am doing this in foreground, I am not able to see any corresponding job in SM37/SM50? How do I track whether my job is running or the system is hanged?

Plesse suggest. Thanks.

Regards,

Ankur

View Entire Topic
former_member225135
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ankur,

Please check note:   2274247 - Unable to modify or copy Model which has many transaction data on BW 7.4

After Applying the note, I was able to add dimension in Model even if it has transaction data.

Regards,

Rahul

Ankur_Jain
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul, Khokan,

@Rahul.......I am not getting any of the errors mentioned in the note. I don't think this note is applicable to me.

@Both Rahul and Khokan, I am able to add the dimension in a model having less data. But, the problem is adding dimension to this model which is having a large number of records.

Any further suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.

Regards,

Ankur

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Ankur,

My suggestion is first you clear all the data . If you require that data in model then probably you need to export data it to a flat file, clear all data from model, add new dimension in model, modify exported flat file by including new dimension  and then load it again.For large number of transaction data in model bpc not allowed to add or  modification dimension in the model

Khokan

former_member225135
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Ankur,

Even I was able to add dimension which has less number of data.I had a model which had 8 millions records. Adding a dimension in that model gives an error.

To resolve this issue, I have raised this ticket to SAP and after a span of one month, SAP has released this note and I was then able to add dimension in that model.

Check whether that note is applicable to your BW landscape.

Regarding ENABLE_FIXED_CUBENAME, you need to set this in Model parameter and you will be required to keep the filed EMPTY.

SAP NOTE: 2149043 - "Modify model XXX failed. Model XXX has transaction data

says:

"If ENABLE_FIXED_CUBENAME = '', user can modify the cube even if it has transaction data involved."

But setting this parameter will not solve the issue of adding dimension in model which have huge transaction data.

Regards,

Rahul

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Rajul,

what if you delete the Transactional data and try it.

Delete the transactional data , Process the Dimension and process the model.

and try to add .

former_member225135
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Narasaiah,

Deleting data and adding dimension in model will work.

But what if client is not ready to touch previous transaction data, then you don't have any option.

Regards,

Rahul

Ankur_Jain
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hi Rahul,

The note mentioned by you is not applicable as the client have BW 7.3

Also, you mentioned correctly that client is not ready to touch the previous transaction data so I can't try deleting the data and reloading it and that too when volume of data is huge.

Still stuck with the issue. If you have any further suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Regards,

Ankur

former_member225135
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

A work around can be done:

1. create a copy of your model

2. delete the data from the copied model

3. Add dimension in copied model

4. Move data from Original Model to Copied Model (using Destination App)

This workaround will work.

Regards,

Rahul