Human Capital Management Blogs by Members
Gain valuable knowledge and tips on SAP SuccessFactors HCM suite and human capital management market from member blog posts. Share your insights with a post of your own.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
maseitner
Active Participant

Introduction

Business rules for SuccessFactors Recruiting offer a tremendous value add in terms of automating and accelerating Recruiting Processes as well as minimizing risk and supporting compliance.

Company Administrators can create, use and manage Business Rules completely by themselves as it is a pure Admin task.

Yet not many companies using SuccessFactors Recruiting benefit from business rules to facilitate their processes. This blog is intended to be an impetus for the use of business rules in recruiting.

I have picked three concrete use cases to show how business rules can improve the recruiting process. I am looking forward to your comments and ideas to create other rules and discuss.
*Screenshots are taken from a demo system. All data shown are demo data without reference to real persons.

1. Automatically sort candidates based on ABC-Rating

Many companies assess new applications based on an ABC-Rating as a first Recruiter Pre-Screening, however without any subsequent automatic action or moving of candidates.

With Business Rules e.g. a rating of "A" can automatically move a candidate to a "Short List" status and trigger an Email to Hiring Manager asking to assess the candidate further. A rating of "B" will move candidates to "on Hold" status for a later detailed check and a "C" rating will directly disqualify candidates to a "To be rejected" status. This helps Recruiters to quickly assess and organize new candidates and gives them more time for candidates with best fit.

In the moment a Recruiter rates the candidate, the Business Rule will change the status. Upon saving the status is automatically changed based on the rating.

2. Automatically compare salary expectation from candidate to salary range defined for position

Many companies have a salary range (salary min. and salary max.) included in their position details and hence have it mapped to job requisition. Further many companies ask their applicants to provide their salary expectation.

With an easy Business Rule you can have SuccessFactors compare applicant's salary expectation with the salary range defined in the job requisition and display the result in the overview.

With business rules, you can even go a step further and have a candidate automatically moved to a Rejection status with automatic delayed rejection mail and have the rejection reason set to "Salary expectation exceeded" if candidate's expectation is too high.

3. Salary calculation in the offer approval process

The offer approval process is meant to define and approve the final hiring data - among them the salary information - for a new employee before pushing the candidate over to onboarding. Many companies still do salary calculation manually or outside of SuccessFactors.

With business rules you can do calculations on the fly and compare final salary to range which will help Recruiters be more efficient and avoid mistakes.

Here is an easy example:

Total salary = Negotiated Base Salary + Negotiated Bonus + 13th month salary (Base Salary divided by 12) + optional Relocation Pack (500 € one time).

Based on typing the negotiated Base Salary the Business Rules will calculate first the 13th month salary and then the total salary based on Relocation Pack decision.

When defining the final Start Date and before sending for approval the Business Rule will compare the Total Salary to the salary range defined in the job requisition and notify the Recruiter.

Conclusion

This blog is meant to give some concrete examples of how Business Rules can easily improve your recruiting process and offer automation wherever need.

Business Rules for Recruiting can be built into running recruiting processes at any time by company administrators as it is an admin task.

Please let me know when you are interested in my Business Rules supporting the above mentioned Use Cases.

I'm looking forward and I'm very interested in your ideas and concrete business rules you have in place or want to create. Let's discuss.

As a great basis of how to start over with configuring business rules, I want to recommend the great blog post from aparna_samudrala https://blogs.sap.com/2018/01/23/using-business-rules-in-successfactors-recruiting-management/ (although some years old, still valid in most aspects)
5 Comments
SteffieD
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Martin,

Thanks for this, its very useful. May I know if there is a way to set rules for the Requisition Route Map? Specifically the scenario where is an approver (for step 4) rejects a requisition, the requisition should automatically go to the originator (step 1).

I have been trying to figure something out, haven't been successful yet, would be great to hear your suggestions.

Steffie

maseitner
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi steffie.d

thanks for your comment.
Regarding your question: To my knowledge, there is no possibility to apply business rules to Job Requisition Route Map. We also often struggle with Route Map functionalities and customer requirements, unfortunately the route is still not very dynamic.

Sorry that I cannot give you a better tip.

Thanks and BR

Martin
SteffieD
Explorer
0 Kudos
Thanks Martin! Helps that we are sailing in the same boat 🙂 Eagerly waiting for SAP to solution the enhancement that is raised for this!
maricrishcruz
Explorer
0 Kudos
Hi Martin,

Thank you for sharing useful information. Is it possible if you can share how, you configure the Business Rules from your shared scenarios?

Appreciate your help.

EM.
maseitner
Active Participant
0 Kudos
Hi m.h.cruz

Please see some screenshots for the rules below.

1. ABC Rating
    In my Demo System they this rule is built very basic. You may need to add additional if-conditions that account for back-and-forth moving in the process or repeated changes by the users.

2. Compare Salary

3. Salary Calculation

Please let me know if you need further help

Labels in this area