cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Pros/cons of having a field in Job info vs. in the Position (and then syncing to Job Info) ?

dllaverias
Explorer
0 Kudos

My company has EC implemented and we use position management. Often times, me and my team find ourselves questioning whether a field/data point is supposed to be added to the position object(and then sync to Job Info) or just stored in job info.

We are trying to add a field in the system that indicates what template of performance evaluation to assign to someone, depending on the nature of their job. Something like a cost center, or a department makes sense that its in the positions object. This particular field, not sure. Are there any benefits or downsides of having something just in Job info? In which option is easier to get rid of this field if we no longer need the field? Any best practices or rule of thumbs?

Accepted Solutions (0)

Answers (2)

Answers (2)

karenperez
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Dear dllaverias,

Trying to answer your question on when to create a field at position level and when at job info, here some considerations:

• Position: Create fields at the position level when the information is specific to individual positions within your organization. For example, fields related to position location, department, manager, or unique responsibilities.
  • Job Information: Create fields at the job information level when the information is common across multiple positions that share the same job role and are related to the employee in your company. For example, fields related employment type.

I hope this helps you.

Thank you.

Best Regards,

Karen Perez

MaheshWashikar
Participant
0 Kudos

For above mentioned requirement here is my suggestion from my best understanding

- The field should be created directly on Job Info and not on Position

Reasons:

Lets say today you are using one to one relationship between Position and Employee then I don't see a problem. But if you wish to use One to Many in future then it might be little tricky to sync this data

Performance Evaluation is something which happens year to year basis and maybe every year template for person might get change depending on his/her Job Info or development of new templates. But its not necessary that Position data should also change because of this. If you have field on Position every year there will be one additional line item to employee which might increase size of your Position file and might create Problem for upload of Bulk Position changes in future considering 30000 line item limit

If you have field on Job Info its easy to write workflow based on this field or change of this field if required compared to having this field on Position as for doing so you will have to use Position Types (If you are not using it already)

Permission setup is also simple in Employee Central Effective dates entities compared to field level override on Position object

Last but not least it then can directly be mapped to EP if required to be used in any other Talent modules

Hope this helps you to get more clarity.

dllaverias
Explorer
0 Kudos

Thanks for your reply Mahesh. We do have a 1-to-1 relationship between Position and Employee , which means there shouldnt be many problems regardless of the path we choose.