Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RFC usage vs Webservice call in MII

former_member186078
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hello Friends,

As you know, we have multiple approaches for calling the backend ABAP system from MII transaction i.e., using RFC or Webservice.

I would like to understand which one is better in performance we are going to perform frequent calls. From the technical background I have, I would prefer using Webservice SOAP calls compared to RFC. But, I was curious to know is it the same case with MII system too?

So, I would request you to please share your thoughts on this topic.

View Entire Topic
former_member185280
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

I tend to prefer RFC via Jco because you end up with a much easier implementation when you start getting into more complicated scenarios involving commits/rollbacks and maintaining sessions across calls. Performance wise making multiple calls within a single session definitely decreases some over head plus the connection pooling but for all I know under the surface Jco could just be making a web service call anyway .  For really high volume stuff I create a wrapper RFC that calls a function in sap in a background task and returns the connection so it isn't held long and the the background function pushes the results to MII via the message listener. That way resources in MII aren't blocked waiting for SAP to finish it's proccessing + MII and SAP can kinda meter their own resources and not get overwhelmed.

former_member186078
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Christian,

Is it the same case you think if we are using the MII as the front end tool for data retrieval and execution? Because, this is one of the major requirement for us where we would like to make use MII for front end tool.

ponilango_p
Explorer
0 Kudos

HI Aditya,

As rightly pointed out SAP RFC calls are SAP native web service methods and in addition to his points, SAP JCO RFC calls also support

1. Single sign-on
  2. Crucial cross module validations required for a transaction execution (Eg., Material lock check on Goods movement, Order status check on Creating Time Ticket etc..)
  3. Message Queuing for exactly once in order execution of a set of RFCs & Data buffering for the queue job.

So with SAP MII as your front end tool for data retrieval and execution, it is recommended and is always better to go with SAP JCO based RFC calls.

With regards,

Ponilango

former_member186078
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Hi Christian and Ponilango,

I did understand your points. Its a good information. However, at the same time, I was going through one of the blog.

It has a nice information about how we can consume these Enterprise services for MII. So, was curious, what would be best compared to these Vs RFC communication.

I was in the impression all the time that Enterprise services are better than JCo calls.

Please help me understand...

former_member185280
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

"better" in this case is subjective. If there is some unique functionality you need or you feel more comfortable using ES go for it. Currently from an MII development perspective I think using JCo provides a quicker and cleaner implementation. Also in the wild you are more likely to get access or a resource on the abap/rfc side from a client than you are on the web service side. ' my advice but I don't have a bias I have done both. If you really want to get some idea to help make an architectural decision pick a few scenarios and implement them both ways.

former_member186078
Active Participant
0 Kudos

Thanks Christian for your quick reply and appreciate for your valuable inputs.