cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bug: I get "New Qeustions in Tags I follow"-notifications, although I have them turned off!

joachimrees1
Active Contributor

I was surprised with lot's (7) of notifications today. When I looked, they all where of "New Question Tagged with[Tag I follow]" - Type.
- I never got them before

- I don't want them.

The text says how to turn them off (see screenshot), but when I looked, the already WHERE turned off (again: see screenshot)
Hope you can find out / tell me what happend, and prevent it happening again.

Thanks!

Joachim

abo
Active Contributor

Ok, so I am not seeing things, good 😄

Lakshmipathi
Active Contributor

Yes me too facing this issue

bmcdonn2
Participant

Same issue here. Had like 20 inbox notifications this morning.

krisa24
Participant

I am facing the issue too.

former_member186338
Active Contributor

New notifications are still coming! Please, stop it!

Johan_H
Active Contributor

Same here, very annoying.

raymond_giuseppi
Active Contributor
artemkovalov
Employee
Employee

There's however something you can do already now:

Option 1: Go to you Profile, open Content & Following section and remove all the needless Tags and Posts that generate these notifications. They are sent because you're subscribed to those. Unsubscribing will stop receiving notifications for them.

Option 2: Find the Tag or Post in Community portal and unsubscribe there. The effect should be the same.

Johan_H
Active Contributor

artemkovalov,

These workarounds are no good, because the best way to get to a forum/tag, is to follow it, so it shows up on the right. Unfollowing a tag means that now I have to surf for half an hour to find it each time I want to check it.

carpe_diem
Community Manager
Community Manager
0 Kudos

From the comments above I see that (at least some) people are following a tag out of simple convenience to have a list of tags on the right when browsing Q&A or Blogs.

But following a tag is actually a subscription action.
It was always designed like that. By following a tag you subscribe to the events happening under that tag.
Until recently you could basically negate that by turning off all the notification channels, but that beats the purpose of subscribing to it. Except of course the aforementioned convenience.

abo
Active Contributor
carpe_diem

there was an option to receive email notifications independently from inbox messages: I would disable all inbox messages except proper personal messages. From time to time, a quick scroll through email notifications, then acting on those of interest and delete the others. Now I get both an email and a slew of inbox messages, which must be separately deleted. Somehow I am not impressed. Mind´you, I did not turn of the notifications: I chose the format that I found most convenient. That is now gone.

Marian_Zeis
Active Contributor

Hi vladimir.gershanov

i´m following the tags so i can see everything under Activities what´s going on. No Notification in my inbox.
If i want specifically information in my inbox there is a dedicated switch to turn these on.

Obviously, a lot of people use this feature.
I don't think it's good to say "we have never designed it that way".
You built it that way and it worked that way for a long time.
Now to put the blame on the user is a pity.

It's actually a simple case: I want to follow tags but not have a notification in the inbox.

Tomas_Buryanek
Active Contributor

Same bug here. It started happening about 14 days ago. And notifications come up randomly. Not every question in followed space seems to be notified.

View Entire Topic
artemkovalov
Employee
Employee

Hey joachim.rees3 ,

I'm really sorry to hear about this inconvenience. Since recently, Inbox is mandatory channel for notifications because in the near future it will be a stand alone App with powerful filters that are going to allow you hide this notifications from your eyes. The current version of Inbox doesn't allow that, but you still have it for you "Email". Which means you won't be "spammed" there.

There's however something you can do already now:

Option 1: Go to you Profile, open Content & Following section and remove all the needless Tags and Posts that generate these notifications. They are sent because you're subscribed to those. Unsubscribing will stop receiving notifications for them.

Option 2: Find the Tag or Post in Community portal and unsubscribe there. The effect should be the same.

The root cause of this problem is in subscriptions you have and the channels configuration was somewhat abused to filter out smth that is not of interest any longer. We'll get those filters back in more explicit form in the new Notification Center experience.

I hope that unsubscribing will help alleviating the pain while we're working on a better tool.

joachimrees1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Well, ok, so I'll unfollow this tag now: https://answers.sap.com/tags/833755570260738661924709785639136

(posting the link here, as later - when the bug is fixed - I want to find it and follow it again.

iklovski
Active Contributor

joachim.rees3 We are now told the classical that "this is not a bug, but a feature" 😉

former_member186338
Active Contributor

I have 9 tags followed - I am using followed tags to look on my Activity Stream!

But I DON'T WANT TO RECEIVE NOTIFICATIONS ABOUT NEW QUESTIONS IN THE FOLLOWED TAGS!

It makes notifications useless!

Stop IT!

abo
Active Contributor

Basically, right now this is more like a DDoS 😄

I'll stop deleting (and reading!) notifications until this is resolved.

abo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Incidentally, why is every single notification I get saying "former member" yet when I click to navigate I see a real active profile with name and all seems ok?!

artemkovalov
Employee
Employee
0 Kudos

Hi c5e08e0478aa4727abc4482f5be390b2 , I don't know. If you post an example with some screenshots, I can share your feedback to my colleagues.

abo
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

This just in:

Link to question and gregmontoya