SAP Learning Blog Posts
Get updates on SAP learning journeys and share your own experiences by contributing a blog post to the SAP Learning group.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
HayBouten
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

During my SAP TechEd in 2021 - Live Learning Sessions - SAP HANA 2.0 meets the Time Lord you submitted many questions, due to time restrictions I wasn't able to answer them.

Here is the list with questions and my answers.

Question 1: Is this session being recorded?
Answer 1: Yes, you can find the recording here. Live Learning Sessions - SAP HANA 2.0 meets the Time Lord  

Question 2: Is replication sync between primary and secondary affected due to time travel.
Answer 2: The classic answer here would be "It depends". If you use the standard time travel option, you have to re-sync the secondary again. A full sync is mostly not needed, as the system isn't changed during time travel.
If you use the option to time travel while replication continues the system keeps the replication alive. Using the command: hdbnsutil -sr_recoveruntil --endTime=max will bring the system to the last possible log position.

Question 3: How often should we do the copy from the primary to the secondary system?
Answer 3: A full data shipment is automatically during the initial setup, this is only needed once. After that initial full data shipment the systems are kept in sync by using continuous log replay. Only when the system can't get into sync after a time travel our a shutdown or .... the system will perform a full data shipment again.

Question 4: I tried connecting to the secondary using the SAP HANA Studio, but that never worked.
Answer 4: You can only connect to the secondary system when using the operation mode logreplay_readaccess. I'm not sure if SAP HANA Studio can handle this feature, because SAP HANA Studio is deprecated. SAP HANA Studio was very good for working with SAP HANA 1.0, but for SAP HANA 2.0 you really should use SAP HANA Cockpit as it supports all the new features of SAP HANA 2.0.
In my demonstration during the SAP Live Learning session you saw how SAP HANA Cockpit allows me to connect to the secondary system.

Question 5: Is it possible to connect to the secondary system to take a backup in SAP HANA Cockpit or SAP HANA Studio,
Answer 5: Performing a backup on the secondary system isn't possible, but I think it's on the roadmap for future SAP HANA 2.0 Support Package Stacks. For SAP HANA Studio this will never be possible as it is deprecated.

This completed the lists of questions asked during the SAP Live Learning session - SAP HANA 2.0 meets the Time Lord . I grouped a few questions together, as they were content wise the same.

Thanks for attending the SAP Live Learning Session.

-- Hay