cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Password database explorer - Wrong answer in quiz?

Meinrad
Participant
0 Kudos

Hi,

and here another question regarding "Explore Provisioning and Administration with SAP HANA Cloud"

When I took the quiz of unit "Database Explorer for SAP HANA Cloud" I got this wrong anser reported

Meinrad_0-1675257364425.png

To me it seems that there is a contradiction. Either the explanation is not correct or "True" is correct answer.

any clarification welcome
Meinrad Funke

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

HayBouten
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@Meinrad When you open the database explorer for the first time, after you have closed your browser, there is an authentication request from the SAP IDS.

So to me the question and answer are correct.

-- Hay

Meinrad
Participant
0 Kudos

Sorry, this time I have different opinion. First of all I think it is necessary to point out that we have two different topics in that discussion.

a) The answer in the Quiz. Question is (in short): Is it necessary to provide a password for Database Explorer. Explanation says (in short) that a password is not required for Database Explorer. So just from the explanation we can assume that "True" is correct answer. But it is marked as incorrect.  This is in my opinion a contradiction regardless of what is correct in reality.

b) What is the reality? Do we need a password to access Database Explorer or not? Well, I think I see your point. But when I am very strict and read word by word I can say that  providing a password is not always necessary when I open Database Explorer for the first time. Please check following sequence of activities
1.) Navigate to space
2.) Open HANA Cloud Central
3.) Provide password as requested
4.) Open Database Explorer
With that sequence I do not have to provide a password to open Database Explorer. I know... I did that already when I opened HANA Cloud Central.  

Sorry for being that picky. The main reason is that based on experience from OpenSAP and other certification attempts from other colleagues every single word can be important. That's the reason why I sometimes go into such details. I agree that on project level this is not really important.  

Answers (1)

Answers (1)

HayBouten
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

@Meinrad I think you read the question and answer wrong.

Your point a)
The question is if this statement is true or false: When you open the SAP HANA database explorer, it will connect automatically to the selected database, no additional authentication is required.

That statement is false. The explanation is: Incorrect. Opening the SAP HANA database explorer does need additional authentication. The authentication is performed by the SAP ID service to map your BTP account to the SAP HANA database user account. 

Where do you read in the explanation that authentication is NOT required. It clearly states that it IS required.

Your point b)
In your reality example the interactive authentication already happened when you opened SAP HANA Cloud Central, that is true. SAP HANA database explorer uses that SAP HANA Cloud Central authentication because it is still valid, and doesn't require an interactive authentication.

That you do not have to specify username/password doesn't mean that you are not authenticated. If that, in general, was true ... what would be the point of SSO? 

-- Hay

Meinrad
Participant
0 Kudos

As I said - from project perspective all good. SSO is in place. That is the important message. . We can also agree that "another" authentication than logon to BTP must be in place in order to use Database Explorer. Maybe it would be good to know why I have to authenticate when I open HANA cloud Central. What's the basic idea of those 2 users for BTP and HANA Cloud Central?
But reading word by word - it was asked if I have to provide a password. And when I played around I didn't have to because I started Database Explorer from HANA Cloud Central. Besides... The question is not specificly asking for the first launch of Database Explorer. It is asking generally. I guess we agree that for second launch no password is required 😉
I can see that this is difficult to discuss here. Thanks for trying to give me clarification. I think that discussion helped me to get a better understanding here even though I struggle with the exact wording.

HayBouten
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
@Meinrad, on the why you have to authenticate when opening SAP HANA Cloud Central, SAP HANA Cockpit or SAP HANA database explorer, Looking at the URL, I guess because it's a seperate application in it's own domain.