Attached you will find the 2018 SAP SuccessFactors VSaaS release schedule. As you will notice, this years schedule is broken up into 2 categories. The general upgrade schedule, which is very similar to last year's although a couple weeks variation. There is also a seperate upgrade schedule for a small group of customers that have a very large database size. Any customer falling into that category will be notified directly regarding this modified schedule, through direct email as well as through your Customer Support Manager. As previosuly mentioned, there are several components to this years upgrade that may require an extended downtime, but this will be a one time effort that we do not forsee will occur again in later upgrades. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause. Thank you for being a valued Validated SaaS customer of SAP SuccessFactors.
Sany, can you explain the 10 day window between Dev and Test for the final version of the release? Previously, this had been 4-5 weeks (December to January) and now its only Jan 16 to Jan 26. This is a pretty short window to finalize everything in Dev and move into the Test environment.
Hi Logan, yes in previous years we were afforded some additional time during the end of year operational black out between this patch application, but the general cadence of Sandbox to Preview patches has regularly been about 10 days. Please help me understand how much validation activities you typically would perform during this patch process as the number of fixed issues between p8-p16 this last year was fairly equivalent to the number of fixed issues in VSaaS patch1 and 2 (between 25-35) from what I can see.
To be frank, Sany--we generally don't do more than exploratory work during the patching cycle. We need to be able to configure and write test script against final functionality. The weekly patches make this window hard to use from a validation perspective.
In this scenario, we would have to do our normal December/January work in the patched environment, dealing with changes as they come, and then perform full regression testing of all of our IQ/OQ scripts during the 10 day Dev to Test window, once we knew the system wasn't going to change.
Perhaps this is a good topic for our next LSIG call, because functionality should not change between the initial upgrade to the january patch. Its just defect fixes. Especially if you're referencing writing the text scripts on the sandbox environment, why wait only until the patch has been applied to get started? Also if that's the case, what evaluation variance would there be then that you'd have to react to in the 10 days if you havent really started activities until that point? I'd be really interested to see what approach others take as well. I'll ask the SIG chairs to add this as a topic for our next call. Appreciate all the feedback.
Post production patch schedule is on page 2 of the document btw 🙂
Thanks on the patch dates! duh!
The last two years, the final version hit dev in early December, and test in mid-January. Even with holidays, we had 3-4 weeks to perform upgrade related validation prep.
Though these are bug fixes, the problem from a validation perspective is we don't know if the changes broke something or made the steps of a test slightly different. Discovering something like this once we get into the Test environment can be pretty catestrophic to the timeline, so we need to ensure we dry-run test everything on the final version of the release in the Dev environment before we touch Test.
This can be even further complicated by installation scripts (IQ's), as they may be more difficult to execute more than once, so we generally need to wait until the final release before we attempt them (which means we can't write test scripts if the config hasn't been applied).
Sany, it also looks like the Prod outage window is on SUnday again. I know that was pushed back to Saturday last year based on our pestering.
This year, we have been moved to a XL customer base, so this is24 hours ending on 11PM EST Sunday. That would severly cut into business hours and would provide no opportunity for our post-upgrade configurations. Can we work to get this moved to Saturday?
P&G is an always on global company, and as such I'm concerned that a Saturday/Sunday release will not give us enough time to test the new release and make our configuration choices before Asia comes on line Monday morning. Our strong preference would be for a Friday/Saturday release, similiar to what we had last year.
For some reason, since the patch, our user intergrations weren't working as designed. The users showed up on the preview BizX export but did not flow over to LMS.
We stopped and started in the Connector in LMS and it fixed the issue. We still can't find the reason why. Anyone else have this issue?
The process for getting consolidated release notes was described in a previous postby Daniel Mehaffey:
Starting in Q3 2017, we restructured our Help Portal pages to accommodate annual releases. As a vSaaS customer, you can always get the Q3 version of our Learning documentation and Release Information and you can see the latest version.
You have a few ways to see it. First, you can use the xx08 URLs
The Help Portal always defaults to the latest product page and the latest document. If you land on the latest page and want to see the Q3 page, please use the Version list to select Q3. The attached example shows the version list in the Release Information page.
Using the above info and translating 1708 into 1808 should take you there eventually:
Hope this helps!