SAP TechEd Blog Posts
Share your experiences about SAP TechEd: Write about your favorite sessions and other conference highlights.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member

One of the benefits of social media is that events have been transformed into virtual shared experiences. Industry conferences used to be closed-door gatherings exclusive to only those fortunate enough to attend. Today social media removes those physical barriers and enables events to reach and engage a worldwide audience. And with mobile devices making it so easy to capture photos and videos, attendees can create and share valuable content almost instantly.

With SAP TechEd 2013 in Amsterdam this week (following the Las Vegas event two weeks ago), I wanted to outline a few simple ways that attendees can pay it forward by sharing their experiences with their colleagues and peers. While many of the conference sessions will be broadcast on www.sapteched.com/online, the energy and personality of TechEd can only be articulated by the attendees themselves who are “on the ground” and fully immersed in the event.

With that in mind, here are 7 simple ways that attendees can share their SAP TechEd experience:

1. Follow the #SAPTechEd hashtag and contribute: Social feed monitors will be placed throughout the venue so attendees can view tweets, photos and videos in real time. By keeping an eye on the social stream, you can join the conversation by replying, re-tweeting, or sharing your own insights.

2. Tweet the best sound bites: This is perhaps the easiest way to quickly share out information. You will hear a lot of great quotes from numerous speakers - from keynotes to evening events to any of the 1,000 educational sessions during the week. You can help surface the most valuable insights at the show (and don’t forget to use #SAPTechEd to optimize your online voice).

3. Create a virtual tour: One of the most underrated things an attendee can do is to create a 1st-person video of what it’s like to be at TechEd. It doesn’t need to be long, scripted, or filled with analysis. Just point and shoot images or videos of things you find interesting. Examples could include virtual tours of the show floor or a photo series from a compelling session.

4. Share the fun stuff! Let’s be honest – the fun, silly and cool moments are what people remember most from an event. There are so many ways to capture the vibe of TechEd, eg:

5. Write a recap: If you have a lot of thoughts to share, write an event recap as an SCN blog. Or you can film a short video interview if you want to play roving reporter :smile: . Here are some great recaps from last year:

Note: We've also announced a "Share the Knowledge" mission/competition that will help you earn SCN points and badges. Check out christina.millers blog post to get the details.

6. Maintain your connections after the event: This is common senseyet powerful. Whenever you connect with someone at TechEd, try to keep the communication going after the event. You don’t even need a business card (btw does anyone still use business cards?). Just get the person’s name and follow him/her on Twitter, LinkedIn, SCN, or their social network of choice.

7. The TechEd Mobile App: This year we've introduced a new SAP TechEd Mobile App and it is quite robust and awesome. Not only can you quickly access event information, session details, and maps, but you can also post updates and photos, interact with other attendees, and share your posts via social media platforms. You’ll also earn points and badges for check-ins to sessions, partner booths, and other challenges – with Leaderboards shown on monitors throughout the venue. To download it, just go to your App Store and search for “SAP TechEd”.

I hope you found this useful. Remember that many of our colleagues around the world will be jealous of us at TechEd. Let's do our best to include them in our week of experiences.

I forward to seeing you (in person or online) this year!

Follow Chris at @ChrisKimSAP.

32 Comments
former_member184473
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

5. Write a recap:

This is very important! :smile:

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks Eduardo. Glad you found it valuable 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

Good Day!

Thank you so much for your efforts for explaining about "7 Simple Ways to Share Your #SAPTechEd Experience". It will be very useful for freshers or new comers who is going to attend SAPTechEd.

Nicely Written! Keep sharing valuable tips like this.

I appreciate.

Have a wonderful day! :smile:

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

Jitendra_Kansal
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

christopher.kim

nice tip.

fantastic stuff !!!

Rgrds,

Jitendra

srinu_s1
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi

Very useful information shared.Thanks for sharing, keep sharing :smile:

Thanks,

Srinu.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Yeah. Thanks for sharing.

3. Create a virtual tour

Sounds great. :smile:

suman_sardar2
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Very informative,

Thanks for sharing.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Hari. It was a fun post to write and I'm glad you enjoyed it. If you're going to TechEd hopefully I'll see you there! (I'll likely be in the Clubhouse most of the time).

Thanks again,
Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Jitendra. I really appreciate your kind words 🙂

Best regards,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you Srinivas! I'll definitely be sharing quite a bit while in Las Vegas (and Amsterdam!)

Best,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Bjoern. The virtual tours are fun because it's informal and people who aren't onsite really seem to enjoy them. It's the "1st person" perspective that most people don't get to see.

Best,

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thank you, Suman. Happy to share these thoughts and I'm glad you liked it!

Best regards,

Chris

former_member374
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Great points Kim.

One additional one. The joke goes like this:

"How was the wedding?"

Bride/Groom: "I don't know, I haven't see the pictures yet."

Yes share as much and as long as it doesn't distract from you being there, learning new stuff, getting to know new interesting people.

Take tons of notes and share later.

My best example is the SAP Jam Band session last year was epic for many people, but almost no tweets during that time, as everyone was engaged, part of making the event great.

There is spectator or some call them lurkerr, then there is semi engaged, those are the ones that tweet and take pictures/make videos and then there are the ones that fully engage in the moment and make that moment special.

It is super rare for us to come together in real life. Make the best out of it and fully experience. Don't sit in your hotel room and polish your blog post, check twitter #sapteched where people are hanging at a bar. Tip Dueling Pianos just a blog down the street may be it, and come out and talk to people. That is what creates connection and friendships that last the long dark winter months before we see each other again at TechEd 2014 🙂

Former Member
0 Kudos

Christopher,

I am honored that you mentioned my blog post as a model for others. Yikes, now the pressure is on to top it with this year's posts :smile:

Both your tips and the comments being posted are going to help many attendees have a better TechEd experience. Thanks for your post and sparking a great discussion!

Cheers,

Gretchen

Former Member
0 Kudos

That's a great point, Mark. I should have put that caveat in there. Be sure to engage and be "in the moment" interacting with your friends and colleagues. Tweets during keynotes and such are pretty easy, but blog posts and long recaps can wait until later. Thanks for the important reminder.

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

No problem Gretchen! Your blog was an easy choice :smile: .

Hope to see you sometime in Las Vegas. I'm sure you'll be super busy but hopefully we'll see each other in the Clubhouse and/or at Jam Band!

Best,

Chris

former_member181915
Contributor
0 Kudos

Thanks for posting this, Chris! My family (mostly my kids) often ask me what I do for a living. I think I'll post a few Vines this year from the various SAP TechEd locations so that have a better idea. Looking forward to it!

See you in Vegas!

Jeanne

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

Good Morning,

Thank you so much for you sweet and kind words. Sure we will meet up soon!

Regards,

Hari Suseelan

KatiNonhebel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Hey Chris, this is great and understandable to-the point blog. I have the honor to be one of the Social Media reporters (Topic SAP Partners)for SAP TechEd 2013 and will be in Amsterdam. I think your blog is a great cheat sheet for me 🙂 All the Best! 🙂 Kati

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Jeanne! I've been saving my first-ever Vine videos for TechEd since there will be a lot of cool stuff to capture, esp. in the Clubhouse. Look forward to seeing you soon!

Chris

Former Member
0 Kudos

Hi Katarina,

Thanks for the kind words! I love the Social Media reporters program and will be looking forward to your posts in Amsterdam in a few weeks.

Btw I like your term "cheat sheet" as a way to describe this as a quick reference. I should've used it in the title 🙂

Thanks again!

Chris

KatiNonhebel
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

Looking forward to meet you again, and yes: the program is great - I am super excited to be the reporter for SAP Partners! I am going to post in English and German 🙂

Ok I have printed your blog (it is NOT waste of paper!)  and packed it into my #survivalpack, next to bandaids, waterbottle, chewing gum... 🙂 LOL

JasonLax
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

On the topic of connections (#6), there's the nifty SCNConnect iOS app you can use to connect (follow) other SCN members instantly.

former_member184472
Participant
0 Kudos

Chris,

Really great tips. Although I can't be onsite this year I'm passing this around for those that want to share their experience.  And thanks for the mention!

I love how the TE experience is allowing more and more people to participate. Very collaborative and lots of opportunities to be had. I'll be watching online!

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Sylvia! We'll miss you this year but hopefully next year you can join us! In the meantime we'll see you online 🙂

vivekbhoj
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Christopher,

Good stuff!

Very helpful

Regards,

Vivek

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Vivek! Hope to see you there 🙂

Best,

Chris

hemanth_kumar21
Contributor
0 Kudos

Very Informative.

marilyn_pratt
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi Chris,

This is my 8th year and still learning stuff about sharing stuff (and there's always new stuff to learn!)

Thanks for this great compendium.  I've just begun to enhance the experience on my Ipad with the new Teched Mobile App: http://www.sapteched.com/2013/usa/mobile/support.htm (I'm guessing this is the teaser).  It is really intuitive.

Former Member
0 Kudos

Thanks, Marilyn. Yes, the mobile app is the teaser :-). Going to update the post now. See you soon!

Best,

Chris

VitalyV
Advisor
Advisor
0 Kudos

This is what makes well organized event to a great crowd-amplified lifetime experience

0 Kudos

Chris, thanks for these valuable tips!