SAP TechEd Discussions
Join the conversation around SAP TechEd! Discuss details of technical sessions and workshops and anything else conference related.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just a few hours in and my head is already spinning ..

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

... with all the different terms mentioned on Channel 1! I actually started a "sticky note" collection yesterday with many terms and am trying to bring some order to it while watching TechEd sessions and discussion. All I've managed thus far, however is to get more instead of less confused! 🤔

SAPTechEd-Terms-V1.jpg

Is there already some kind of "map" for what goes where, like e.g. "only on premise", "only cloud" or "both on premise & cloud", or what is a "tool" or "process" or whatever?

My hope is, that once I can more easily place where a term belongs, I can then better judge where, how and why it might be needed and/or used.

Thanks for any pointers you might have!

15 REPLIES 15

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate
0 Kudos

Maybe you want to post those terms as text. The image is rather small and it's difficult to read many of them.

0 Kudos

Will do tomorrow when I have access again to the underlying file. I was hoping to get a full screenshot but sharing the file didn't quite work as I thought it should.

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

The image in the OP should now be legible after grabbing a larger screenshot. All the disjointed terms I have on there right now are a mixed bag as I'm trying to somewhat categorize them into things like platform, tool, process, etc.

Terms are: Process, DevOps, RISE with SAP, Tools, Eclipse, WebIDE, BTP, On Premise, Cloud, SAP Analytics Cloud, Fiori, Cloud Foundry, SAP Fiori Elements, AMDP, SAP Fiori Apps, CDS-Views, Steampunk, Kubernetes, Kyma Runtime, BOPF, BRF+, SAP Data Intelligence, RAP, SEGW, AppGyver

Interesting question and challenge as many of those terms will cross over into multiple different areas. I’ll poke a few folks and see if someone can help start making it a bit clearer for you.

0 Kudos

Thanks, Craig!

I already had the suspicion that it'll be tricky to depict on a two-dimensional virtual paper!

> "only on premise", "only cloud" or "both on premise & cloud", or what is a "tool" or "process" or whatever?

Let me share my view of how I could categorize each of these.  But others should also chime in with their viewpoint.

• DevOps - Process/Idea based often built upon open source tools.  The general idea is bluring the lines of what is traditional developer tasks and what are basis or system admin tasks. For example in the ABAP context gCTS and ABAPGit are both tools that would allow you to setup a DevOps process for moving code changes through your landscape. Can be used in both on premise and cloud although it probably became popular in the context of the cloud where scale and frequency of small code changes is higher. 
  • RISE with SAP - This is an SAP program or initiate that includes special licensing, agreements with partners, accelerators, and other tools to help customers speed up their move to S/4HANA and in particular S/4HANA Cloud
  • Eclipse - that's an open source foundation to build development tools.  SAP in the past (HANA, Fiori, etc) has used Eclipse as the starting point to build our own development tools as extensions that sit within Eclipse.  For example HANA Studio. The largest solution still using Eclipse in the SAP context is of course the ABAP Development Tools for Eclipse. ABAP tooling will remain based in Eclipse while most other tooling (CAP, Fiori, HANA native) have moved to browser based or VSCode based foundation to development tooling.  ADT is used for both on premise and cloud based development. 
  • WebIDE - SAP has built several development tools with slight variants named Web IDE. Primarily we had SAP Web IDE Full stack (for development on SAP BTP) and SAP Web IDE for SAP HANA (for HANA on premise development - specifically HDI and XSA based development). But SAP is no longer investing heavily in these Web IDE named browser based tooling; instead focusing on Business Application Studio and building our tooling as Extensions that can largely also be used in VSCode as well.
  • BTP - SAP Business Technology Platform. Those from the NetWeaver days might think of BTP as the next generation, cloud based version of NetWeaver.  It is the breath of SAP's technology offerings and components offered in the Cloud. It has multiple runtime options - Kyma, Cloud Foundry and ABAP being the main ones. 
  • SAP Analytics Cloud - SAP's cloud based offering for reporting, analysis, planning. Much of what we did on premise with BW Reporting or BOBJ is now within the scope of Analytics Cloud
  • Fiori - Market name for SAP's design system. Fiori itself isn't exactly a technology because it can usually be implemented via SAPUI5 or Fiori Fundamentals. But Fiori defines the consist user experience and visual language SAP Fiori | User Experience and Apps
  • Cloud Foundry - one of the runtimes offered in SAP BTP. It is a container based microservice runtime/application platform. Cloud Foundry – Open Source Cloud Native Application Delivery We offer standard, open source Cloud Foundry runtime on SAP BTP and SAP created it's own implementation of a subset of the Cloud Foundry APIs for on premise that we call XSA or SAP HANA extended application services, advanced model (the official name).
  • SAP Fiori Elements - Fiori Elements are applications built using the reusable Fiori floorplans and designed and shaped by the developer largely using annotations. Fiori Elements applications can be built and ran in both Cloud and On Premise and while you can use most any technology to implement them; modern Fiori Elements apps are often created using either SAP Cloud Application Programming Model or ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model
  • AMDP - ABAP Managed Database Procedures. A special feature of ABAP to all you to call HANA Stored Procedures via an ABAP Class method.  Available in both on premise and cloud based versions of HANA and enables code pushdown and access to HANA specific language features (SQLScript) that wouldn't otherwise be available in ABAP CDS or openSQL.
  • SAP Fiori Apps - the brand name for SAP delivered user interfaces that are built using Fiori guidelines and visual interface
  • CDS-Views - Core Data Services.  A syntax available in both ABAP core (on premise and Cloud) and within HANA Native/HANA Cloud and SAP Cloud Application Programming Model.  In both ABAP and CAP/HANA native versions; this is a syntax in this context to help with the creation of pushdown optimized database views (and HANA optimized as well). 
  • Steampunk - unofficial name for SAP BTP, ABAP Environment.  Basically the Cloud, hosted version of the ABAP runtime that you can use to write side by extensions for cloud and on premise S/4 systems but running on BTP in the cloud. Embedded Steampunk is a version of the SAP BTP, ABAP Environment 
  • Kubernetes - Another open standard for cloud based managed workloads and application runtime. See Kyma in the next line as well. What is Kubernetes? | Kubernetes
  • Kyma Runtime - SAP's open source project that collects many other open source tools and projects that extend Kubernetes.  Is the main Kubernetes based runtime offered as part of SAP BTP. SAP Discovery Center - Kyma Runtime (cloud.sap) and Kyma - An easy way to extend enterprise applications on Kubernetes. (kyma-project.io)
  • BOPF - ABAP Business Object Processing Framework.  A key technology for creating Fiori based apps on the ABAP Runtime although now it is largely replaced by ABAP RESTFul Application Programming Model moving forward.  Still available in S/4 on premise; but cloud based extensions should really use RAP instead. Business Object Processing Framework | SAP Community
  • BRF+ - Business Rules Framework + -- ABAP based decision table and end user maintainable reusable rules. 
  • SAP Data Intelligence - tool to help transform, connect, enrich and generally move data around your landscape - SAP Data Intelligence Cloud | Machine Learning and Data Integration Services
  • RAP - ABAP RESTful Application Model - next general ABAP based programming model for usage of CDS and Annotations to create OData Services and Fiori Elements based UIs.  Available in both on premise S/4, SAP BTP, and embedded within S/4HANA Cloud (embedded Steampunk) ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model - SAP Help Portal
  • SEGW - ABAP Transaction Code for the ABAP Gateway Builder.  The way that we created OData services on the ABAP stack before we had RAP. 
  • AppGyver - Recent acquisition that SAP made. The offering is a no-code development tool for creating iOS, Android and browser based user interfaces. AppGyver

Thanks a ton, Thomas! A pity, that I can only give it one Kudo!

It'll take me a while to digest all the information and to see if and how I could "merge" it with my rough and ready idea of visualization.

0 Kudos

It'll take me a "bit" of time to get my thoughts in order with the help of your extensive reply. But once I'm having a better handle on this as I have right now, I think I'm going to turn the information somehow into a blog post.

0 Kudos

Thomas,

This is terrific! 

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

Here is an updated version with even more notes on it:

SAPTechEd-Terms-V2.jpg

0 Kudos

Thank you so much for sharing this!

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

With the definitions and context provided by @thomas_jung upthread, I tried to get the stickie notes into some kind of order. The headings in the top row most likely are not correct yet and I'm fairly certain that many of the individual notes will need to move from one column to another (I'm all ears for suggestions!). But it's at least somewhat clearer for me now:

SAPTechEd-Terms-V3.jpg

0 Kudos

Hi All!

I'd be interested to know how close - or not - to a complete and correct picture my current compilation is. So please chime in with suggestions of what needs to be moved and re-colored. Once it's as complete as it'll most likely get, I'll turn it into a blog post.

Thank much and Cheers

Bärbel

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

former_member2505
Discoverer
0 Kudos

Great!!