SAP TechEd Discussions
Join the conversation around SAP TechEd! Discuss details of technical sessions and workshops and anything else conference related.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RAP vs. CAP vs. MTA

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

Asked in the global Chat of Chanel 1 By Kapil Jain

But RAP is a tool for creating creating OData services with Fiori Annotations for ABAP

CAP does much of the same functionality but in either Java or JavaScript and deployable to Kyma or Cloud Foundry

And an MTA is the way that we package Java, JavaScript and other microservice based applications for deployment to SAP BTP Cloud Foundry

Others are welcome to join in the Discussion

9 REPLIES 9

0 Kudos

May be if you can help with the scenario individually best fitting for RAP and CAP.

BaerbelWinkler
Active Contributor

@thomas_jung 

Hi Thomas,

would you mind adding what the abbreviations actually mean? Seeing it spelled out helps me - and possibly others - to remember them and to better place them where they belong in this ever more complex landscape.

Thanks!

thomas_jung
Developer Advocate
Developer Advocate

CAP - SAP Cloud Application Programming Model - capire - home (cloud.sap)

RAP - ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model - ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model - SAP Help Portal

MTA - Multi Target Application - Multitarget Applications in the Cloud Foundry Environment - SAP Help Portal

CarineTchoutouo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

0 Kudos

Which Model would be cost effective how to decide that ?  Any list of factors or any specific key factor ?

TammyPowlas
Active Contributor

I was going to link to Thomas's great presentation earlier this year from MasteringSAP, but I don't think it covers MTA: https://blogs.sap.com/2021/05/24/abap-is-not-dead-but-also-not-the-only-answer-summary-from-masterin... 

chathia
Explorer

I see a bit of difference in the concept of CAP vs RAP.

CAP is a open (though HANA as a primary) but requires skills of Node.js/Java to build apps. Here, we bring in new teams (Non-ABAP & no knowledge on SAP processes) and preach them processes, extension scenarios, What is SAP etc. to build an extension for S/4HANA.

If RAP (ABAP in Cloud) is also available now for S/4HANA (On-prem/Cloud) Extension use cases, of course we would be able to utilize our existing ABAPers (with upskill) and with their existing deep knowledge on processes, extensions points etc. to build apps in much easier way.

When this eventually happens, what are the real scenarios which CAP would like to address? Basically future of CAP. Would there be an ABAP variant of CAP like Node.js / Java?

Could you pls shed some lights? As this is a crucial situation as we are ramping up on CAP (Java) for S/4HANA extensions while we have 200s of ABAPers.

CarineTchoutouo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

The ABAP RESTful Application Programming Model (RAP) is available for the development of custom applications and APIs on SAP BTP ABAP Environment as well as on SAP S/4HANA on-premise starting with edition 1909 (see RAP FAQ).

As announced in the Executive Keynote yesterday, SAP is now offering the SAP S/4HANA Cloud, ABAP environment (aka embedded Steampunk) to support new extensibility options (so-called Developer Extensibility) on SAP S/4HANA Cloud. Embedded Steampunk provides a true cloud-ready development style based on the ABAP programming language using RAP, locally published APIs, and SAP Fiori design system

[update] The session DT104 gives an overview of the SAP S/4HANA Cloud Extensibility options. The sessions DT102 and DT106 are also related to SAP S/4HANA Extensibility.

0 Kudos

Hello Thomas,

I was taking a look at the BTP Learning Journey & it's associated Certification 'C_HCDEV_01' . They are mainly focusing on 'CAP'. Is there any SAP certification which is more inclined towards 'RAP'?.

I checked 'C_FIORIDEV_21', but this also doesn't cover the RAP.

'C_S4HDEV1909' Covers RAP but doesn't cover anything related to Cloud like in 'C_HCDEV_01' .Kindly suggest as I was looking for RAP(Cloud/On-premise) related certification.

Thanks!