SAP Women in Tech Discussions
Join the conversation in the SAP Women in Tech group or start your own discussion to share your thoughts, connect with the community, and build your network.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you know who we celebrate today?

SelinaGargiullo
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

To be honest, I’ve heard of Ada Lovelace and her work the first time this week. So, I wanted to share what I found out and see:    

Have you heard of Ada Lovelace before or maybe did you already get in touch with her work somehow or do you know other cases like Lovelaces?

Every second Tuesday in October we honor Augusta Ada Byron for writing the first ever computer program and is considered a pioneer of modern computer science. Among other things, the computer language ADA was named after her. What is so special about her is not the program itself, it would have been wrote by someone else sooner or later and it doesn’t have any use these days, but the fact that she wrote it a century before the invention of computers in 1843.

As many women in that century, she wasn’t recognized for her scientific work and needed to fight for her career. It was not until the middle of the 20th century, with the beginning of the computer age, that the importance of her writings was recognized.

0 REPLIES 0