SAP Women in Tech Discussions
Join the conversation in the SAP Women in Tech group or start your own discussion to share your thoughts, connect with the community, and build your network.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My "essentials" for finding the right profession

sveabecker
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

As mentioned in my previous thread, I have been part of the Girl’s Day on April 28 this year. The idea of the Girl’s Day is that women share their professional career stories to female pupils to give them an outline of "what's out there".

The session I was part of, has been organized by SAP, and I had the opportunity together with a few others of my great female SAP colleagues, to share my personal and professional story with female pupils in Germany, who are in 8-10th grade of school. It was a virtual event with different break out rooms where each of us presented in our personal room to a group of 4-5 girls. Afterwards, they moved to the next break out room and listened to the next presentation. At the end, I presented “my story” 4 times 😊

Everyone of us has its own business career story. Mine is not a linear professional career, as my video for the SAP Women in Tech initiative shows. And that is exactly what I want to deliver to children or teenagers, who are making up their minds about “what shall I do in the future”, “how will I find a job” and “what profession do I want choose”. In my opinion studying is not necessarily mandatory.

Let me share the main slide from my presentation:

Girls_Day_presentation_English_SveaBecker.jpg

These are “my” essentials when searching for a profession because you should keep in mind that it’s good to have a basic education as a foundation. That gives you the opportunity to refer back to if you need it. Consider to find something which you are passionate about. Remember, that you don’t limit yourself and that you trust yourself. Because you might be doing the job for a long time 😉

What do you think? What are “your essentials”? Looking forward to getting your thoughts! 😊

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----
2 REPLIES 2

On the interesting question of: Should you make your career your passion, or find a job that allows you to spend time on it outside of work?
Some thought provoking articles here:
https://hbr.org/2021/06/your-job-doesnt-have-to-be-your-passion

https://www.forbes.com/sites/juliawuench/2021/05/19/follow-your-passion-is-the-worst-career-advice-h...

Interesting question - for me both would be possible I guess 😊

But it doesn't necessarily mean that you do not have other passions which you can spend on time outside work. But in my opinion life would be more exhausting if you have a job which you don't like at all. 

----- Stay up-to-date with SAP Community and subscribe to What's New today! -----