Supply Chain Management Blogs by SAP
Expand your SAP SCM knowledge and stay informed about supply chain management technology and solutions with blog posts by SAP. Follow and stay connected.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Michael_Haase
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Dear friends of SAP TM,

In this blog post we will talk about the usage of the Standard Carrier Alpha Code (SCAC) in SAP TM.

The SCAC is a standardized code to identify carriers in transportation processes. And obviously, you want to use it also in SAP TM for freight orders and freight bookings to identify respective carriers.

The maintenance of the SCAC is done in customizing:

Some arbitrary examples are for instance (just sample test data, no real ones):

So you see, it's basically a code with a description and a validity.

At next you want to assign the SCAC to a carrier. This is done in transaction BP in role 'Carrier' (CRM010) where you have two possibilities:

At the tab 'Transport Data':

Or at the tab 'Identification':

As you see, the Identification Type 'BUP006' represents the SCAC.

Having assigned a unique SCAC to a carrier, you can now easily find your carrier in TM documents.

As an example, let's see the freight order:

Here, you can use the search help to find carriers. And in this search help you can also use the SCAC as filter

And in the freight order, the SCAC is also displayed:

Furthermore, in the freight order worklist the SCAC can be used to search freight orders by the used SCAC of a carrier.

As in this example, where all freight orders with SCAC 'TM42' are selected:

I hope this gives some insights how to apply the widely used SCAC to TM documents.

Feel free to comment, I appreciate!

Best regards,

Michael

7 Comments
former_member776435
Discoverer
Hello Michael,

Thank you for this post! As always in your posts I appreciate a lot of screenshots.

I would like to ask if the SCAC numbers are also used in the tracking functionalities of LBN and captured in xmls echanged with LBN and P44?

Kind regards
Dawid
Michael_Haase
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
Hello David,

Thanks a lot, I appreciate! 🙂

Yes, LBN is using the SCAC for tracking.

Best regards,

Michael
former_member828786
Discoverer
0 Kudos
Hi,

Thanks for the detailed blog. We are facing one issue.

We are using Decentral EWM, issue we are facing is in ECC SCAC code assigned in the Vendor master, but after distributing the vendor to EWM (Decentral-2021 version) through Idoc, SCAC code getting updated in LFA1 but not getting added in the BP automatically, neither in the Identification Tab nor in the Transport Data tab . Is there any additional setting beside the settings for Customer/Vendor integration in EWM we need to maintain to add the SCAC code automatically in BP through replication from ECC.

We have added the SCAC code in the EWM configuration under Config Node : Define Standard Carrier Alpha Code.
Michael_Haase
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Sanjib,

Thanks for your comment.

Unfortunately I have to tell you that I'm working in application Transportation Management and can't judge functionality in EWM.

Best regards,

Michael
tej_sap
Discoverer
0 Kudos
soumik05031982 We are also trying to figure out same issue . Did you find any solution to update SCAC code automatically in EWM BP once it is sent from ECC vendor master. Your reply is appreciated.

Thanks

Tejaswini
jiteshmehta
Active Contributor
0 Kudos
Hi Michael

Thank you for explanation, couple of questions

1. you have mentioned Maintain SCA at the tab ‘Transport Data’ or Or at the tab ‘Identification' BUP006 Standard Carrier Alpha Code, so either one of them is good enough to reflect in Freight Order?

2. same SCAC can be assigned to multiple bp records(Carriers) ? I checked sap note 3255657 Multiple SCAC Codes for a Single Vendor, but our business requirement is multiple vendor , same SCAC code

Michael_Haase
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos
Hello Jitesh,

Regarding your questions:

1. Yes, that's what I would assume, that either one of the possibilities to maintain SCAC takes in effect

2. I would assume that the SCAC is unique. What is the scenario here to assign this to several carriers?

Best regards,

Michael