cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two ECC systems and a decentralised EWM ( 1909 )

Hi Gurus,

I am looking for some best practices/guidance when we have two ECC systems ( one of them is from newly acquired company) and a decentralised EWM ( 1909 ). Kindly let me know if you can refer me to some SAP documentation or guidance from your own experience. My main area of concern in Master Data Management and Partner management.

Accepted Solutions (1)

Accepted Solutions (1)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi

"For my understanding, this means that we can connect to two Plants/sloc combination ( from two different Companies -having non-harmonized products) can be mapped to two different EWM 1909 warehouses. This is like two different implementations in same S4 EWM box."

I hope your understanding is NOT that you always connect two plants/sloc combinations to one warehouse. One warehouse means this is ONE physical complex. And would in your scenario your two plants really share one physical warehouse?

"But not possible to connect to one EWM warehouse as per current offering by SAP. Kindly let me know if my understanding is correct. Or even the first option is not possible."

This is not really the problem of the warehouse (number). The problem is on the system side "Connect the EWM client to multiple SAP ERP or SAP S/4HANA systems with harmonized master data". Client means that in one client the system can not really distinguish non-harmonized master data.

So I am afraid your understanding is not correct (at least how I understand the documentation). For the moment you need two separate EWM systems / clients if you have the EWM system on 1909 and two non-harmonized ERP systems. Which is maybe inconvenient, but really only a real problem if the two plants share the same physical warehouse.

Brgds

Juergen

0 Kudos

Thanks Juergen for your response.

To clarify my understanding, if two plants/sloc are residing in same ECC system/client then we can map them to single Decentralised EWM 1909 system/client. We may use single warehosue no ( for two plants ) or two warehosue nos ( one for each plant) in this scenario.

The main challenge is when the plants are using two separate ECC system/clients. In my case, two plants are using two different ECC system/clients( since this is an acquisition scenario - both plants having its own legacy ECC) and now they want to share a single physical warehouse ( to reduce cost ) which will be configured in a single Decentralised EWM 1909 system/client. ECC systems dont have harmonised master data.

So in this case we cannot go ahead with single EWM system/client as per current SAP offerings. Is this a fair statement ?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Can you please explain ( or refer material to study ) the below sentence.

"Client means that in one client the system can not really distinguish non-harmonized master data."

I am not very clear about what actually are the differences between harmonized and non-harmonized master data. My assumption is that harmonized means both the plants are using same product master. Can you please explain.

Thanks in advance,

Sayan

Answers (6)

Answers (6)

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert

Hi,

maybe as a first step you should study SAP Note "2840129 - Release information and restrictions of Decentralized EWM on S/4HANA 1909" and the attached document "RIN1909_EWM_Deployment_differences_V1_7.pdf" which lists what is officially released.

In this document, in the line "Connect the EWM client to multiple SAP ERP or SAP S/4HANA systems with harmonized master data" it says: "Supported with 1909 FPS1 for ERP with harmonized master data (customers / vendors / materials). Planned with 2020 for ERP with harmonized products but not harmonized customer vendor. Planned with a later release beyond 2020 for ERP with nonharmonized products".

I doubt that your two systems are in any way harmonized right now?

Brgds

Juergen

---

Want to learn EWM?
Check for EWM courses @ https://training.sap.com/trainingpath/Applications-Logistics+Execution+%26+Warehouse+Management-SAP+...
Get a SAP Learning Hub Subscription: https://training.sap.com/shop/learninghub

And it is EWM. NOT eWM - Duh!
And if your question includes the word "transfer order" - do NOT tag the question with Extended Warehouse Management!

0 Kudos

Thanks Jurgen,

You are right. Currently two ERP systems are not harmonised.

"Connect the EWM client to multiple SAP ERP or SAP S/4HANA systems with harmonized master data"

The document says that "Planned with a later release beyond 2020 for ERP with nonharmonized products".

For my understanding, this means that we can connect to two Plants/sloc combination ( from two different Companies -having non-harmonized products) can be mapped to two different EWM 1909 warehouses. This is like two different implementations in same S4 EWM box.

But not possible to connect to one EWM warehouse as per current offering by SAP.

Kindly let me know if my understanding is correct. Or even the first option is not possible.

Regards

Sayan

0 Kudos

Thanks a lot Ajit.

I have the same understanding after reading SAP document. But this analysis needs to be done manually when we are working on legacy ECCs i.e. first check for overlapping number ranges for master data ( product, vendor, customer ). If there is an overlap in NR , then there is a high probability that we have non-harmonized data as same code ( material no ) may point to two different materials in two ECCs.

This will be most common scenario but seems technically most complex. Hence SAP has plan to incorporate this scenario after 2020.

So I conclude that for now, we have to tell client that if you have two legacy ECC and using decentralized EWM 1909 then they will need two different EWM system/client ( boxes) and hence licences.

ajit.routray.ewm, juergen.pitz

Please let me know your view on conclusion part.

Ajit_Routray
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Those previous comments are my own personal regarding understanding about product.

My suggestion is You need to check with SAP (Via OSS Ticket or.....something else..) on conclusion part, SAP might have different solution (with small BADI...etc....) for you/your client on non-harmonized master data so it may stream line master data, system and licences........

juergen.pitz- your thought please.

Kind Regards,

Ajit

0 Kudos

Thanks Ajit. Agreed.

Ajit_Routray
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi juergen.pitz sp82

"And definition of harmonized master data in simple terms is -- same "number range" should not be shared two ERP systems i.e. same product ( or customer or vendor ) number example 1000XXX2 should not be present in two different ECC system.

Is this understanding correct ?"-> Yes, Same product/vendor/customer might have different code in different ERP.

My Understanding about Harmonized and Non-Harmonized:

Assume Product is X

Harmonized:

Example:1

Assume Product is X , Product code for X(Material Number) is 1 in ERP1 and Product code(Material Number) for X is 50000001 in ERP2. Number range of MAterial is starting 1 to 50000000 in ERP1 and Number range of MAterial is starting 50000001 to 100000000 in ERP2

Example 2:

Product code for X(Material Number) is 1 in ERP1 and Product code(Material Number) for X is 1 in ERP2. Number range of MAterial is starting 1 to 50000000 in ERP1 and Number range of MAterial is starting 1 to 50000000 in ERP2

Non-harmonized:

Example:1

Product code for X(Material Number) is 1 in ERP1 and Product code(Material Number) for X is 10 in ERP2 (Here Product code/Material Number 1 is belongs to different product/properties Y). Number range of MAterial is starting 1 to 50000000 in ERP1 and Number range of MAterial is starting 1 to 50000000 in ERP2

Same applicable to vendor/customer.....

Please suggest if you have further cases.

Please correct if any thing wrong.

Kind Regards,

Ajit

JuergenPitz
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Maybe I am overthinking this. I have no practical experience with such a scenario.

Brgds

Juergen

Ajit_Routray
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi sp82

Please check page 16-22 for the understanding of Harmonized and Non-harmonized.

Source:

“What’s New in SAP EWM S/4HANA 1909 FSP1” presentation in

https://blogs.sap.com/2020/02/25/sap-extended-warehouse-management-s-4hana-1909-fsp1-development-ove...

Kind Regards,

Ajit

PS: I had the same confusion regarding Harmonized and Non-harmonized.

0 Kudos

Thanks Ajit,

This is really helpful.

The note says :

==========================================================================================

Supported with 1909 FPS1 for ERP with harmonized master data (customers / vendors / materials).

Planned with 2020 for ERP with harmonized products but not harmonized customer vendor.

Planned with a later release beyond 2020 for ERP with non-harmonized products

==========================================================================================

And definition of harmonized master data in simple terms is -- same "number range" should not be shared two ERP systems i.e. same product ( or customer or vendor ) number example 1000XXX2 should not be present in two different ECC system.

Is this understanding correct ? if yes, is there any particular way we can find out if two ECC does have harmonised or non-harmonised master data ?

It seems if we have harmonized master data (customers / vendors / materials) then EWM 1909 can be mapped to two ECCs.

Regards

Sayan

Ajit_Routray
Active Contributor
0 Kudos

Hi sp82

Please check page 16-22 for the understanding of Harmonized and Non-harmonized.

Source:

“What’s New in SAP EWM S/4HANA 1909 FSP1” presentation in

https://blogs.sap.com/2020/02/25/sap-extended-warehouse-management-s-4hana-1909-fsp1-development-ove...

Kind Regards,

Ajit

PS: I had the same confusion regarding Harmonized and Non-harmonized.

shailesh_mishra5
Product and Topic Expert
Product and Topic Expert
0 Kudos

Hello Sayan,

You can check SAP documentation as below connecting 2 ERP system with EWM system.

Check the solution manager content.

https://wiki.scn.sap.com/wiki/display/SCM/Solution+Manager+for+Implementation

Best regards

Shailesh Mishra

0 Kudos

Thanks Shailesh.

This documentation seems to be for SCM EWM 9.5. I am looking for EWM S4 1909. Kindly let me know your view on that.